[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to get to such a level that I could read and understand foreign
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
How to get to such a level that I could read and understand foreign language fiction without much struggle?
I'm learning German and I can read news articles without much problem, but reading fiction is still a challenge. I tried to read Buddenbrooks, but shit was tough. I mean, I understood most words, but I got lost in longer sentences, and, I guess, the style of the author differs from that German language which I'm used to. Would comparing the original with the translation help to learn the language?
>>
>>7445941
People have trouble reading serious novels in their own language, dude.
>>
>>7445941
I am bilingual, but I can only seem to read well in one, and write well in the other. Languages and strange, you'd be better of learning memes.
>>
>>7445941
Lol at jumping right into Buddenbrooks. Brah I could hardly comprehend that shit in English. Jumping into Mann is like jumping into Beckett for someone new to English. Read fuckin Grimm brothers then progress to YA garbage. Only after you are completely comfortable with that shit should you give Musil, Mann, Kafka, Goethe, Hesse, Roth, Broch, Boll, Grass and Bernhard.
>>
>>7446011
So if I understand you correctly, you can read well in English?
>>
>>7445941
Maybe it's a cultural/historic thing preventing you.

How many English speakers can read Dickens and understand him? Basically this
>>7445973
>>
Read children books (Michael Ende and Cornelia Funke, for example), not some fucked up postmodernism, for a start.
>>
>>7445941
Well, for some reason a lot of the "höhere Literatur" in German is written in a level of complexity that even most native speakers have a hard time comprehending. The percentage of german people that can actually unterstand kafka gotta be in the low double digits.
>>
>>7446372
Kafka's sentence structure isnt particular hard to understand. Dunno where you got that one from.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cej3aNcjFv0
>>
You study, listen to/speak, and read/write it.

There is no mystery, here. There's no royal road. It'd be great if lazy people could just download it into their head in seconds like some "awesome" Matrix scene, but real skills require effort. Sorry, chum.
>>
>>7446042
Hah!
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.