[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Screenplays?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: The_Godfather_Screenplay.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
The_Godfather_Screenplay.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2736
Hey /lit/, do you value or appreciate screenplays the same as you do literature? If you think Shakespeare (and other playwrights) are /lit/ level, why or why not do you think the same of screenplays?
>>
>>7447333

Name a screenplay that reaches up to the same /lit/erary level as Shakespeare.
>>
>>7448556

Well I guess that's part of my question. Do you think a screenplay could ever reach that status? Not all plays are on the level of Shakespeare, but they're often cited on /lit/ level.
>>
>>7448556
http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Synecdoche,-New-York.html
>>
>>7448612
i do love me some charlie kaufman.
>>
>>7448612
No
>>
File: image.jpg (939 KB, 2517x1508) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
939 KB, 2517x1508
>>7448556
Anouihl and Anholt's Becket.

Michael Wilson and Robert Bolt's Lawrence of Arabia

Robert Bolt's Man For All Seasons

And that, my friend, is it.
>>
screenplays are trash. plays are ok if incomplete w/o the apparatus of theater.

screenplays rely a lot more on the rest of the medium to make them worthwhile.
>>
>>7447333
The most common recommendation to someone who wants to write screenplays - at least in my experience - is that it must be as objective as possible, dry, without dibiousness. There isn't much room for wordplay (except on the dialogs) or "poeticity". Generally it is more descriptive.

But there are some writers who probably ignore this recommendations - I can only mention comic writers like Grant Morrison and Alan Moore, two of the few writers I've read the scripts.
>>
>>7450306
Bergman writes his own scripts which gives him more options. They read more like a half novel half play than a screenplay.
>>
>>7450196
>screenplays rely a lot more on the rest of the medium
pure ideology
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
I was surprised recently at the potential for Caesar & Clepatra to be delivered as a great screenplay...

I doubt it's been filmed well, since it's difficult to hint at all of the conspiracies within it.
>>
>>7450456
fuck you zizek you know it's true

the screenplay to vertigo has almost zero merit compared to vertigo the film
>>
>>7448612
yep
>>7449370
die
>>
>>7450196
Well fucking duh.
>>
>>7450956
http://youtu.be/MKzhnuAnqE4
>>
>>7450970
the film sucks so i guess it doesn't have much merit, just like >>7448612
>>
File: 1448994517619.jpg (28 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1448994517619.jpg
28 KB, 640x480
>>7450970
>>7450196
>"I should say at once that I do no look on scenario as a literary genre. Indeed, the more cinematic a script, the less can it claim literary status in its own right, in the way that a play so often can. And we know that in practice no screenplay has ever been on the level of literature."
>"If a scenario is a brilliant piece of literature, then it is far between that it should remain as prose. If a director still wants to make a film from it, then the first thing to be done is to turn it into a screenplay which can be a valid basis for his work. At that point it will be a new script, in which literary images have been replaced by filmic equivalents."
>>
>>7447333
>implying that there has been any good films ever
>>
>>7451157

Is this an actual Zizek quote?
>>
>>7451229
No it's Tarkovsky. That's why I put a pic of him.
>>
>>7451240

Well that explains why I liked it.
>>
>>7448556
A Separation by Asghar Farhadi
>>
>>7448556
Orpheus by Jean Cocteau. It's one of the few screenplays that I'd say is as good as well-done poetry.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.