[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished pic related. Why isn't Edith considered one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: 61UbQXxc-iL.jpg (119 KB, 772x1230) Image search: [Google]
61UbQXxc-iL.jpg
119 KB, 772x1230
Just finished pic related.

Why isn't Edith considered one of the greatest literary villains of all time?
>>
because shes pretty sympathetic
>>
Because you're one of the great misinterpreters of the time.
>>
>>7446603
how so?
>>
>>7446599
Because she's far from spectacular, there's no single redeeming quality or quirk to her. She was as much a product of a certain social disposition as was he.
>>
>>7446607
Explain then how she didn't ruin Stoner's and Grace's life out of pure, selfish spite
>>
>>7446599
Because of the traumatic upbringing that turned her into a stunted Adult, and the fact that her treatment of Grace was motivated by Love, even though she fucked up her life.
>>
>>7446614
>missing the point this hard

maybe literature isn't for you anon
>>
>>7446625
Still waiting on that explanation.
>>
>>7446624
her treatment of Grace was motivated by her hatred for Stoner, let's be honest. Stoner even calls her out on it in his own beta way.
>>
Friendly reminder that Stoner raped Edith and if you think she's a bitch, you're a manchild.
>>
File: 1439489532534.gif (787 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1439489532534.gif
787 KB, 480x360
>>7446646
>first real answer to the question OP posted
>>
people who think edith is a villain haven't had a gf before. statistically
>>
>>7446651
No one bothered responding with a real answer cause the question is stupid.
>>
Because no one cared about this book until 2011.
>>
>>7446824
Yeah, by the way, what caused this resurgence? It is a pretty good book, why was it ignored for decades only to flare up later like herpes?

I even saw new translations of it appearing.
>>
>>7446916

I don't think there one any initial single catalyst. It was more that general word of mouth led to a French translation, which lead to an explosion of popularity in Europe.
>>
>>7446916
Didn't some famous person say it was their favorite book?
>>
File: 1449536199410.png (266 KB, 635x457) Image search: [Google]
1449536199410.png
266 KB, 635x457
>>7446646
>two wrongs make a right
>it's ok for people to be assholes as long as they think they have a reason to
>hitler was justified in killing da jooze because one cheated him out of going to art school once
opinion discarded
>>
>>7446608
its been a while since I read the book but didn't she have a very repressive upbringing
>>
>>7447046
>comparing edith to hitler
holy shit spineless virgin men will do anything
>>
File: 1449633450770.jpg (39 KB, 450x448) Image search: [Google]
1449633450770.jpg
39 KB, 450x448
>>7447066
i was comparing their thought processes lad
>>
>>7447046
If you bothered to point out the second wrong, then I wouldn't have to make that post, because Edith evidently isn't perfect. But you imply that Stoner is the hero of the novel and are unable to look critically at him because you're a bad reader and a manchild.
>>
>>7446646
Do you think he raped her? I just took it to be that she was basically incapable of love and passion beyond her programming, she did what was necessary of her but with no real connection to it. To someone with no motivation sex is often a disgusting act, through combination of that and her lack of personality/passion and the loss of her virginity caused her reaction; also the accpetance of what her life might be now. I just reread the part there and she says to him to wait and she'll be ready. It wasn't exactly a nice time either of them had but I thought that was because they were almost polar opposites of lust/passion etc.
>>
>>7446599
She was maybe as much victim as she was villain. To her and her family there was no obvious reason for her not to marry him but she shouldnt have, she had a child hoping it would give her life meaning but it didn't. William was the very sort of person that she could have learned from and perhaps have been happy but she was too shut up in herself and I think she was envious that he had achieved in ways she wanted to and never had eg. when she says she wants to do sculpture and things while he is already an accomplished academic, his daughter loved him and wanted to be with him and learn from him and she had to crack the whip to stop it and William was too kind/weak to take their daughter from her and vice versa. She was even okay with the affair; she slowly moved from spite and sabotage towards empathy.
>>
>>7447066
>spineless virgin men
opinion discarded tbqh
>>
>>7447884
he didnt get affirmative consent :^)
>>
implying the real villains aren't lomax and the other cripple

implying this book isn't an ableist manifesto
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.