[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any young adult books that aren't shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11
File: YA+BOOKS+FOR+ADULTS[1].jpg (456 KB, 798x479) Image search: [Google]
YA+BOOKS+FOR+ADULTS[1].jpg
456 KB, 798x479
Are there any young adult books that aren't shit?
>>
portrait of the artist as a young adult by jim joys
>>
>>7453271
>implying that's a YA novel
>>
>>7453296
It's a book young adults should read.. IMO.
>>
His Dark Materials is supposed to be good, actually
>>
File: TheNeverendingStory1997Edition.jpg (54 KB, 315x475) Image search: [Google]
TheNeverendingStory1997Edition.jpg
54 KB, 315x475
This. Loved it as a kid. Reread it recently, and it held up pretty well.
>>
>>7453269
Thought Speak was at least a little higher tier.
>>
>>7453269
Catcher in the rye.
>>
There's no such thing.
>>
File: pierre-dbc-vernon-god-little.jpg (203 KB, 1010x1570) Image search: [Google]
pierre-dbc-vernon-god-little.jpg
203 KB, 1010x1570
>>7453269
The curious case of the dog in the night wasn't bad imo, simple, but not is crummy as the others, Narnia is alright as well.

>Pic related was good too.
>>
The Outsiders
>>
>>7453269
Pollyanna
>>
>>7453269
Yes, but there aren't any good ones that get circlejerked by 14 year old girls on tumblr.
>>
How is The Fault in Our Stars?
I've been watching John Green's crash course vids, and I keep wondering if he's actually a decent writer.
>>
>>7453316
Second this. Read them when I was 13, one of the more advanced/complicated book in the YA category

>>7453655
That's litterally twilight and the fault in our stars though.
>>
>>7453677
Well books I mean ofc, golden compass wasn't that good but the other 2 are great IMO
>>
>>7453269
mate this is young adults. Its like "how to get into reading".

Its like a gateway drug to other literature
>>
>>7453316
Yep. The first book is the weakest but still pretty good. Get's super anti-religious and dark in the later books. I'm glad movie bombed, that way it didn't become a stunted mongoloid like Hunger Games
>>
>>7453675
no
>>
>>7453573
Agreed
It's not an amazing book but it certainly isn't bad
>>
If you like fantasy, anything by Diana Wynne Jones.
>>
>>7453269
Workin' on it senpai. Ask again in five years.
>>
a wrinkle in time
>>
File: kek.jpg (134 KB, 436x562) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
134 KB, 436x562
>mfw kiddos discount the only worthwhile YA series cause its "racist"
>>
I enjoyed Ready Player One desu
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 553x6347) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 553x6347
>>7455878
#notallvermin
>>
Redwall, Narnia, Artemis Fowl, House of the Scorpion, Ender's Game, The Hobbit. Those were my favorites as a kid.
>>
does lord of the flies count?
>>
Robinson Crusoe

Journey to the Centre of the Earth

Gulliver's Travels
>>
>>7456292
Forgot: The Red Badge of Courage

that book was the first one that really clicked with me
>>
>>7456286
Idk, I think most people see YA as lightweight plot driven stories for younger kids. I think Lord of the Flies is best left till you are like 17 or 18, it is very pessimistic.
>>
>>7456305

obligatory: http://imgur.com/a/6lnAK
>>
>>7453269
Anne of Green Gables
Starship Troopers
Dune
Matthew Reilly's work
Andy Griffith's work (more kids than YA but I loved his stuff.)
>>
File: 1449946210679.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1449946210679.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
What is it about YA that makes it inherently bad? To date I cannot conjure a single YA book in my mind that has real literature value.
>>
>>7454872
This
>>
>>7456511
Probably because it's made for children, IE people who have not yet developed critical faculties
>>
I liked speak and true diary when i was a young lass. Especially speak, there's some real shit in there.
>>
>>7453269
The Story of O.
>>
>>7453817
Yeah but how so?
>>
>>7456236
This was amazing
>>
Uhh catcher in the rye, l'etranger, enders game, waiting for godot, all shakespear, uhh ....

Huck Finn of course...

The metamorphosis
>>
Hitchhikers Guide is alright, formative on my sense of humor
>>
As an English teacher I've found literary merit in teaching The Book Thief and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.

Would I consider them to be great pieces of literature? Not really. Do they have themes that allow students to take a critical look at some aspect of life or human existence? Yes, much more so than most YA I've encountered.
>>
>>7456511

half the point of it is that it isnt 'literature'

>>7456969

these arent YA; they're books that teenagers could and probably should read though

>>7457655

book thief is ok for stuff that fits into YA, the kite runner is ok too
>>
>>7456969
those aren't YA.
>godot
hahaha
>>
>>7456511
It's a definitional thing. Books with literary value that are appropriate for children and teenagers aren't considered "YA fiction;" Like >>7457661
says, they're just

>books that teenagers could and probably should read

It's similar to how the sci fi and fantasy ghetto is reinforced because speculative fiction with literary value usually isn't defined as part of the genre.
>>
In the end, if more kids are reading anything and enjoying it, I think that's a good thing. I see YA as a kind of stepping stone. Some kids just aren't mature enough to be invested in a literary work yet, but are intrigued by what goes on in YA.
>>
>>7453269
Tolstoy. Shakespeare. Kipling. Camus.
>>
>>7456236
Brian Jacques' stories and writing were practically the books that got me into reading when i was kid. They hold a special place for me.

But that picture is fucking hysterical.
>>
>>7457697

The problem is, a lot of people rarely venture out from YA, and if they do it's to mystery thrillers like Grisham/Brad Thor and stuff. My mom still reads YA, ffs.

