[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Divine Comedy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
Lets discuss the greatest book ever.

So, why was Dante exiled in 1301? Did he speak out against corruption in Florence?
>>
>>7446335
Wasn't it because he was a white guelph but the black guelphs took power and accused him of being politically corrupt? :s
>>
>After the Guelphs finally defeated the Ghibellines in 1289 at Campaldino and Caprona, Guelphs began to fight among themselves. By 1300 the Florentine Guelphs had divided into the Black Guelphs and the White Guelphs. The Blacks continued to support the Papacy, while the Whites were opposed to Papal influence, specifically the influence of Pope Boniface VIII. Dante was among the supporters of the White Guelphs, and in 1302 was exiled when the Black Guelphs took control of Florence
>>
>>7446348
Dante got the last laugh when he canonically put them all in hell
>>
>>7446375
but he never got to return to his beloved florence ;~;

i cri evry tiem
>>
>>7446375
>canon
Nah, it's just glorified fanfic.
>>
>>7446381
F A N O N
A
N
O
N
>>
I'm currently reading that book. I've finished the inferno, I found it really good.
However I've heard that Purgatorio and Paradiso are pretty soporific. Is that true?
>>
>>7446442
read it and find out
>>
>>7446442
inferno is literally the plebbiest one
not memeing it was purposely written in a more vulgar way
>>
>>7446452
this anon is right. no memes.
>>
>>7446381
what isn't? You could say the same about Ulysses or even Homer himself who drew inspiration from other stories
>>
>>7446452
well, Are inferno and paradise at least readable?
>>
>>7446471
yes. use footnotes if you need help with christian theology.
>>
>>7446479
thanks anon, I will try.
>>
>>7446335
purgatorio>inferno>>>paradiso
prove me wrong
>>
>>7446335
Has there been written a decent biography on Dante and especially his works in a historical context in English?
>>
>>7446459
>even Homer himself
Sorry, no. Homer is the first literature of the West. Why? Because unlike all the stupid shit in the bible it's not just a Jewish knock off of Babylonian and Egyptian literature.
>>
>>7446534
>being this young
>being this edgy
>being this ignorant

i envy you i wish i could go back to a time when this is how i thought too :(

cherish youth!! memento mori et carpe diem!!
>>
>>7446544
feel free to cite a list of Homer's "influences"
>>
>>7446701
Isn't it generally accepted that he did little more than compile existing oral traditions? He was the first to write them down but he didn't make all that shit up
>>
>>7446520
Purgatorio ≥ Paradiso > Inferno
>>
Can someone recommend me a quality edition of Dante's work, preferably something with Doré illustrations?
>>
File: dantechart.png (2 MB, 2000x7594) Image search: [Google]
dantechart.png
2 MB, 2000x7594
>>7446741
>>
>>7446874
>inb4 blank verse vs free verse guy
>>
>>7446874

Cheers.
>>
>>7446730
there are no evidences on that
>>
>>7446935
prove it -_-
>>
>>7446935
the existence of the epic cycle lends strong credence to that belief, unless you subscribe to the idea that the lost epic cycle works were all derived from homer, which isn't really an accepted position according to modern scholarship
>>
>>7446879
That guy was amazingly autistic even by /lit/ standards.
>>
>>7446534
Ulysses was originally an Indo-Aryan myth, not Greek.
>>
>>7446879
I'm here.

Please disregard >>7446874, which is a chart made by someone "recommending" translations he hasn't read while getting basic facts wrong. Look up reviews online instead.
>>
>>7446381
This meme needs to stop. Sooner or later, people will start believing it.
>>
File: 9781435103849.jpg (26 KB, 260x400) Image search: [Google]
9781435103849.jpg
26 KB, 260x400
>>7446874
damnit, this one doesn't seem too good.

It looks nice though and it got the illustrations and what have you.
>>
>>7447380
You keep saying it's blank verse when it's obvious it's not idk why you're so autistic about this.

I didn't make the chart and in didn't post it but I saw you freak out last thread lol.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.