[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of Chesterton?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Gilbert_Chesterton[1].jpg (155 KB, 582x718) Image search: [Google]
Gilbert_Chesterton[1].jpg
155 KB, 582x718
What does /lit/ think of Chesterton?
>>
>>7451597
dumb af
>>
>>7451597
My mother like Father Brown. He's like a shittier version of Agatha Christie, 2bh
>>
>>7451597

I liked The Man Who was Sunday although I don't really understand what it was supposed to be about.
>>
Nietzsche had some natural talent for sarcasm: he could sneer, though he could not laugh; but there is always something bodiless and without weight in his satire, simply because it has not any mass of common morality behind it. He is himself more preposterous than anything he denounces. But, indeed, Nietzsche will stand very well as the type of the whole of this failure of abstract violence. The softening of the brain which ultimately overtook him was not a physical accident. If Nietzsche had not ended in imbecility, Nietzscheism would end in imbecility. Thinking in isolation and with pride ends in being an idiot. Every man who will not have softening of the heart must at last have softening of the brain.

L M A O
M
A
O
>>
>>7451615
>fatbongs
>>
File: Chersterton.png (764 KB, 577x691) Image search: [Google]
Chersterton.png
764 KB, 577x691
>being this plebian
>>
A man who knew what was going on.
>>
>>7451597
The man is what he looks like. A fat retarded protestant.
>>
Anyone willing to at least elaborate an answer?
>>
>>7451597
I like him.
>>
>>7451609

Well, it was a nightmare.
>>
>>7451597
One of the greats.
>>
>>7451658
>>7451676
Thanks anons. Looks like this is an author who gets strong opinions from people. I'm going to have to do some reading of his work.
>>
>>7451609
It was great.

I took it that, at heart, often no man is as good as he pretends to be.
But being a religious type I felt he was pointing to some sort of Sunday as God's resting day being commentary - as Sunday is the only day worth what it says it is.

Idk, its 3 am here
>>
>>7451676
>>7451603
He was a Catholic convert, and was given the title of Fidei Defensor by Pope Pius XI.

Why are you namefagging/samefagging?

OP, read Orthodoxy, and The Everlasting Man. Whenever he puts pen to paper it's always going to be good.
>>
>>7451676
he's literally a Catholic
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.