[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>God wrote the Bible >the Bible reads like shit and is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10
File: littlewhitedicks.jpg (86 KB, 719x385) Image search: [Google]
littlewhitedicks.jpg
86 KB, 719x385
>God wrote the Bible
>the Bible reads like shit and is incredibly inconsistent

Is God a hack?
>>
Actually the Bible is a beautiful work of art.. but nice try.
>>
the inconsistency of the bible is a meme, and an untrue one at that
>>
>>7453308
it's actually pronounced "meme"
>>
>>7453308

But even you must admit God has some terrible prose
>>
>>7453297
nah, bible is like an autobiography with 20 different ghost writers
>>
>>7453297
You dense ass motherfuckers, The Holy Bible was not written by God, it is the voice of God but written by other authors
>>
>>7453297
He's pointing at us...
>>
>>7453419
This.

The bible wasn't written by God, nor did God stand behind the authors with one hand on their shoulder and telling them exactly how to write it word by word.
>>
>>7453419
I hope you're joking.
>>
File: 1446971600863.gif (323 KB, 192x256) Image search: [Google]
1446971600863.gif
323 KB, 192x256
>>7453297
>God wrote the Bible
>>
>>>/highschool/
>>
File: fedora.jpg (62 KB, 496x501) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
62 KB, 496x501
>>7453431

>The Bible isn't the word of God

Back to Reddit
>>
>>7453297
>>the Bible reads like shit and is incredibly inconsistent

die you pleb
>>
>>7453465

Which part of that is untrue? For sure it's the most important work of culture ever written but that doesn't make it not an inconsistent slog to actually read.
>>
For a bunch of wannabe philosophers, /lit/ sure is full of dumbasses.
>>
>>7453297
read the quran
the true word of god
>>
>>7453297
>reads like shit
>harrisonfordreddit.jpg
>>7453670
you should check out the Dark Tower series, seems like something more up your alley. Leave the big boy texts to the adults
>>7453718
/lit/erally the third Matrix movie of ancient texts
>>
The Bible is an attempt to convey God's inconceivable reality through biased, but inspired prophets during various cultures
>>
if dubs god wrote the bible
>>
>>7453459
The word of God mediated by men, you fool.
>>
>>7453670
>the most important work of culture ever written
Definitely not
>>
>>7453803

Name a more influential written work
>>
>>7453960
Ulysses, you pleb.
>>
>>7453971
Oh come on, go jump a Joycean dick
>>
>>7453990
Resorting to vulgar insults are we? Put this in your next prayer; a wish to alleviate the ignorance in which you wallow in. You maybe able to see, read and shitpost, but you are blind.
>>
>>7454002
Suck my farts, blind bitches bastard
>>
>>7453427
yet it's a holy book
good one
>>
>>7454008
Go read some literature, kiddo.
>>
>>7454014
It was a good, short debate
Thanks for admitting I won
>>
>>7454024
You'd call that a debate? I call MY victory a non nonchalant breeze drifting from a mere fraction of my intellect capable of knocking pathetic plebs like down into a metaphorical foetus positions of defeat.
>>
>>7453757

Why would he need mediation? Isn't he all powerful?
>>
>>7453297
What if god was one of us
Just a pleb like one of us
Writing novels on a bus
Trying to avoid wagekekery
>>
not /lit/'s best showing
>>
File: NewtonsPrincipia.jpg (253 KB, 1266x842) Image search: [Google]
NewtonsPrincipia.jpg
253 KB, 1266x842
>>7453960
>>
>>7454065

I gave your mum a good showing last night though
>>
>>7453297
i think most Christians believe the bible was divinely inspired with many different authors, not the direct and immutable word of God.

this is probably the biggest difference between christians and muslims
>>
>>7454130
>this is probably the biggest difference between christians and muslims
It might be one difference, but maybe it has to be said explicitly here that the view of Jesus is, at the heart, the main difference between the two faiths. Christianity teaches that Jesus is true God who also became true man, sinless and perfect. For Islam, Jesus is a prophet, the greatest even (before Muhammad), but to attribute the divine to him is blasphemy.
>>
>>7454073
I don't know if you're joking or if you're legitimately retarded enough to think that's as influential as the Bible.
>>
>>7453305
>beautiful
>inconsistent
It's both,
"How do I logic?"
>>
>>7453297
>be me
>don't remember never not being me
>me created me
me(c)me
>>
File: d_200511_coulditbeautism_lg.jpg (16 KB, 200x302) Image search: [Google]
d_200511_coulditbeautism_lg.jpg
16 KB, 200x302
>>7453419
>>7453428
>>7453431
>>7453465
>>
>>7453728
"'literally' that's an emphasis word..."
>>
>>7453960
>Influential
>shit tier
It can be both
It's both
>>
God mad man twice:
Genesis 1:

26And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Then:
Genesis 2:

1Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

2And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

3And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

5And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

So if that is the literal truth, God made Man, then he made everything, then on the 7th day, even though he was resting he made life.
Yeah, it's poetic, but as a manual for biology it's piss poor.
>>
>>7454050
Jesus fucking Christ
>>
James 1:13- Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

Genesis 22:1- And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.
>>
John 3:13- And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

2 Kings 2:11- And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
>>
2 Samuel 8:4- And David took from him a thousand chariots, and seven hundred horsemen, and twenty thousand footmen: and David houghed all the chariot horses, but reserved of them for an hundred chariots.

