[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does this make me want to hang myself?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: image_8.jpg (190 KB, 1024x675) Image search: [Google]
image_8.jpg
190 KB, 1024x675
Why does this make me want to hang myself?
>>
File: Shakespeare_SW.jpg (1 MB, 1577x2399) Image search: [Google]
Shakespeare_SW.jpg
1 MB, 1577x2399
But this actually gets a smile out of me?
>>
cause you're an autist sperglord who should go off himself
>>
>>7455451
Because of bullshit publishers that can't accept the fact they should go out of business and declare bankruptcy.
>>
Because the former is a disgusting attempt to make a quick buck by rewriting a classic in order to pander to a demographic just stupid enough to be turned off by the original work, but just smart enough not to fall for the gimmick anyway.
Whereas the latter is a legitimate labour of love in which a writer takes a story they like and adapts it into another medium, actually showing a proper understanding of both, and some ingenuity of his own along the way.
>>
:(
>>
>>7455451
It's to help the average student who does not enjoy Shakespeare as an author and only wants to grasp the basic plot and basic elements of his plays. Some like Shakespeare, others don't, get the fuck over it.
>>
>>7455451
wuts wrong with multiculturalism, OP? It's still in english, just a different dialect. It's a good way to reach diverse youth. Are you a racist?
>>
>>7455452
C-3PO Now is the summer of our happiness
Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!
Our ship is under siege, I know not how.
O hast thou heard? The main reactor fails!
We shall most surely be destroy’d by this.
I’ll warrant madness lies herein!
R2-D2 - Beep beep,
Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, beep, beep, whee!

top kek
>>
File: 1448673229548.jpg (32 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
1448673229548.jpg
32 KB, 514x536
>>7455455
Emphasis on this.
>>
>>7455451
Because you don't know the difference between a kid's book and books for adults?
>>
Because you're a two dollar faggot and the slightest of changes threatens to shatter the tiny microcosm you've fashioned for yourself. Stop jacking off to anime, junior. it's making you goofy even by Internet standards
>>
>>7455467
its the same book
>>
i don't even understand the photo, what is it
>>
Because someone without the same veneration for literature that you have has found a way to make money off of retards and is making said money.
>>
File: 1413001128185.gif (989 KB, 300x170) Image search: [Google]
1413001128185.gif
989 KB, 300x170
>people in this thread are unironically defending this
>>
>>7455559
It's easily ignored for normal people.

Whining about it seems kind of lame, even if you (erroneously) believe it's dumbing kids down. The books exploit the lazy & dumb kids who would be lazy & dumb anyway. So what's the what?
>>
>>7455455
Rope or gun?
>>
>>7455484
Build wall.
Leave ceviche.

>>7455495
Act 1, page 3 if I remember right.

>>7455552
The first is "Romeo and Juliet" re-imagined as text messages, and the second is "Star Wars: A New Hope rewritten as a Shakespearian era play.
>>
nobody takes this shit seriously unlike the novels of john green which my generation basically look to as giving them advice for dealing with the rough shit in their lives which is seriously bad news senpai... he has no conception of first causes or last ends, nothing but cheap little gimmicks and particulars but everyone around me acts like brainwashed, disavowing what's inside them. that is enough to make one angry and unhappy, not a joke book that people buy to show love to their friends (basically the book equivalent of a whoopie cushion vs a creeping cancer)
>>
>>7455451
Why does everyone get so mad at this?

The avg middleschooler would understand this better than reading some annotated translation. It's not like its existence makes the original copies of shakespeare's plays disappear. Just get the fuck over it, you fucking idiots.
>>
>>7456461
You completely subtract all possible symbolic and abstract understanding of a given piece when you do shit like that though. It's just lazy...
>>
>>7456602
Their loss, man. Who gives a fuck.

There are multiple options for everything, and most people opt for the no frills discounted route. You might as well be on /ck/ whining about how most people eat McDonald's and their palates are trash.

Yeah, their palates are trash. So they eat at McDonald's. Likewise, kids who buy these Shakespeare emoji versions have brains that are trash. So they don't give a fuck about "symbolic or abstract understanding".

There are always going to be retards around. Someone has to haul our garbage to the dump.
>>
>>7456625
implying those people don't enjoy mcdonald's

you might not like the idea of it, and your idea about it does effect how you experience it, but on some basic level, you fucking like it
>>
>>7456461
it doesn't bother me or anything. i guess some people might enjoy the novelty. but if you're middle school age and have no interest in reading shakespeare and would actually rather read something like this than work your way through the real language, you'll probably never benefit from reading shakespeare anyway.

which is fine, not everyone should have to care about literary stuff. but don't pretend this is a 'gateway' or anything. anyone who will ever become well read or appreciate literature will have never wanted to read something like this rather than the real thing.
>>
Why is this so bad? It's just making Shakespeare more accessible for contemporary readers? Why is that such a bad thing? Shakespeare is in need of modernization anyway. If you disagree it's probably just cause you're pretentious.
>>
>>7455451
Because you think everything you like should be held to your own standards, if it was Harry Potter would you care? There is no difference except in your opinion of the subject matter. Its advertising not designed to appeal to you, thats all. Do you rail at MacDonalds for the picture of a burger that does not resemble the food?

You think the advertising in your pic makes the subject matter worse, less valuable, less elite, you are literally judging the book by its cover
>>
>>7456857
>he doesn't judge books by their cover

Hallo Reddit
>>
>>7455451
it doesn't. you're pretending to care about Shakespeare and you don't want to hang yourself
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.