So, for some it is a stepping stone, but not for a lot of people. As for WHY, I have no idea
>>
>>7453269
Modern:
Skulduggery Pleasant series
Sabriel series
Un Lun Dun
Harry Potter series (inb4 endless shrieking about JK Rowling etc)
>>
>>7453269
Watership Down
Ender's Game
The Princess Bride
Redwall
Highschool summer reading list /lit/ (Brave New World, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Things they Carried etc)
The Indian in the Cupboard and its sequels
Hatchet
Dinotopia and its sequels
The Chronicles of Prydain
>>
>>7457800
Watch a TV show or the news or whatever.

Its made for the lowest common denominator. Adults that read YA are that audience. Not everyone reads as a hobby or for stimulation, and far fewer read for allegory or prose, they read for entertainment.
>>
You should try the Maze Runner series. They're the first books i've ever read willingly. I just finished the Scorch Trials in two days, just couln't put it down. It might be called pleb-tier here, never seen /lit/'s reaction, but I am loving it so far. Planing on reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Catcher in the Rye and This Side of Paradise afterwards
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (41 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
41 KB, 480x360
>>7457846
>>
File: 1448198259026.jpg (94 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1448198259026.jpg
94 KB, 640x640
>>7457846
Even the Hunger Games would be better than that shit. The "bland young people surviving deadly trials in dystopian future" genre is extremely oversaturated.
>>
File: mad baby.gif (2 MB, 201x145) Image search: [Google]
mad baby.gif
2 MB, 201x145
>mfw I love good YA books

Great authors:
Bruce Coville
Gerald Morris
Tamora Pierce
Patricia Wrede

>>7457839
Most of these.
>>
>>7457839

To be YA, doesn't it have to be about young adults? At least a few of those are more "books young people should read."
>>
>>7457881
>To be YA, doesn't it have to be about young adults?
No.
>>
Is Ender's Game worth reading?
>>
>>7457905
Yeah. I heard the second one has pig trees in it tho'.
>>
>>7457784
Me too senpai. I may reread Mossflower or Pearls of Lutra over the holidays for comfy feelings.
>>
>>7453269
How the hell is The Golden Compass/His Dark Materials shit?
>>
>>7457905
I read it and fell in love with it. In 6th grade.

As an adult it probably wont change your world, as an 11 year old loner with good grades it is fairly profound.
>>
>>7453269
Anything by Joyce or Pynchon

>>7457681
>Shakespeare and Huck Finn
>not YA

>>7457905
Yes, but ignore the other entries in the series.
>>
File: GrasshopperJungle June 27 13.jpg (22 KB, 311x448) Image search: [Google]
GrasshopperJungle June 27 13.jpg
22 KB, 311x448
>>7453269
>>
>>7453271
>jim joys
:DDDD
>>
>>7456292
>Robinson Crusoe
>Gulliver's Travels
Then let them go to university and learn that their childhood stories were political satires and religion apologies
>>
>>7457935
>As an adult it probably wont change your world, as an 11 year old loner with good grades it is fairly profound.

This. It changed my life in a deep way at age 13. If I read it now I'd be like "lol meh" because I'm desensitized to the world or something.

>>7458115
>Yes, but ignore the other entries in the series.

> not liking Speaker for the Dead.

The other two were only okay but Speaker for the Dead is almost as good as Ender's Game itself if you ask me.
>>
>>7453269
Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. What THG was trying and failed to be.
>>
>>7453269

I read the Giver in school, and it was one of the only decent things the entire time. The outsiders was good, also in school.
>>
The only YA novel I've read and enjoyed (and I had a Young Adult Lit class at my University) was Feed, by M.T. Anderson. The book was released in 2002, which was before the YA craze reached critical mass.

I'd actually recommend it. It's a sci-fi satire of American values, and it gets super feelsy near the end. It's a pretty short read, and totally worth it.
>>
>>7453421
Seconded. I read this a couple of years ago and was really surprised how good it was.
>>
Thief of Always and Something Wicked This Way Comes are pretty good, I like rereading them around Halloween.
>>
>>7453675
It's decent
>>
>>7453269
when i was a kid i read harry potter incessantly. Probably the entire series about 4 times. I don't know if it still holds up but as a kid is was really compelling thats gotta be worth something
>>
>>7458737
battle royale book was pure trash, every other form of media based on it was better (manga/film). just terribly written, repetitive and insuffrable mc despite having a setting that had so much more potential. The same story setting could have been much more amazing in the hand of a competent writer
>>
Reading the Lunar Chronicles, because why the fuck not. I've read worse prose, but the fucking plot is so predictable. How ashamed should I be?
>>
>>7453675
i liked it. the kids are too smart but you can say the same thing about john hughes films
>>
>>7458130
I thought I was the only one who read this.
>>
File: BookofThree1stEdition.jpg (54 KB, 263x387) Image search: [Google]
BookofThree1stEdition.jpg
54 KB, 263x387
>>
If we aren't restricting our selves to modern books, almost all of Heinlein's juveniles are worth reading.
>>
>>7453269
I read the curious incident of the dog in the night-time when I was 9 and I thought it was fire. I then tried reading it again about two months ago and the first three pages made me fucking gag.
Same with the book thief.
They're just childrens' books, anon, can't even qualify as young adult, and they're all awful.
>>
>>7453675
Its fun. If you like his vlogbrothers videos, you'll probably like his books. The Fault in our Stars and Looking for Alaska are his best.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.