[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Psychoanalysis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: le_cigare_de_lacan.gif (50 KB, 400x264) Image search: [Google]
le_cigare_de_lacan.gif
50 KB, 400x264
Looking to read up on Freud, Lacan, and psychoanalytic theory generally.

Please recommend me texts for essential understanding. Reading order suggestions also welcome.

Understand that my knowledge is at the level of watching a few Zizek meme videos and the Pervert's Guide films.
>>
>>7449115
Start with Anti-oedipus
>>
>>7449120
Is this a mock suggestion, or for real?

Definitely have it in mind to read Deluze and Guattari
>>
>>7449115

Just popping in to say that Wittgenstein's book on Aesthetics, Psychology and Religion (not necessarily in that order, can't remember) has a fascinating discussion of Freud and psychoanalysis.

A lot of translations of Lacan are really shitty so my advice would be to pick up as much secondary literature as possible from the library and find a writer that explains it half decently. There's a book called 'Lacanian Dictionary' or 'Dictionary for Lacanian Theory' or something like that which is really lucid and easy to get into.

Freud is usually not too difficult. Interpretation of Dreams is probably the most essential work, although 'Beyond the Pleasure Principle' is also up there.

Zizek is insubstantial garbage as far as I can tell.
>>
>>7449125
This one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectures_and_Conversations_on_Aesthetics,_Psychology,_and_Religious_Belief

Thanks.
>>
File: Deleuze7.jpg (13 KB, 200x304) Image search: [Google]
Deleuze7.jpg
13 KB, 200x304
>>7449122
I am of course only half serious... To start with Anti-oedipus with no experience in psychoanalysis would yield interesting results. Do a little bit of groundwork on psychoanalysis ala Freud and Lacan as Jung isn't talked about. Melanie Klein comes up but she isn't essential. After reading D&G I guarantee you will not see psychoanalysis the same. And the way they write is much more enjoyable than any of Lacan's writings or seminars.
>>
>>7449132
This sounds fun, I might try this.

What is the bare minimum of groundwork I should do? Specific texts?
>>
>>7449132
>>7449134
Basically I'm wondering if reading Interpretation of Dreams would be too much or too little groundwork for Freud

As for Lacan I have no idea where to start
>>
>>7449129

That's it. It's what influenced my perspective on psychoanalysis the most.

By the way, some of Althusser's work is interesting although it veers into batshit crazy territory (psychonalytic Marxist structuralism).

Also, for background, it would probably be helpful to read Schopenhauer and Nietzsche as they pre-empted much of Freud's framework.
>>
>>7449136
>read Schopenhauer and Nietzsche
Got it covered
>>
>>7449135

With Lacan start with the Seminars, is my opinion. Either that or secondary literature as I recommended above: >>7449125 Ecrits is overall much more difficult than either of those other pathways.

If you want to dive into just one essay from Ecrits, 'The Function and Field of Speech and Language in Psychoanalysis' is pretty good.
>>
>>7449141
Thanks man, you've been a big help.
>>
>>7449144

No problem. As a bonus, here's Lacan trolling Chomsky and Quine at MIT: https://linguisticcapital.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/i-think-with-my-feet/
>>
>>7449148
The only proper response of Chomsky would've been to commit sudoku, this man's a pussy.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.