[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey there pleb. Yeah, you. What books are you reading? They better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8
File: 2190347142.jpg (12 KB, 250x297) Image search: [Google]
2190347142.jpg
12 KB, 250x297
Hey there pleb. Yeah, you. What books are you reading? They better be patrician.
>>
>>7447824
Bloom looks so much like Sartre here.
>>
>>7447824
Ultrapatrician, transcendent even: The Recognitions and The Lime Twig.
>>
why is steve buscemi asking me what i'm reading? (borges)
>>
Why, James Joyce sure got fat, hairy and Jewish!
>>
I'm reading Anna Karenina, am I pleb?
>>
That's one of my favorite BolaƱo quotes OP
>>
man this guy was great in that one Coen brothers movie
>>
Man, Cervantes just isn't photogenic.
>>
>>7447844
>>7447849
>>7447853
>>7447864
>>7447866
plebs
>>
>>7447824
They look lovely here, the Bronte sisters.
>>
>>7447837
Not bad, not bad.

>>7447844
Favorite Borges story?

>>7447850
yes
>>
Borges, The Holy Bible, and Either/Or Volume I
>>
Paradife Loft
>>
>>7447896
Oh, and the Tao Te Ching
>>
>>7447896
I can't make a fair enough assessment based on these. What were you reading before this? What do you plan on reading after?

>>7447904
Undergrad-core. I bet you're only reading this because your professor assigned it, pleb.
>>
>>7447824
Go to bed Tao!!!!
>>
>>7447890
so far, i've only read his ficciones, but tlon, uqbar, orbis tertius is fucking mind blowing. it really opened my eyes to how far the short story could develop, and up until then my favorite short story writer had been poe, really. also, i liked the library of babel, but i like the site more: https://libraryofbabel.info/ interesting stuff.
>>
Nothing right now, just finished Ficciones, planning to read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
>>
bell jar, for the first time
>>
>>7447824
Confessions of a mask
>>
>>7447824
>patrician
Uh, like I'd affiliate with a bunch of decadent bourgeoisie
>>
>>7447916
Immediately before, I was reading the 1835 text of Democracy in America and then The Republic.

After, I plan on reading Mason & Dixon and some of Kant's political writings.

Does this please you, Bloom senpai?
>>
>>7447920
Nice, nice. You should read "The Aleph" next. Another great story of his.

>>7447927
>planning to read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

All that hard reading for nothing.

>>7447928
I read your post and got a horrible stomachache. I don't know if the two acts were related, but I do know that you're a pleb.

>>7447931
Cool, cool. No judgment here.

>>7447936
You wouldn't make the cut anyway.

>>7447942
Hmmm, a lot of nonfiction. Hard to judge your patrician status when it's nearly devoid of high-quality fiction. Make sure to balance out your reading. Mason & Dixon is brilliant though, and I highly recommend it.
>>
>>7447957
>All that hard reading for nothing.
Borges isn't really "hard reading", although he's certainly not standard. Plus, it's always good to read something lighter now and then, and I'm sure you're aware that Bloom liked Alice in Wonderland.
>>
>Caiaphas Cain
>Ego and his Own
>The Art of War
>A New History of the United States 2nd ed.

I can't finish any of these.
>>
>>7447972
It sounds like all you do is "light reading."
>>
>>7447957
yeah, after i read a few more, V. should have finally arrived, and i can get started on the pinecone.
>>
>>7447976
And you gather this from a total of two books, including one I haven't even read yet?
>>
>>7447984
Just trying to save you from regressing back to an infantile literary state. What else have you read recently, or is Borges the only thing you've ever read?
>>
Absalom, Absalom! and Lyrical Ballads, just finished Wise Blood.
>>
>>7448001
Patrish.
>>
>>7447996
You wouldn't happen to be a solipsist, would you?
>>
>>7448036
Of course not. You're definitely a pleb though. I gave you a chance to redeem yourself and you faltered. Enjoy Alice in Wonderland. :)
>>
>>7447824
Hume's Enquiry, then Berekeley's 3 Dialogues, then schopenhauer's world as will, and then probably delilo's white noise, followed by (probably) the sun also rises but just maybe tess of the dubervilles. what do you recommend, guys?
>>
>>7448108
i recommend you get a job and drop out of your philosophy major
>>
>>7448119
my full scholarship means a free degree. i enjoy doing it, why tf wouldnt i?
>>
Harry Potter
>>
I just finished the first volume (out of 4) of the Complete Sherlock Holmes. Parallel to it I'm reading the Iliad and This Side of Paradise.

(Well, not couting Word & Object by Quine, Speech Acts by Searle, How to do things with words by Austin and the three papers on Critical Theory I read in the afternoon).
>>
>>7448130
because a philosophy degree will be quite literally useless

but whatever nigga, your life, not mine. but you have a full scholarship which is impossible these days unless you're poor as fuck. so just dont ever apply for welfare faggot, cause then i'll be paying for your ass
>>
File: poor.jpg (108 KB, 1181x897) Image search: [Google]
poor.jpg
108 KB, 1181x897
>>7448147
>obvious poorfag complaining about taxes
>mfw
>>
>>7447824
Right now I'm reading periodicals from a century ago

I'm attempting to find out the most common medicines of the time and how they were distributes pre-big pharma.

