[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he the Camus of our time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: Houellebecq_3166222b.jpg (49 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Houellebecq_3166222b.jpg
49 KB, 620x387
Is he the Camus of our time?
>>
Don't compare the sexiest existentialist there ever was with that jaded cave troll.
>>
>>7453810
I mean that they're both popular French literary authors who engage with important ideas of and about their time in the form of accessible novels.

He seems to fill the same niche.
>>
>>7453810
>he's probably never even read "The Map and Its Territory"
Kys my man and so on
>>
>>7453905
It's on the list. Only read "Whatever" so far.
>>
File: paralysed frenchman.jpg (95 KB, 511x683) Image search: [Google]
paralysed frenchman.jpg
95 KB, 511x683
the eternal decadent
>>
>>7453919
He is strongly against decadence
>>
He's the Dostoyevsky of our time...
>>
>>7453925
I know, and that is rather ironic.
>>
>>7453925
then why is he so paralysed, impotent, weak and depressing?
thats sum ape of zarathustra shit right there.
>>
>>7453970
Fuck off normie.
>>
>>7453970
Nietzsche was also paralysed, impotent, weak and depressing. That's exactly why those lads now about the horrors of decadence, they can observe it in themselves.
>>
I bet the mainstream will jump onto the Houellebecq trend when its too late after his suicide. He is basically the only living author putting out amazing books that we know about
>>
>>7454154
"We" meaning "/lit/" of course
>>
Yes, they're both for edgy teenagers
>>
>>7454146
and nobody hesitates to call him decadent except the blindest fanboys.
>>
>>7454146
I don't see why Nietzsche is so wanked over when he was exactly what he hated and probably hadn't seen real conflict in his whole life.

Why do people take him seriously when he didn't practise what he preached? Serious question, I'm not being facetious.
>>
File: TARD YOOOO.jpg (26 KB, 176x220) Image search: [Google]
TARD YOOOO.jpg
26 KB, 176x220
submission wuz p. dope IMO

HUES MANS US!
>>
>>7454183
Nietzsche said himself said that he was both doctor and patient in a sense, that he had decadence in him, but also, or perhaps therefore, a keen eye (or nose as he would say) for it.

While he was a weakling in a lot of ways, I wouldn't say he didn't practise what he preached. His health was shitty, but he spent his life living a Spartan existence dedicated to his philosophy.
>>
>>7454172
Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that there is no dissonance between being decadent and being against decadent. It's not like being decadent is a choice.
>>
>>7454183
he became self-aware and tried to show a possible way out.
zarathustra is like ideal nietzsche stripped from decadence.
meanwhile houellebecq channels his ressentiment against hippies, his mom, or whatever else he blames.
>>
File: 0354 - 8lcXb2Z.jpg (82 KB, 374x363) Image search: [Google]
0354 - 8lcXb2Z.jpg
82 KB, 374x363
>ywn be Michel and mystify critics and readers alike with 0-effort novels
>>
>>7453808
>>7453810
There's always a comment about his appearance whenever holluebecq threads pop up.

Is it meming or do people seriously judge a guy's work based on how he looks?
>>
>>7453905
No one ever talks about Map and Territory on /lit/. I thought it was nice. Pretty comfy for a Houellebecq book, calm, confident, no edgy or forced passages.
I find him refreshing because he criticises European society from the right, but his position is not fascist, its more traditional and "natural". If anyone knew more (contemporary) writers who write about this, fiction or not, I'd be grateful.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.