[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here enjoy the poem Paradise Lost?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
Anyone here enjoy the poem Paradise Lost?
>>
File: 1433909398280.jpg (28 KB, 415x476) Image search: [Google]
1433909398280.jpg
28 KB, 415x476
>>7446481

>falling
>has wings
>>
File: the-dark-knight-rises-26.jpg (30 KB, 670x279) Image search: [Google]
the-dark-knight-rises-26.jpg
30 KB, 670x279
>>7446511
>falling
>has wings
>>
>>7446559

broken wings*
>>
>>7446559
kek'd
>>
>>7446572
why? it's obvious the mechanics of the planes aren't working properly. Of course it would fall
>>
>>7446511

he was unconscious you dingus read the thing
>>
>>7446604
I guess you could say he "fell" for it
>>
No. No one on this board enjoyed PL.
>>
Paradise Lost is le dank unironically. it's brilliant. to me personally Milton wasted his talents writing about boring old Adam and Eve. without how wonderful Satan is, the poem would have been pretty dry and not worth the time. also the battle for heaven was super awesome.

all in all it's a masterpiece and only plebs dont like it
>>
>>7446481
Love it. As a book/major work of lit., it's my fourth fav.
>>
>>7446604
Not precisely sure which part the illustration is trying to represent, but:
The first time they are falling, it is because they are being chased by the victorious angels, not because they are unconscious
The seconds time he almost falls, it is because he is caught in the overwhelming waves of Night and Chaos, not because he is unconscious

>>7446668
I would have loved to see a Harrowing of Hell written by Milton
>>
muh original sin
>>
>>7446628
I just wanted to talk about the book
>>
>>7446559
But it was part of the plan...
>>
>>7446668
>Milton wasted his talents writing about boring old Adam and Eve
I'd argue that he fit the tone to the subject (pretty, happy, stable), and that we tend to think the parts with Satan are better because Milton himself was temping us.

Also book 9 gives me an erection.
>>
My English lit. professor said that the top four important works of English literature (in no specific order) are:

Hamlet
Paradise Lost
The King James Bible
Ulysses (and he despises Ulysses)

Is he right?
>>
>>7447056
p much

BTW Satan is described in book 9, having assumed the snake body, as:

>Circular base of rising foulds, that tour'd
>Fould above fould a surging Maze
>With burnisht Neck of verdant Gold, erect
>Amidst his circling Spires, that on the grass
>Floted redundant: pleasing was his shape,
>And lovely, never since of Serpent kind
>So varied hee, and of his tortuous Traine
>Curld many a wanton wreath in sight of Eve,
>To lure her Eye; ...

First tentacle monster in cultural history? Yea or nay?
>>
>>7447056
Wouldn't Canterbury Tales be above Paradise Lost? And Shakespeare's other works could definitely compete for two or three of the spaces on a top 4.
>>
>>7447067
Segments like these make unable to take TS Eliot seriously in his criticisms of Milton, where he essentially claims due to his blindness Milton flourished in the auditory and musical at the cost of the visual.
>>
>>7446668
I actually like Samson Agonistes almost as much.
>>
>>7447165
A lot of the time when Milton describes the visual, he says something like "it was like this thing from a different epic, but even more spectacular" so I would say to some extent that may be the case
>>
Have you ever known anyone to quote from the poem and them think it's from the bible?
>>
>>7446668
>Paradise Lost is le dank unironically

What the hell does this mean?
>>
>>7447229
Using my expert 4chan translating skills, it seems to mean "Paradise Lost is pretty good, not joking".

You're welcome.
>>
>>7447056
How are you defining 'important' here? Ulysses is great but it seems like a major stretch to put it in when it is so relatively recent and wasn't even the first groundbreaking book by Joyce.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.