I'm attempting to build a sensible database of how to properly use medicinal herbs, based in their scientific properties. As in not hokey "drink your own piss and eat kale to cure cancer" shit.
>>
The Accursed Share, Thirst for Annihilation, some Borges, Phenomenology of Spirit, Brothers Karamazov, Ulysses.
>>
File: black-dahlia.jpg (45 KB, 381x586) Image search: [Google]
black-dahlia.jpg
45 KB, 381x586
fite me fags
>>
>>7448166
Oh man I love evangelion
>>
>>7448153
can't tell if this is the guy i was replying to, but if thats the case, you're obviously a poorfag as well, at least I own it nigga. aint nothing wrong with being working class

if this is some random rich kid, fuck off back to your daddy's tit
>>
File: 15771083.jpg (69 KB, 310x475) Image search: [Google]
15771083.jpg
69 KB, 310x475
>>7447824
>>
File: godlmao.jpg (45 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
godlmao.jpg
45 KB, 512x384
>>7448184
>your daddy's tit
>implying you're and the rest of the plebs aren't literally the ones giving me money

im so sorry for you anon
>>
>>7448169
actually i just picked up because reminds me of EoE.
>>
>>7448196
so you're some kinda businessman then.... in which case i don't care for you because your life revolves around money and what it can buy

or you have a setup where you don't need to work but the money just keeps flowing in, in which case, good for you, you got lucky
>>
I'm reading Society of the Spectacle
In conjunction with a paper I'm writing on comic books by Grant Morrison
>>
>>7448108
have you read Kant's Critique?
>>
>>7448147
i want to be a prof. itll be tough, but ive started teaching already. im not overly worried--lots of scholarships n the rents have quite the inheritance left 4 me
>>
>>7448395
how'd you get a full "scholarship" with an inheritance? doesn't add up. all my friends who would've qualified for financial except for an inheritance, didn't get fa. don't BS me with the "merit scholarship" because none of them are full. Also, good luck becoming a professor. the job market is absolutely saturated. you'll be lucky to be an adjunct
>>
i'm fuckin chillin bro
>>
I'm reading Ulysses.

I'm really reading Treasure Island. Fuck the patrician life.
>>
haha OP is actually responding to every answer

Get some friends you fuckin loser
>>
File: 1443303834668.jpg (83 KB, 880x618) Image search: [Google]
1443303834668.jpg
83 KB, 880x618
>>7448642
Best in thread.
>>
just downloaded creative writing for dummies, 'bout 100 pages in
>>
File: IMG_0008.jpg (217 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0008.jpg
217 KB, 1600x1200
>>7447890
garden of forking paths blows my fucking head off my shoulders errtime i read that shit

i have a copy of Ficciones that's a photocopy of a photocopy and get a big kick out of thinking about Borges' theoretical reaction to that fact

I also like that one about the guy who informed on the IRA and the one about the endless library-labyrinth
>>
I want to take a good few weeks off from writing due to repetitive stress injuries on my hands. Shit sucks guys.

Anyway, I'm waiting for a Time of Contempt to come in the mail. Until that happens, I've got to abide with whatever is in my bookcase.

I've got Ray Bradbury's Machinery's of Joy Collection, The Poetry of Robert Frost, Euclid's Elements, Dream of Red Chamber, Sophocles (Paul Roche translation), Far From the Madding Crowd, Jude the Obscure, and Blake's Poetry and Designs.

Which should I read first? What should I add?
>>
Just finished Satantango
Reading wedgewoods Thirty Years War.
>>
>>7447977
a dream where i am being stalked by different gangs including a boy who makes accidents happen such as a huge amount of buses chase me through a neighborhood or falling airplane wheels. a group of shadowy boys on BMX bikes with glowing eyes, trying to knock me out

Morpheus shows me strange things
>>
>>7448908
dude, just the other night, i was in the middle east, and i was fighting arabs, and i went to a church ( a christian church in the middle of a middle eastern desert with a 7/11 and a schnucks on either side) and inside the church i had jasmine rice with a family of rich arabs who gave me a gun, after which i was taken hostage by the daughter and son, and the daughter demanded that she had a photo-op with me on her bicycle while wearing katy perry clothing. then i went back to my base after escaping, and had sex with a giant weasel. no joke.
>>
Swann's Way
>>
I'm reading Life Among Pirates: The Romance and The Reality. Already downloaded the General History of Pirates, gonna read that next.

Eating mini carrots and shitposting on /lit/. How Patrician am I?
>>
>>7449067
Either a very patrish 14yr old or a very pleb adult
>>
>>7449392
>not reading about pirates
Did you know that the dollar sign comes from the spanish reales?
>>
>>7448418
my school has the lowest tuition in the country. I won a 15k scholarship because, aside from getting Dean's list every term, I revived the school newspaper and have been working on a new theory in logic. I know the job market will be rough, but what else would I be doing? Money isn't an issue for me, so I do what I like.
>>
>>7448231
believe it or not, no I have not :^( I keep meaning to, but its not something I want to tackle solo and would rather wait to actually study it. I've read his Moral philosophy, and a bit of his philosophy regarding the synthetic a priori nature of mathematics, but besides that I've yet to touch his greater works.
>>
>>7448418
not every1 on this board is too retarded/socially under-developed to make something of themselves (but certainly you are)
>>
>>7447974
why not read something fun you pseud
>>
>>7448642
i remember this masterpeice t b h F A M
>>
The Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar
>>
>>7447824
I just finished TBK. Should i read LoTR or Moby Dick next?
>>
>>7448671
Just trying to better people.
>>
>>7447824
The Book of Disquiet.
>>
crippled america
>>
>>7447824

reread of the odyssey, I do this once every year
Have never stopped learning from it

The axe and the throne

Starting Pride and Prejudice
>>
Essays On Heidegger and Others by Rorty
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.