[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Short Story Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: shortstory.png (67 KB, 646x337) Image search: [Google]
shortstory.png
67 KB, 646x337
Hey /lit/, can we talk about short stories?

What are some of your favorites? Who are your favorite short story authors? Why do you like them? Why do you dislike them? et cetera...
>>
The Portrait by Gogol
Dream of a Ridiculous Man by Dostoevsky
(still reading borges but probably the immortal)
The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether by Poe
Waldo or and he built a crooked house by heinlein.
there were a few in vonnegut's welcome to the monkey house but it's been so long i can't remember.
>>
For sale: baby shoes, never worn by [disputed]
>>
I remember being down in the rec room in Angela Mead’s basement on the couch and having her let me get my hand up her blouse and not even really feeling the soft aliveness or whatever of her breast because all I was doing was thinking, ‘Now I’m the guy that Mead let get to second with her.’ Later that seemed so sad. This was in middle school. She was a very big-hearted, quiet, self-contained, thoughtful girl—she’s a veterinarian now, with her own practice—and I never even really saw her, I couldn’t see anything except who I might be in her eyes, this cheerleader and probably number two or three among the most desirable girls in middle school that year. She was much more than that, she was beyond all that adolescent ranking and popularity crap, but I never really let her be or saw her as more, although I put up a very good front as somebody who could have deep conversations and really wanted to know and understand who she was inside
>>
>>7451435

Borges.
I like what I've read of George Saunders.
Krzhizhanovsky is very good.
>>
File: dostoevsky.jpg (67 KB, 291x361) Image search: [Google]
dostoevsky.jpg
67 KB, 291x361
>>7451458
Were you the same anon who recommended me Gogol just yesterday?

Anyhow:

>Dream of Ridiculous Man
>White Nights
>Animal Farm
>Anthem
>The Great Gatsby (inb4 pleb)

I really love Dostoevksy's short stories, more so than his (admittedly fantastic) full-length novels. His prose and the way he manages to capture the nuances of humanity is unmatched by any other author. He also delves into politics and honestly is the epitome of genuineness, in my opinion.

As for who I dislike - no one really? The only author I dislike with a fiery passion is Dumas, and I wouldn't read any more of his dribble after The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers. He is talented, not in writing, but in making potentially riveting plots (Monte Cristo, for example) and making them the most boring thing to ever read. If I recall correctly, his publishers paid by the length of his books, so naturally, he wrote more. Fucked up hard there.
>>
>>7451540
i was indeed!
>>
>>7451551
Thank you for your recommendation again. I glanced at The Overcoat, and after reading the first few paragraphs, I'll give Gogol another chance. He actually sounds a little more like Ilf and Petrov than Dostoevksy, but 12 Chairs is objectively GOAT so I think I'll thoroughly enjoy him!
>>
>>7451601
yeah, i was very disappointed in dead souls, honestly, it just didnt hit the same absurdist and fantastical tone that some of his short stories hit. i don't know why it's considered his greatest work when his short stories are so much more important.
>>
I took a chance on this recently, a collection of Stacy Aumonier short stories that I found it in a 2nd hand bookshop for cheap. I had never heard of him before and now I don't know why, he's brilliant.
Apparently he didn't do much else but write short stories.
>>
>>7451783
Never heard of him but the spine says wwi and the 20s, which would be an interesting period for short stories. What does he write about / whats his style like?
>>
>>7451489
Moar
>>
>>7451601
>The Overcoat
I loved this.
>>
Sonny's Blues
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.