[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you guys recommend reading this book or something similar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
Would you guys recommend reading this book or something similar for someone new to serious reading? I can read just fine but don't feel I absorb as much as I'd like.
>>
I'd avoid it personally. Just read a lot of good books, read the intros and notes that come with them. But mainly enjoy and experience the book. Don't get worried about 'the correct way to read'. You'll become a better reader with experience.
>>
It's shit.

Get Reading Like a Writer and/or How to Read Literature.
>>
>>7454068

I wouldn't recommend it. It's pretty old and some of the sections are useless.

For someone getting into "serious reading" (and by that I assume you mean getting into literary novels and the classics and stuff), I'd recommend pic related, which is mostly about analyzing symbolism and subtext, so you'll understand a story's themes and overall get a deeper understanding of a piece of literature.
>>
Best way to learn how to appreciate a book is to fart around with writing yourself
>>
I bet 95% of whatever is written in this book is already intuitive to you and will be largely suplerfluous. If you don't absorb as much as you'd like you should just experiment with new ways of annotating your shit and studying these notes.

Also try reading and rereading selected parts of the books you read in different intervals of time and you'll have a better notion of how your memory works and which one works out better for you
>>
File: collection.jpg (180 KB, 640x578) Image search: [Google]
collection.jpg
180 KB, 640x578
I never really read books my whole life.

Then I was trying to get into feminism and decided to force myself to read one of the classics: Woman Hating. (http://radfem.org/dworkin)

Since then I've read through about 7 books by Andrea Dworkin and am yet not bored.

I'm afraid of moving to other feminist authors because I fear I'll be bored and then feel guilty.
>>
>>7454151
Dworkin go back to sleep
>>
>>7454152
She's been sleeping for 10 years.
I wonder when she will wake up.

;_;
>>
>>7454151

Kill yourself
>>
>>7454068

I found it worthwhile. It focused my reading. I thought the part about notes and marginalia was helpful.
>>
>>7454068
There was a good thread about these kinds of books recently.
>>
File: 1425798936925.png (483 KB, 529x470) Image search: [Google]
1425798936925.png
483 KB, 529x470
>>7454229
y-you too
>>
File: feminazi.jpg (8 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
feminazi.jpg
8 KB, 400x240
>>7454151
Who gets into feminism? That is like saying you want to get into being a White Supremacist.
>>
>>7454334

Yeah I mean at least have the good taste to say that you're trying to get into post-modern dialectical discourse or something
>>
File: 1421836476192.gif (260 KB, 266x207) Image search: [Google]
1421836476192.gif
260 KB, 266x207
>>7454334
>"feminazi"
>a term coined by a retarded conservative Murrican
>the Nazi actually persecuted feminists
3/10 made me put a little effort into my reply
>>
>>7454379
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7454384
Did you mean to quote >>7454334?
>>
>>7454393
>'No'
>>
>>7454399
What the fuck are you doing?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.