[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what podcasts does /lit/ listen to? haven't had too much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
what podcasts does /lit/ listen to?

haven't had too much time to listen to too much lately, so I pared down my subscription list to:

The Daily Shoah

Chapo Trap House

Hollywood Handbook

Uhh Yeah Dude
>>
Otherppl is a great book podcast. Interviews. New American fiction, some mainstream, mostly alt/independent. Has had on George Saunders, Jonathan Lethem, Tao Lin. Recently had on Hunter S. Thompson's son because he wrote a memoir. Like the host a lot. Maron-like monologues about life at the beginning are maybe even more crucial to me than the interviews. Interviews are good 95% of the time. Conversation focused on biography of the writer, sometimes craft. Sometimes the guest is annoying and you have to stop, but it's rare. Great podcast, listen to it all the time. Highly recommended.
>>
>>7891627

sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

I should probably say a little bit about the podcasts I listed in case anyone cares

The Daily Shoah - keep an eye on what /pol/ alt-right guys are up to. can be funny.

Chapo Trap House - new left wing podcast hosted by 3 funny twitter guys. 99% of the show is them being disgusted by and mocking garbage political analysts like Peter Daou and Jonathan Chait, highly recommend.

Hollywood Handbook - satirical "hollywood insider" podcast, good guests and funny hosts. check it out if you like the Earwolf guys because they make up the majority of their guests.

Uhh Yeah Dude - THE original podcast, since 2006. two funny neurotic dudes sharing stories and going over wacky news stories.
>>
I'm only subscribed to In Our Time, Samurai Archives and Myths & Legends. All well worth listening to.
>>
Home of the Brave, hosted by Scott Carrier. Th best introduction is this piece he did http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/551/good-guys-2015?act=4. Don't write him off because of This American Life, listen to that shit and tell me he isn't patrician as fuck.
>>
>>7891598
Frenchpod101
>>
>>7891661

this is cool, subscribed.

>>7891668

I should do this too, need to keep my french sharp.
>>
Doug Stanhope's Shotclog Podcast is a beautiful look at tragic people living depraved loves and it's fucking hilarious
>>
Bret Easton Ellis' podcast is comfy as all fuck, and his opening monologues at the beginning of each episode are better than anything else he's ever written.
>>
bombcast, 538, hardcore history and the daily shoah when I feel edgy
>>
99 percent invisible
Radiolab
Radio diaries
The mortified podcast
This american life
Welcome to nightvale
Benjamin walkers theory of everything
The memory palace

I used to listen to freakonomics but I realize more and more that theyre a bunch of self obsessed amoral moneygrubbing fuckheads
>>
Bret talks like he needs to pee but wants to finish talking.
At least he's against SJW's.
>>
>>7891627
Definitely checking this out. Even though your Maron reference makes me cautious, because maron is terrible.

>>7891645
As much as I lean right, I had to cut /pol and everything related out of my life. It's not good to constantly be upset about the world.

>>7891648
Will check these out

>>7892020
Top ten podcasts, the post

One I've enjoyed recently is Rumble Strip Vermont. I suggest start with the episode 'An American Life', it's captivating.

As for generic stuff, I enjoy Joe Rogan, Dr Rhonda Patrick and Stuff you should know
>>
In Our Time is great for introductions to certain topics
>>
The Daily Shoah and some other TRS shows
>>
>>7891661

This. Usually This American Life is too whiney for my tastes, but they had Scott Carrier read one of his short stories out on there once about schizophrenia, fuck it was great.

Home of the Brave definitely worth a listen.

For other podcasts, Hardcore History is the obvious choice for anyone with even a passing interest in history. The Mongols series is fantastic
>>
Novara Fm
Entitled Opinions
London Review of Books
London Review Bookshop

New Yorker fiction podcast, start from the oldest with John Cheever 'Reunions' short story.
>>
File: based peter .jpg (95 KB, 600x803) Image search: [Google]
based peter .jpg
95 KB, 600x803
>>7891598

Listen up, here's your definitive list of worthwhile podcasts (not that pleb shit like Radiolab).

>History of Philosophy without Any Gaps
>In Our Time
>History of Philosophy in India
>BackStory
>History of the Crusades
>History of Rome
>Revolutions
>New Yorker Radio Hour (+ their show on fiction if you're into that)
>Fresh Air (+All Things Considered if you're into that)

When those get exhausting I listen to the Giant Bombcast, Roundtable Live, or Hardcore History for fun. The Bombcast especially is the best video game podcast out there, which isn't saying a lot but there you go. Roundtable is a close second for me, but I think you have to already like the personalities going into it to get anything out of it.
>>
>>7892989
Have you tried out Myths & Legends? Or know any other myth-based ones that are good? Lore is absolute shit.
>>
>>7892994
Yeah, I didn't like Lore either. I don't know much about that to be honest, but I'll definitely check out Myths & Legends, sounds interesting. I'm trying to work through my unending IOT backlog right now.
>>
>>7892574
Not a big Maron fan either, will only listen when there's a guest I really like. The host of Otherppl is nothing like Maron, personality-wise. I mentioned Maron only because the show is structured like his: monologue about life, then interview.
>>
Welcome to Nightvale and Black Books.
>>
>>7895045
That should probably be Black Tapes, not Books. I'm not entirely awake right now.
>>
File: scipio_africanus.jpg (49 KB, 335x458) Image search: [Google]
scipio_africanus.jpg
49 KB, 335x458
The History of Philosophy
The History of Rome
Revolutions
NPR Politics
BBC World News

Listened to Stuff You Should Know for years, but haven't been listening to it recently.
>>
To add a BBC podcast about social sciences, I'd recommend Thinking Allowed.
>>
>>7892582
In Our Time is top tier
>>
>>7891661
I was with this until I saw the Bernie Sanders episode

>muh one percent
>>
>>7891598
Zero Squared, from the Zero Books publisher; Last Podcast On The Left; 99 percent invisible
>>
Partially Examined Life is great if you're interested in philosophy. They are 3-4 guys going through one book or more written by a philosopher and discuss the ideas in the text. If you liked the philosophy podcasts from In our Time but didn't think they were long enough or didn't go deep enough you should definitely try out this one. Every episode is more than 2 hours so they really go through the text thoroughly. I really love the podcasters, 3 of them got a master in philosophy and one has a Ph.D in physics. They can be really funny at times and they are probably the smartest guys I have heard on a podcast.
>>
>>7892020
>This american life
absoloute shit
>>
>>7891598
chapo trap house

radio war nerd

roderick on the line

fangraphs audio

the last exit show

used to listen to a lot of public radio stuff, but becoming less and less interested in that and looking for some new stuff
>>
File: 1424570550676.jpg (31 KB, 376x471) Image search: [Google]
1424570550676.jpg
31 KB, 376x471
>""""""""Hardcore"""""""" History
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.