[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Short stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 323x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 323x499
I really want to read AntonCheckhov's stories but don't really know which collection to get, was hoping for a complete collection or bundle of all his work, please tell me your opinion on this matter

Also general short story thread, bonus points for collections/stories that would inspire writing and give you an idea how to base a good short story
>>
did you try googling? this isn't hard to find. oxford chekhov is complete. i don't know why you would want that since he wrote a lot of shit.
>>
I did I just wanted like sort of a second opinion from people who are into this stuff aswell, so you're saying you'd recommend just the pic related p&v edtion?
>>
Borges is always great, and reading him really made me realize how much potential the short story has as a form besides just being a mini-novel like the ones I kept writing.
>>
>>7447716
So basically, if you're feeling stumped, definitely give Ficciones a read
>>
Garnett is fine for chekov. He's the only writer whose tone she manages to capture.

Most of his stories are online and the best is a play called the Cherry orchard but you can read them all in practically any order,
>>
>>7447716
That's how I feel, it's bears slightly more potential for expressing yourself and feelings you have bottled up etc
>>
>>7447709
i don't have a second opinion, learn how to make up your own mind and make minor decisions by yourself.

if you want to talk about chekhov's stories, i'd have an opinion. not interested in giving amazon reviews of books.
>>
>>7447745
Take it down a notch dude I'm meerly trying to make an informed decision and and also hear your thoughts on well written short stories since I'm going to try to write some myself after seeking some inspiration but if you don't want to comment on it you don't really have to
>>
>>7447716
>>7447726
Yeah thanks I will definately look into those!
>>
>>7447771
nah family i'm good. if you want to make an informed decision, try using your brain and researching it yourself.
>>
>>7447826
I have, just wanted to know if others felt the same way or if they perhaps had a different perspective I had not yet realised. In any case, there is no point in me explaining myself to a bitter person, good day and I hope you feel better.
>>
>>7447826
Also the correct term is senpai, only loosers in all aspects would even consider saying family.
>>
>>7447867
i'm thankful that /lit/ is the place where you come to sound out your indecisive materialism. makes this board such a great place.
the way you treat buying books, looking at them from different perspectives, i almost wish i could hear you talk about them.
>>
>>7447659
Pushkin and Gogol. i just never could get into chekhov, i guess that's the pleb in me. i didnt like dubliners either. shit's boring.
>>
>>7447878
I have actually not posted here before but this is but a fraction of it in irl, doesn't really matter though people really seem to enjoy it
>>
>>7447893
Funny you should mention chekhov and dubliners since those are pretty much the ones I have decided on, real good to get feedback on those though.
>>
>>7447919
i'm more of a sensationalist. i feel like the purpose of joyce's dubliners and chekhov's works (that i've read thus far) are more about capturing a moment in its entirety, and really pinning down something, whereas i guess the type of story i like has a nugget of strangeness or spark of clever fantasy inside. now, i may not have particularly been fond of dubliners or chekhov, but they definitely succeed in giving you a captured moment or event. no question that they are masters both.
>>
>>7447938
Yeah, ofcourse I haven't read any of them yet so I can't really give a personal opinion but the purpose of reading those are as much learning how to write a good short story as actually enjoying the read so I somewhat feel those might be essential to that
>>
>>7447981
i still wonder if there was a lot of stuff i missed when i read Dubliners. it made me a bit paranoid, since i had already read Ulysses. it just struck me like Dubliners was more genius since it was possible that there were these labyrinthine secrets lurking behind every dull story that i was just too dumb to get. i'm still not sure, really.
>>
>>7447938
Also I love when a story has a message, does not have to be a dominant just is lies there underneath it all
>>
>>7448000
Yeah I think I will jump straight into ulysses when done with dubliners, sort of feel like I perhaps should read odysseus first to get that deeper understanding of it all aswell
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.