[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The guy whose novel we described as "David Foster Walla
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
File: joshuacohenheartoftheparty.jpg (37 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
joshuacohenheartoftheparty.jpg
37 KB, 640x425
The guy whose novel we described as "David Foster Wallace meets David Mitchell meets the search history that you just cleared" is one of Esquire's 2015 breakouts.

>"What is it about Joshua Cohen's novel Book of Numbers that got us and everyone else so breathless?"

>"Ambition, for one, both in its scope (a writer and an Internet mogul travel the world; nothing is as it seems) and in its groundbreaking structure. There is also the matter of the narrator's voice, greeting the reader thusly: "If you're reading this on a screen, fuck off. I'll only talk when I'm gripped with both hands." Things only pick up from there. "

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/interviews/a39840/joshua-cohen-book-of-numbers-2015-breakouts/

What do you think /lit?
>>
>There is also the matter of the narrator's voice, greeting the reader thusly: "If you're reading this on a screen, fuck off. I'll only talk when I'm gripped with both hands."
lmfao this is so gay
>>
>>7445767
Oh shit that sounds p. edgy af
>>
>>7445767
IMO he is the guy posting as not-Pynchon.
>>
>Cohen
>>
>>7445774
It also doesn't rule out the kindle, which can be gripped with both hands.
>>
>>7445793
He seems pretty based though.

> hates MFA degrees
> knew about NSA before it was public

Hopefully Book of Numbers will live up to hype.
>>
>>7445800
>live up to the hype
Why haven't you read it already?
>>
>>7445870
I'm preparing myself to read it by thinking of the book's title and author name every once in a while until I sign it out at the library.

I can't be the only one who does this?
>>
>>7445800
>> knew about NSA before it was public
what does this mean

seems like a tryhard
>>
>>7445891
I guess so did Shia Lebeouf as well.
>>
I know goodreads and amazon ratings are pretty throwaway, but, this book got trashed so hard on those sites. It's incredibly rare to see shit below three stars.
>>
How is Cloud Atlas btw? Good airport material?
>>
>>7445799
Nor does it rule out my penis, upon which is bloodily inscribed his entire bibliography in barely legible glyphic scratches. In rejection of what he has said, I grip it with two hands and my mouth, and begin the ritualistic reading as my eyes sprint, dazed and skittish, across the scars from which I learn.
>>
>>7445790
Not-Pynchon confirmed this wasn't the case.
>>
>>7445927
Not really funny to be honest mate
>>
>>7445931
The fake one did. It was a good imitation though.
>>
>>7445909
It's alright, fairly compelling but it doesn't stick very much.
>>
>>7445944
Wait... what??!?!?!?!
>>
>>7445936
I had a smile, to be honest as well
>>
>>7445944
No, the one I'm talking about definitely wasn't an imitation. He knew things that only NP could have known about, e.g. when he corrected me about him witnessing Harold Bloom throw a pencil across the room after someone mentioned Matthew Arnold (I thought it was a pen), and about how Bloom enjoyed the company of female students. He had only said this once before, and it was back in early 2010 in a thread where he was posting Anon and no one knew he was Not-Pynchon.
>>
>>7445998
Nah, he said some stuff that didn't make sense. It was a good attempt.
>>
>>7446007
Irrefutable proof that the guy really was Not-Pynchon:

https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S649265#p650263
https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S7163516#p7164724
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 300x400
>>7445998
I've compiled over 10 NP threads for Pinochet Magazine—that moe from this wasn't the real deal. He also wasn't Joshua 'Bad Phillip Roth' Cohen.

But, on Joshua Cohen: Book of Numbers is bad. Read his interviews, though. He's a smart guy and probably has a good book in him somewhere.
>>
>>7446024
Look at the response he quoted... Were you the monkey imitating him? Gj, t b h. Methylphenidate?
>>
>>7446049
I wasn't imitating him, I'm the guy he responded to, like I said. I also posted a couple times in the thread from 2010. It's definitely the same person, and it's definitely Not-Pynchon.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 300x224) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 300x224
>>7446061
Based on what though?

This:
>>7446024
Can be dismissed. For more than just the reason you provided. The fake was just using info provided w/in the 2015 thread.

I've placed NP's posts word for word in galleys for Pineckonee Mag—I'd love if that thread was him—but it isn't. If he got heavily into drugs or was brain damaged, maybe. But come on...
>>
>>7446185
I will forever be convinced it was him because of The Pencil Correction, which no, cannot be dismissed, given the particular way that conversation went, him mentioning he'd bitched about Bloom in 2010, followed by my repeating the Matthew Arnold story he told in 2010 with me thinking that Bloom threw a pen, which was then followed by him pointing out that it was actually a pencil, which is such an obscure piece of information as to make his identity as Not-Pynchon all but certain
>>
>>7446208
I had a prof who studied under Harold Bloom who claimed he only used fountain pens and shunned all technology. It's possible Bloom, in a luddite rage, threw 2HB pencil in Arnold's possession, hurling across the room."

I don't care.
>>
File: X1aAv.jpg (58 KB, 663x720) Image search: [Google]
X1aAv.jpg
58 KB, 663x720
>>7446208
That information was avail to us. There are other NP hunters among us. I've spoken w/them before. For instance NP said he's a fag. which is included in the 2015 thread. OK. BUT every time NP opened his post-mouth in 2010, he was showing us something interesting, something mind expanding. The 2015 mong is just trying to show us he's NP. There have bbeen multiple threads of ppl trying to prove they're NP. So what? That one was good, but it wasn't him. Did you learn anything? No. The Bleeding Edge stuff was IN BLEEDING EDGE. I am open minded though. If you have better proof, I'm listening.
>>
>>7446231
Not sure what you're trying to say here. You realize Matthew Arnold is from the 19th century, right?

>>7446248
You sound like a fanatic. I think it was just Not-Pynchon posting for fun.
>>
File: image.jpg (234 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
234 KB, 675x900
>>7446307
>fanatic
Nah. Just recognized that NP is way smarter & decided to exploit that. Though it does feel like hunting an evil albino whale sometimes. You're probably right. :D
>>
>>7446322

More photos of girls smoking, please.
>>
>>7446307
He repeated something found in the archive and was wrong on stuff not found in the archive.
>>
File: image.jpg (193 KB, 1450x967) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193 KB, 1450x967
>>7446338
Exactly. Also he put NotPynchon for the name and the first post was too long winded.

>>7446322
How about more Adele?
>>
>>7446332
fuck off faggot
>>
>>7446352

Excuse me?
>>
>>7446357
Smoking is disgusting.
>>
>>7446366

Oh, really? I'm really sorry...I didn't realize! Thank you for opening my eyes to this fact! I'm sorry for deeply offending your sensibilities by requesting images that I didn't realize were disgusting...At least I now know the correct way to think and live thanks to you.
>>
>>7445800
>he likes our meme!
>suspected something thousands if not millions suspected before it was confirmed
Nice reasoning.
>>
>>7446357
fuck off you faggot
>>
>>7446419

Excuse me?
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 534x356) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 534x356
>>7446366
That's so not /lit/. Learn to accept nihilism, you booger.
>>
>>7446343
I believe the answer is always more Adele.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 500x629) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 500x629
>>7446567
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.