[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm writing an essay based on the following Mark Twain quote:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: MTE5NDg0MDU1MTUzNTA5OTAz.jpg (165 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NDg0MDU1MTUzNTA5OTAz.jpg
165 KB, 1200x1200
I'm writing an essay based on the following Mark Twain quote:

"There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages."

I need a bit of original research, so I'm asking 4chan: what is originality to you, particularly in terms of ideas, but also in general.
>>
Did you try the homework board first before begging /lit/?
>>
sounds a tad hegelian lol
>>
I would argue that Twain's distinction between a 'new idea' and a synthesis of 'a lot of the old ideas' is disingenuous-- that is precisely what a new idea *is*, and there is no merit to disregarding the concept of a "new idea" when you've got a perfect working definition already.

i.e twain refutes himself
>>
>>7451619
>thinking that Twain was the first person to think of this

- Read Ecclesiastes.
- And then watch Kirby Ferguson.
- And then read the oeuvre of BrainPickings.
- Consider the many philosophical movements, both ancient and pop-contemporary, which deal in some way with the artistic process and purpose, and ask yourself why the fuck Twain of all people would be the best/only entrypoint into the schools of thought surrounding combinatorial creativity.
- Post results in essay format, and you're guaranteed at least an A-.
>>
I don't see that there is a homework board, unless you're being sarcastic. So far, nobody has answered my question. Maybe I need a better question.
>>
Eh, Twain was the first who came up on Google. The essay's mostly written, and due tonight. I might look into those things later, though.
>>
Just copy someone else's essay on the same subject. The teacher will see the irony and give you an a+.
>>
>>7451770
Masures, désormais on ne peut inventer
Nul argument nouveau qui soit bon à chanter,
Ou haut sur la trompette, ou bas dessus la lyre :
Aux anciens la Muse a tout permis de dire,
Tellement qu'il ne reste à nous autres derniers
Sinon le désespoir d'ensuivre les premiers
>>
To be fair, this is the second essay I've written on the topic, and the teacher's on board with that. I just need a bit of original research to meet the grading criteria.
>>
He's right. Only God can create something from nothing. All we do is synthesize things that have already been made. "Creativity" is a meme from the Romantic era turned into a buzzword for merchants . . . I mean "entrepreneurs".
>>
>>7451781
or this, except to keep in the actual spirit of the quote steal two essays on the same subject and merge their text at random
>>
File: 1234567.jpg (13 KB, 367x202) Image search: [Google]
1234567.jpg
13 KB, 367x202
A general PSA to OP and his reddit ilk: Remember to quote previous posts so we know who you're responding to. Thanks xdXD
>>
>>7451805
Not a Redditor, but thanks for the PSA.
>>
>>7451619
bump
>>
File: 1437118610400.png (62 KB, 409x431) Image search: [Google]
1437118610400.png
62 KB, 409x431
>>7451619
Everything is a remix.
>copyrights his mixtape
>>
It has been submitted. Thanks, guys.
>>
>>7451784
d'où avez-vous réçu ceci?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.