[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brothers Karamazov
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
I spared the Eplilogue of this for the night of my 23th Birthday (which is today). I love it, and i think it will be hard to leave it behind, since it was a honourable companion in a godless time of my life.

Still being apprehensive of remaining in a lightless nightmare.

>share your benevolent wisdom about The K-Bros with me by giving me your honorouble mentions about it
>the book made me more religious in a carthatic way
>Liked to proceed on Dostojeski which shall be the next

Keep in mind it's my birthday hence you're all invited to this /lit/-thread party. Lean back and dump

i accidently posted this in the thread with the blonde boobies in the subway before. I am really sorry for being a little bit too high right now
>>
>>7447700
How's the translation of pic related ?
I've read crime and punishment by herrmann röhl but is svetlana geier that superior ?
>>
It's plainly a fantastic book. The Grand Inquisitor, the dream about meeting the devil and the trial are the most prominent in my memory of it.

Read Demons next. It's not as 'perfect' as TBK, but it's characters, particularly Nikolay Stavrogin, are phenomenally interesting and of great relevance for todays society.
>>
>>7449553
didn't read Hermann Röhl
but the language was vibrant and fluent, still old fashioned in but not archaic way. So i think that all laudatios for Svetlana Geier as you could read in the Feuilletonts were legit.

I assume that her work will be authorative for the next 50 years at least
>>
>>7449650
>Grand Inquisitor
What did you think of the part right after that?
>>
>>7449876

Can't remember it desu. It's been 5 years or so since I read it. Is that the part where they are getting hammered at that bar?
>>
>>7450053
The part after The Grand Inquisitor is where Father Zosima recounts his youth and his journey of faith, and then after that is Alyosha's faith crisis and its resolution. I ask because The Grand Inquisitor is a striking and memorable section but is not the last word in the book's discussion of faith. I keep finding though that it is a focal point for many readers of the book.
>>
>>7450177
>Father Zosima recounts his youth
Not the guy you were originally talking too, but that was one of my favorite parts of the book. Maybe one of the more important parts as well.
>>
>>7447700
I really loved the tender moment with Dr Herzenstube and the bag of nuts in the courtroom. It reminded me of my grandmother.
>>
>>7450202
It's one of my favorite parts too, and I agree that it's tremendously important. It's a great expression of Dostoyevsky's answer to the questions brought up by The Grand Inquisitor, and it ties in well (maybe inevitably even) with the biblical stepping-off point of the book:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+12%3A24&version=NIV&warning=spoiler+alert
>>
>>7450256
Not him but fug how did I miss that?
>>
Reading this over Christmas holidays, lads.

I'm excited and glad for OP.
>>
>>7447700
Just picked it up from the library, Psyched.
>>
>>7450357
>>7450418

Have you read anything by Dostoyevsky before?
>>
>>7450443
I have not, would crime and punishment be a better starter?
>>
>>7450466
Yes, absolutely. And Notes from Underground would be an even better book to start with F.M. Personally, I would recommend going like this: NfU, Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, Demons, The Brothers Karamazov.
>>
>>7450503
>thinks you need to read an author in a certain order
well memed
>>
>>7450466

Karamazov is great, which is part of the problem. It can spoil someone for anything else Dostoyevsky wrote, a lot of which is great in its own right but can't stand up to this one. I don't think there's anything wrong per se with starting with Karamazov, but it could help I think to read something else of his first.

Dostoyevsky/s short stories tend to get overlooked, which is a shame. 'White Nights' is very good, and so are 'The Christmas Tree and a Wedding' and 'The Heavenly Christmas Tree.' 'The Landlady' shows his concern for the less fortunate, a tendency that carried through his writing to 'A Gentle Spirit.' 'A Nasty Anecdote' and 'The Crocodile' are among his better stories that touch on the absurd. 'Bobok' combines this with a supernatural leaning, along with 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man' (his last work before Karamazov, and his best short story in my opinion).

Maybe some of these could be looked at before Karamazov, along with some novellas that are worth noting. Notes from Underground is worth reading and is mentioned often, maybe too much since other works of his are overlooked. The Double is a very early work and his first earliest that deserves high priority. The Gambler is very insightful about its subject (about which Dosto knew all too well). Notes from the House of the Dead also has a true-to-life authenticity and urgency.

I highly recommend almost all of his full novels. The Idiot is a great character study (and precursor to Alyosha in TBK). Demons shows Dosto's political devilopment. C&P too of course.
>>
>>7450592
have you ever read The Adolescent? i'm not sure i wish to, really. also, are you that same guy who i talked to about dream of a ridiculous man yesterday? good shit fo sho.
>>
>>7450625
I have read The Adolescent, and I didn't care for it at all. I would put it at or near the bottom of the list for completists only. I seem to recall it being something best read (or only read) before a certain age.
I was not involved in the 'Dream of a Ridiculous Man' discussion, but I will agree abou what a tremendous work it is. (Interesting to see these two works mentioned together; I would say that The Adolescent has the lowest 'bang for the buck' or ratio of value-to-page-count among Dostoyevsky's work, and 'Ridiculous Man' the highest.)
>>
>>7450658
yeah, i had that vibe from adolescent before even reading it, but that's so odd that there are so many people who loved dream of a ridiculous man, i guess i've just never been around enough people who've read it, say, did you like gogol's The Portrait, perchance?
>>
>>7450695
I must not have read 'Portrait' yet; I thought 'The Overcoat' and 'The Nose' were very good though.
>>
>>7450749
oh you simply must, it's his best in my humble opinion, you'll not be disappointed.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.