[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What will poetry even look like in post-ashbery world /lit/erates?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: JohnAsbery.jpg (6 KB, 286x289) Image search: [Google]
JohnAsbery.jpg
6 KB, 286x289
What will poetry even look like in post-ashbery world /lit/erates?
>>
>>7453417

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxtVorLYnds
>>
>>7453429
I've seen this posted before, still gives me chills.
>>
>>7453441

Their slam poetry debate reminds me of babies arguing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JmA2ClUvUY
>>
>>7453444

i want to have children now right now

sometimes if i'm alone too long i start holding a baby in my arms and rocking it back and forth.

i just dont know if my girlfriend will be a good mother :(
>>
>>7453417
Comprehensible, with any luck.

"I feel like a turd naming names, but the poet John Ashbery’s reputation is inflated enough to take it. He’s a smart guy with a genius ear for music. In my besotted youth, I wrote a 100-plus-page essay on “Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror,” then later recanted. His poems are about (he admits this) zippo, and his seductive voice is the most poisonous influence in American poetry. You know those page-long pieces of his in The New Yorker you can’t comprehend? Neither can anybody else. A brilliant, modest guy, immensely charming, but the most celebrated unclothed emperor in U.S. letters today — an invention of academic critics."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/27/books/review/mary-karr-by-the-book.html?_r=0

In any event, I'm waiting for Some Trees to reach $300 before I list mine for sale. Could be any month now.
>>
You read any of Ben Lerner's poetry?
>>
I'm an absolute pleb when it comes to poetry beyond Eliot, some Pound, even less Mayakovsky, you see the trend here...anyway I've been wanting to ask about poetry for awhile on here. I used to write free verse that got serious praise from my English teacher senior year. he told me in private that my poetry's lack of epiphanies and huge turnarounds in life were appealing and showed a maturity and voice he liked, which fucking floored me because I was just writing short almost journal-y poems. Since then I went to college and realized I was a retard and not ready for advanced academia and my inspiration kinda fell off.
So, anyway, how would you direct me back into poetry?
>>
boring and bad. at least eliot and pound had the veneer of erudition to hide behind their hackery. he just has smaltz. which isn't bad I guess and is in many ways preferable to the former, at least one is readable despite being prosaic.
>>
>>7453862
>So, anyway, how would you direct me back into poetry?

Just get a good anthology (I recommend the Norton Anthonolgy of Poetry) and start wherever you like.
>>
>>7453862
I hold the hard-won and deeply developed conviction that from the late 60s to the early aughties, Mark Strand redefined the state of the art of verse in English.

He was perhaps the last of the Norton line of descent. Smart enough to abandon the voices of the fathers, original enough to create his own, indebted and humble enough to converse with the traditions of the canon in styles and structures which, while showing virtuoso mastery of lexical architecture, could never be stained with the label of "formalist."

Take a look at Sleeping With One Eye Open, Violent Storm, Eating Poetry, and then the entire volume of Continuous Life (it fits in a suit pocket).

If the US position were created to be as serious as the UK equivalent, Strand would have held the Poet Laureate position from the year he had it, till the day he died last year, and no one would have protested. Like Hawking's Lucasian chair.
>>
Awesome. I'm going to the bookstore now. Happy birthday to me.
>it's my dad's birthday too if anyone cares
>>
>>7453862

Your high school teacher sounds like an Olsen/BlackMountain College pleb. . .
>>
>>7453834

Ben Lerner isn't a poet, he's a total fraud, like Berrigan on steroids

His fiction is awful too
>>
>>7454123
What's wrong with Berrigan?
>>
>>7454153

have you ever read "The Sonnets?" They're dumb little collage-poems. Really just an artifact of their time, so they're interesting in that sense when we look back on the retarded culture of the sixties and seventies art movements. But Lerner is basically that with a few modern words like "Nintendo" in his poems. He's not even an artifact, he's just a fraud.
>>
>>7454123
Ashbery's legacy. They won't stop until they've burned the whole thing to the ground and nothing but the cold ashes remain of intelligibility.
>>
>>7454190

Well, I'm one who dislikes his legacy but like Ashbery himself. I think he was going to happen anyways, and he happened wonderfully. Convex Mirror, Some Trees, and a select few poems between those two collection are pretty great, and he's the most creative living poet. But like Merwin he lost all of his poetic ability in the 70s.

> They won't stop until they've burned the whole thing to the ground and nothing but the cold ashes remain of intelligibility.

well you know, there are tons of good authors and artists out there that ignored the modernity experiment entirely. Academia is fucked, oh well, let it go to hell. Academia really is unimportant today. The next few decades will call for a restructure of everything, and it's an exciting time to be writing/being an artist, because the ashes are there and a forest needs to regrow.

the sixties-2000s will largely be seen as a non-period, much like 18th century poetry in general, with very very very few exceptions.
>>
I think it will mainly be poems about ice cream or young hegelians.
>>
>>7453875
>eliot and pound hacks

edgy opinion
really b8
>>
>>7453875
eliot's a hack?
do you also think shakespeare is hugely overrated?
do you also think mozart is trash?
>try
>harder
>>
>>7453862
Helen Vendler's "Poems Poets Poetry: an Introduction and Anthology" is a pretty standard intro text
>>
File: Mug.jpg (13 KB, 142x204) Image search: [Google]
Mug.jpg
13 KB, 142x204
>>7454827
>tfw Elliot with Pound is like Carver without Gish
>tfw Pound will never be 0.475 Kilogram
>tfw you will never do the police in different voices
>>
>>7454187
I think they're interesting collage-poems
>>
>>7454202
interesting opinion. in what way is academia dead? why does it need restructuring, and why is 60s-2000 a non-era? I don't disagree with you but I want to see your argument
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.