[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gene Wolfe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 60211.jpg (60 KB, 318x463) Image search: [Google]
60211.jpg
60 KB, 318x463
So what does /lit/ really think about this beyond it being "genre"?
>>
>>7455421
Book of the new sun is killer. It's the only sci fi i've ever read that really ages well. Not embarrassed to put it on the book shelf.
>>
People talk about how BOTNS, and all of Wolfe's work, "transcends the genre," as if that's some amazing thing.

It's not really THAT hard, though. If you want to rise above the normal tedium of science fiction and fantasy, you just need to write science fiction and fantasy that's influenced by stuff that isn't OTHER science fiction and fantasy. You need to treat it as actual literature, and draw on other literature when crafting it.

Wolfe is a prime example. He has influences in science fiction and fantasy, of course--BOTNS owes a huge debt to Jack Vance--but Wolfe also draws a lot of influence from more literary writers, like Borges, Proust, Chesterton, and Joyce. Tolkien's another example. He was influenced by some other fantasy writers--notably Robert E. Howard--but also by Beowulf, by the Eddas, and, of course, by the Bible.

The trick to writing science fiction and fantasy that stands as literature is to get out of the noxious, insular atmosphere of the genres. Read other shit too.
>>
Probably my favorite book. Gene Wolfe is an excellent writer.
>>
really dry and monotone t b h. wolfe being a greater writer makes it sting even more t b h
>>
>>7455421
Holy shit. This is by far my favorite work of fantasy fiction, and one of my favorite works of fiction regardless of genre or category.

I like science fiction because it shows how science and technology impacts and influences human culture.

One of the things that makes The Book of the New Sun so interesting is that it questions the assumption many people have that technological progress is everlasting, and presents a world that reflects how people's lives have been throughout most of human history, i.e., that things won't change, and the world they were born into will be the same world they die in.

Near the end of the book, the Autarch tells Severian that he is working to maintain the world as it is because history has shown that their current socioeconomic climate is the most sustainable one for humanity.

That's something I always think about - what the best world from a practical standpoint.

I could go on about this book forever, but I'll stop here.
>>
>>7455516
>The trick to writing science fiction and fantasy that stands as literature is to get out of the noxious, insular atmosphere of the genres.

If it's so easy, then why haven't you become a successful fantasy?

I'm sorry - I know you're just some shitposting jackass, but you make it so easy for anyone on this board to ridicule you.
>>
>>7456042
why r u so angry faggot mad that ur at home on saturday night? maybe if u were less of an angsty faggot u wudnt be shunned
>>
I've read 3/4 of the series and so far it's only an okay quest story. Interesting world, some fun situations, but I'm not really compelled by Severian.

Everyone says I have to read it again multipule times to "really understand what's going on" or whatever, but I dunno if I really care about that. I want more out of a novel rather than crossword puzzles.
>>
>>7456051
But who was phone?
>>
IDK what "genre" means outside of a justification for putting works that share traits together.

If you're saying it pejoratively, I'd note that all works can be compared in this way, and are thus, "genre." It is impossible to transcend accurate comparison, as: ART IS IMITATION, CREATION IS FOREVER, INNOVATION IS SPONTANEOUS NEVER
>>
>>7456042
>why haven't you become a successful fantasy
I don't think you understand anon. You become successful by aping those before you in the spec-fi fields. Taking influence from actual books grants you artistic integrity, sacrificing mass appeal
>>
>>7455421
You again? The only good part of this series is the first half of the first book.
>>
"There are no genres, there are only talents." - Jean-Francoise Revel
>>
>>7455421
Havent read this, but the second book of the Malazan series, Deadhouse Gates, is clearly channeling the betrayal of Hussein at Karbala, and the anabasis of Xenophon.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.