[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which edition should I purchase? Or, should I get another one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
Which edition should I purchase?
Or, should I get another one completely?
>>
Basic writing of nietzsche modern library
>>
>>7455111
i don't mean to hijack this thread good sir, but if i want to start reading Nietzsche do i need to read someone else before? or i can get straight to him?
>>
Avoid Kaufmann at all costs, I only read the Ludovici translations and I recommend you do the same.
>>
>>7455146
Beyond Good and Evil is only 100 or so pages, no loss in just jumping straight in and seeing how it goes.
>>
>>7455195
alright some sort of /lit/ sticky says that i need to read Schopenhauer first?
>>
>pengin
dont do it
>>
>>7455146
>>7455220
You don't /have/ to read anything in order to read Nietzsche, but you're going to misunderstand his writing terribly. But that's that re-reading's for.
>>
Either/Or
>>
>>7455111
>ever choosing Penguin over Oxford World's Classics
what?
>>
>>7455146
>good sir
You already read Nietzsche. You just don't know it yet.
>>
>>7455582
He's an edgelord. Kaufmann can be a little annoying in the footnotes at trying to sanitize Nietzsche, but he is a better scholar.
Hollingdale for Zarathustra though, he's a better writer.
>>
>>7455582
Garbage.
>>
>>7456023
>Kaufmann can be a little annoying in the footnotes at trying to sanitize Nietzsche
Holy shit, is this true. I have BG&E by Kaufmann and there's a fucking footnote every single god damn time Nietzsche says anything at all about women having inferior minds than men. It always like 5 sentences of Kaufmann saying "of course in this modern age we know this is wrong and women can do whatever they want" or something to that degree. No shit the view of women in the late twentieth century is friendlier than in the nineteenth, doesn't mean you need to make Nietzsche all fucking PC holy shit /pol/ was right
>>
>>7455223
nice meme
>>
Anyone read any swedish translations? Is the one by Nikanor Teratologen any good? I've already read it but it's good to know anyways,
>>
Read it in German you pleb
>>
>Übersetzungen
>>
>>7457078
>>7457293

Ah yes, the ebinest meme on /lit/ makes another appearance. Literally every thread, as predictable as anything. Really wish people would fuck off with this low-effort, low-quality "lel >translations xDD" shit, especially since it's often the same people who later go on to say how beautiful the Bible is in spite of not having read it in Hebrew or Koine Greek.
>>
File: 1427202056630.jpg (563 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1427202056630.jpg
563 KB, 900x900
>>7457293
>>7457078
>It is neither the best nor the worst of a book that is untranslatable.
http://www.lexido.com/EBOOK_TEXTS/HUMAN_ALL_TOO_HUMAN_BOOK_ONE_.aspx?S=184
>>
>>7457078
>>7457293
Nietzsche is one of the best authors in translation. Somehow even with mediocre translators the magic of his prose is never lost.
>>
>>7456575
>Nietzsche
>compatible at all with /pol/
Everything else about your post is right, but Nietzsche would loath /pol/. If there's any nationality that Nietzsche thinks is inferior to all nationalities, it's German. He's a racist and sexist par excellence, but a very unconventional one.
>>
>>7457460
How is Nietzsche racist?
>>
>>7457456
he left a clue in his essay about david strauss
>check whether your shit still makes sense if you translate it into latin

his writing tips to lou salome:
1. Of prime necessity is life: a style should live.

2. Style should be suited to the specific person with whom you wish to communicate. (The law of mutual relation.)

3. First, one must determine precisely “what-and-what do I wish to say and present,” before you may write. Writing must be mimicry.

4. Since the writer lacks many of the speaker’s means, he must in general have for his model a very expressive kind of presentation of necessity, the written copy will appear much paler.

5. The richness of life reveals itself through a richness of gestures. One must learn to feel everything — the length and retarding of sentences, interpunctuations, the choice of words, the pausing, the sequence of arguments — like gestures.

6. Be careful with periods! Only those people who also have long duration of breath while speaking are entitled to periods. With most people, the period is a matter of affectation.

7. Style ought to prove that one believes in an idea; not only that one thinks it but also feels it.

8. The more abstract a truth which one wishes to teach, the more one must first entice the senses.

9. Strategy on the part of the good writer of prose consists of choosing his means for stepping close to poetry but never stepping into it.

10. It is not good manners or clever to deprive one’s reader of the most obvious objections. It is very good manners and very clever to leave it to one’s reader alone to pronounce the ultimate quintessence of our wisdom.
>>
>>7455598

To understand his arguments and critiques of other philosophers you kinda need to read those guys.

You should at least have a passing knowledge of the Greeks (Plato especially), Kant, Schopenhauer, and Christian ideology to understand his arguments against them.
>>
>>7457456

OK

>Als Zarathustra dreissig Jahr alt war, verliess er seine Heimat und den See seiner Heimat und gieng in das Gebirge.

Literally not possible to translate to English.

Thomas Common:

>When Zarathustra was thirty years old, he left his home and the lake of his home, and went into the mountains.

Not only is the rhythm and feeling completely loss, but there are words littered through the entire text (like 'Heimat' here) that are completely untranslatable.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.