[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whose entire body of work is worth reading? Hard mode: no Greeks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: stack-of-books2.jpg (170 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
stack-of-books2.jpg
170 KB, 500x357
Whose entire body of work is worth reading?

Hard mode: no Greeks

I'd nominate Nietzsche, Hume, Braudel, Kafka, perhaps Nabokov.
>>
>>7454436
Marx
>>
>>7454436
>I don't even like most of my top 10 favourite authors' works
k then
>>
Frank Herbert.
>>
Hegel.
>>
Herman Hesse and George Orwell
>>
>>7454436

Borges. (I haven't read all of it; I understand that some of his earliest work in particular doesn't speak beyond its time and place and isn't as worthwhile as the rest.)

Almost all of Dostoyevsky is well worth reading. (I've read all of his fiction. Less-worthwhile works are The Adolescent, Poor Folk, Novel in Nine Letters, 'The Jealous Husband,' and maybe a couple other short stories.)

I understand that Joyce's works outside of the main four aren't compelling. (I've read those four.)

Wallace: I found IJ, Pale King, Oblivion, A Supposedly Fun Thing, and Consider the Lobster worthwhile; I didn't think Girl with Curious Hair, Both Flesh and Not (as a whole), or Everything and More were. (I suspect that Brief Interviews is worthwhile, and that Broom of the System and This is Water [as a separate volume] are not.)

Lem: basically everything I've read of his has been worthwhile, and I would think the rest would hold up.
>>
John Kennedy O'Toole
>>
>>7454494
Borges wrote an enormous amount of essays, over 1000. Many are mediocre. Also a couple of his later stories are weak imo.
>>
>>7454460
this and Heidegger, Wittgenstein and Merleau-Ponty.
>>
John Kennedy Toole
>>
>>7454494
>Almost all of Dostoyevsky is well worth reading.
so basically nothing past his 5 most popular novels is worth reading?
>>
Salinger, Kafka, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Hume, Cioran, Raduan Nassar, Schopenhauer
>>
unless the author has 2-3 works, no one.
>>
what has Nabokov wrote that isn't worth reading?
>>
>>7454713
Everything.
>>
>>7454713
his short stories
>>
>>7454580

I mentioned specifically what I think is less worthwhile and said everything else is worthwhile, which is much more than five works.
>>
Gabo
>>
Everyone loves to shitpost about le greeks, but I would heavily recommend Livy. He has no exact parallel in early Greek writers, but I would argue that he gives a similarly fun if biased/romanticized history as does Herodotus and maybe Xenophon. He isn't perfectly factual but, is a compelling intro to Roman history and culture.
>>
Out of the ones that havnt yet been posted here

Bolano
Tolstoy
Burroughs
Hemingway
Camus
Konrad Bayer
Julian Gracq
>>
>>7454436
I feel this way about Brautigan.
>>
>No Shakespeare

I'm actually quite surprised, /lit/

Don't tell me you all actually haven't read Cymbeline or Coriolanus?

You've at least read The Comedy of Errors, right?
>>
>>7454925
>that filename
>consularship
>not consulship

Which one of you illiterate retards did this
>>
>>7454436
>Braudel

the historian?

nice i never see him mentioned here

op confirmed patrician
>>
Epicurus, if only his works hadn't been lost.
>>
>>7456399

No Greeks.
>>
Camus
>>
>>7456419
Fine.

The works of Marcus Aurelius.
>>
>Wilde
>Joyce?
>Rand (in for a penny in for a pound)
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.