1 Chronicles 18:4- And David took from him a thousand chariots, and seven thousand horsemen, and twenty thousand footmen: David also houghed all the chariot horses, but reserved of them an hundred chariots.
>>
>>God wrote the Bible
I'm not a fan of it or a believer of its word myself, but you should at least understand that that's not actually the position of any sect of Christianity at all. It's claimed to be divinely inspired, not directly written by God.
>>
File: images.jpg (11 KB, 193x261) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11 KB, 193x261
Isaiah 40:28- Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? There is no searching of his understanding.

Exodus 31:17- It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed

I could do this all day. The Bible was probably some of the best thinking they had laying around, and probably some of the worst. It's important, sure, but it's also really sad that people look to it as a source of guidance.
Aside from the common sense of Christ's sermon on the mount it's mostly nonesense.
We advocate for the state to break the Commandment against killing all the time. But let some homo do his or her thing and 'it's against God'! So is working on Sunday, so is having milk and meat at the same meal.
The Thou Shalt Not Kill is the one that really gets me. The Bible doesn't give loopholes or exceptions. Whatever, this is exhausting, fuck off, all of you. I mean God bless you.
>>
>>7454373
Don't be trolled so easily and don't hide behind semantics to detract.
OP was being lazy by saying "Bible=written by God". It wasn't. But that doesn't mean that millions of people say it is the Divine Truth as revealed by God, or some variation.
OP's point is, if it is divine wisdom why is it such a shit-show?
>>
>>7454326
>God mad man twice
Knock it off already, not even the most literalist fundamentalists believe that Gen 2 is a continuation of the creation account from Gen 1.
>>
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 531x471) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 531x471
>>7454401
>tfw I live in the south
>tfw everyone actually wants Holocaust 2: Everyone But Me and My Cousins Edition
>mfw watching pastors get worked up about godless liberals getting riding the death penalty
This whole place is fucked. When I was younger it was all natural beauty and freedom but it feels less and less free as I get older.
>>
>>7454493
Oh and Israel is serious about paying pastors here to shill for them. It's really blatant and a pastor I know told me it's a big thing.
>>
>>7454424
its the infallible word of GOD

...or Gen1 was just a teaser trailer?
"IN A WORLD....that doesn't exist...(yet)...ONE MAN...well he's not a man, but...you knowm he has hands and feet and hair...which is pretty useless in The Void...but will come in quite handy (pun inevitable ) when He makes....PEOPLE"
COMING THIS SUMMER!
>>
>>7454523

And Jesus was born, died, rose again, and ascended four times.
>>
>tfw God has a mediocre prose
>tfw he's just like me
>>
>>7453297
>Is God a hack?
God is not bound human logic
>>
>>7453297
>incredibly inconsistent
What do you mean by that?
>>
File: 1428325810155.jpg (27 KB, 423x429) Image search: [Google]
1428325810155.jpg
27 KB, 423x429
>>7454346

Yes my child. How can we help?
>>
>>7454759

Nor are his followers bound by grammar.
>>
>>7454283
>It is unlawful to hold that any false assertion is contained either in the Gospel or in any canonical Scripture, or that the writers thereof have told untruths, because faith would be deprived of its certitude which is based on the authority of Holy Writ. That the words of certain people are variously reported in the Gospel and other sacred writings does not constitute a lie. Hence Augustine says (De Consens. Evang. ii): "He that has the wit to understand that in order to know the truth it is necessary to get at the sense, will conclude that he must not be the least troubled, no matter by what words that sense is expressed." Hence it is evident, as he adds (De Consens. Evang. ii), that "we must not judge that someone is lying, if several persons fail to describe in the same way and in the same words a thing which they remember to have seen or heard."

-Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
>>
>>7454936
Haha do people really take this guy seriously?
>>
>>7454949
It gets worse... >>>/his/393181
>>
>>7455002
>2015
>Catholicism
Too bad those guys are too spooked to an hero.
>>
>>7454401
>not even having old covenant/ new covenant knowledge
Stop posting any time.
>>
>>7453297
>this question
I lold
>>
File: 1444248818246.gif (952 KB, 320x214) Image search: [Google]
1444248818246.gif
952 KB, 320x214
>>7455002
How could the doctor of the Church possibly be that stupid?
>>
Heavens, no! God is perfect by definition.
>>
>>7454289
i hate that that cover implies that the kid might have autism but it's clearly a normal well adjusted kid doing kid shit

why dont they have a picture of a 6 year old who kept all his baby fat and is playing with windex?
>>
>>7455768
Because, despite being sophomoric, fedoras are basically right about monotheism.

>>7455668
Completely irrelevant to his point, but have a cookie.
>>
>>7455815
That's what I hate most about fedoras. I can't really argue with them because when it comes right down to it, I'm on their side.
>>
>>7455838
>>7455815
Why call them insult if you agree with them?
>>
His main piece of hackery was creation, but the bible is awesome. God is a much better writer than he is as a god.
>>
>>7456052
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vBpcSEdcRc
>>
>>7455668
No, i get it, Jesus fixed all that shit, with the adultress and the stones.
Problem is pleb tier Christians still drag out OT bullshit whenever it suits their current politics without obeying the Decalogue (either one of 'em). Feel free to sit on many dicks, anytime.
>>
File: kitchen.gif (10 KB, 322x428) Image search: [Google]
kitchen.gif
10 KB, 322x428
>>7456058

Reminded me of this le gem.
Still, free will belongs in the discussion.
>>
>>7456073
Forced memes from /pol/ are nothing to encourage
>>
>>7453297
>the Bible reads like shit

You know Hebrew? Man, that's awesome
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.