[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for a Masterpiece
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1449529608412.jpg (86 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1449529608412.jpg
86 KB, 1000x750
It's probably just because of my melancholic personality, but /lit/ I crave perfection. I've read through classics, I've read through epics, but just nothing has seriously -grabbed- me when it comes to fiction- the closest is Tolkien but more often then not I always end up reading the struggles and epics of real human beings because they are actually three dimensional beings, or were at once.

But is there somebody out there, anybody at all, who writes with the purple prose of lovecraft/lovecraftian work, has the world building of Tolkien, and the very real, human feeling characters of Shakespeare? To me this would be the definition of perfection literature, and I am desperate to know if it exists in anybody's opinion.

And before anybody says GRRM, no. The man's prose is more dry than bloody Tolkien. I'm looking for something that reads like colour out of space and has the pain and tragedy of Macbeth.
>>
you wouldn't know perfection if it jumped up and bit you in the dick
>>
sounds like you don't know how to appreciate literature
>>
>>7453313
How so? My search is for the perfect story. The problem is that I only ever find one that excels in one regard- either it has excellent characters, a fantastic world/plot, or it has glorious prose. There's never a combination of all three. There is never perfection. And it's driving me mad.
>>
>>7453323
You're so fucking gay dude I can't even believe it. Go back to reddit. Seriously
>>
>>7453326
How is wanting something perfect "gay" or "lmao reddit". Are you actually going to provide a legitimate response on exclusively shitpost in ad hominem attacks on character that have zero relevance? If you aren't going to add anything relevant to the topic, there is no function in your continued posting in this thread.
>>
>>7453332
*provide a legitimate response or.
>>
>>7453332
Have you ever considered the possibility that you aren't fully grasping the masterpieces that you do have? That you haven't yet sucked out 100% of their entertainment value?

I told you to go back to reddit because it seems like you look at literature like bullet points on the back of a video game box (fits your childish space marine pic too, btw). It's gotta have THIS, and THIS, and THIS, and THIS, and just be LOADED UP with lots of cool features, minigames, bells and whistles, until there's finally.... enough. That may be how autism works (how many guns do you have in CS:GO??) but it's not how literature works.
>>
>>7453347
#rekt

My thoughts exactly. Could be an elaborate bait post: the shitty writing style and Space Marine confirms autism (and I'm painting some right now).
>>
>>7453332
>misusing 'ad hominem'

we have an intellectual here boys
>>
>>7453347
It's what I crave in a work. The problem is that whenever I read fiction I simply see flaws in it, or see a greater, unrealized thing it could have been with simply -more-. I'm never happy with what fiction I read, I always crave something bigger and greater, and the combination of all the individual works I enjoy slightly is the only way I can even conceptualize what may finally sate my salivating desire. Because otherwise I feel like I may just give up on fiction all-together, because it never actually quenches my thirst like the real struggles of human beings (one of my favorite examples being the tragedy of Henry II with his rise and painful downfall that pulls on the heartstrings). Either a book's prose is too plain so I am unable to form an emotional connection to the characters on account of the text overall feeling flattish, I am incapable of giving a flying shit about the characters because they're utterly two dimensional, or I lose interest because the world feels very small and undeveloped. I search for rapture in the form of text, but I have turned up nothing but disappointment as everything fails to move my soul.

And the Astartes is a dig at my character. It's an Emperor's Child, a legion that destroyed itself through melancholy and vain pursuit of perfection that only resulted in their destruction in becoming debased monsters slaved to pleasure.
>>
>>7453370
Calling a person gay certainly qualifies as an ad hominem. And, depending on one's opinions of reddit and how it is used on 4chan, would possibly fall under that as well.
>>
>>7453376
I don't think literature is for you.
>>
File: 1449135487651.png (453 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
1449135487651.png
453 KB, 800x534
>>7453347
Hey bro leave Warhammer alone it's got nothing to do with this!
>>
>>7453384
I enjoy literature- the issue is that I only forge a connection with non-fiction as I can actually feel emotional attachment to real people. Fiction simply feels... entirely fictional if that makes any sense. There's always a flaw inside it that prevents me from getting sucked into the book and enjoying it/getting completely immersed in the story and its meaning. It looks like a delicious feast, but upon biting into it the food turns to dust.
>>
>>7453376
Literature isn't your thing really, literature isn't a video game where you come in expecting to satisfy your idea of what it should be.
Also Fulgrim was a shit novel.
Tragedy and human elements can be found in hundreds of novels, it would take years to deplete just Russian literature or even good fantasy and science fiction.
>>
>>7453393
>Also fulgrim was a shit novel.

No argument from me there. The Black Library is only suitable reading material when you're recovering from surgery and high on morphine (it's very enjoyable in that state, but so is staring at walls).

>Literature isn't for you

But how does one force themselves to enjoy it by repetition? Because even if I just give up on fiction entirely, the desire to read the perfect story remains. Forever.
>>
>>7453405
I don't even read many novels for enjoyment, I read them because I see it as a part of my education.
Perfect novels don't exist.
When you read something read it for what it offers, not what you want it to offer.
>>
File: wiseblood.jpg (61 KB, 252x380) Image search: [Google]
wiseblood.jpg
61 KB, 252x380
>MFW lit gets baited this easily
>>
Literature is not really entertainment, what you're obviously looking for. Just look for very long fanstasy sagas other than LOTR to satisfy your autism.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.