[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Of all that is written, I love only what a person hath
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: index.jpg (6 KB, 193x262) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6 KB, 193x262
"Of all that is written, I love only what a person hath written with his blood. Write with blood, and thou wilt find that blood is spirit.

It is no easy task to understand unfamiliar blood; I hate the reading idlers.

He who knoweth the reader, doeth nothing more for the reader. Another century of readers—and spirit itself will stink.

Every one being allowed to learn to read, ruineth in the long run not only writing but also thinking.

Once spirit was God, then it became man, and now it even becometh populace.

He that writeth in blood and proverbs doth not want to be read, but learnt by heart."

Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra. On Reading and Writing.

Discuss.
>>
There's not much to discuss, I think it's pretty self explanatory. Basically, lazy, friendless shut-ins who do nothing but read in their life have nothing valuable to say and aren't interesting.
>>
>>7889037
Then doesnt that invalidate everything Nietzsche said?
>>
>>7889057
Not quite. He was personal friends with Wagner and stayed at his home pretty often. He traveled Europe, and planned to enlist in the military but couldn't because of his health. He suffered irregular physical ailments most of his life.

He also said that his most valuable thoughts came to him while he was outside, traveling or taking a walk, with one of his first recorded writings ever being a letter where he was hiking in the mountains and had to take shelter at some old person's hut when a thunderstorm began.

He did read a lot, obviously, but he had enough practical / worldly sense to realize how damaging bookworm shut-ins are to the world.
>>
>>7889037
You're a disgusting reading idler, you'd better stick to letting your english teacher interpret words for you since clearly you're not up to the task.
>>
>tfw Nietzsche would have contempt for me

feels bad
>>
>>7889081
How so?
>>
>>7889067
How are bookworms damaging to the world?
You clearly have some pretty deep issues of your own to deal with
>>
>>7889067
He actually did enlist in the military, and served for a full year until he slipped getting up on a horse and tore two muscles in his left side. He was about to rank up to a captain.
>>
>>7889105
He's not making a statement about "readers" as a wholly inclusive group of people who do sit around and read. He's lambasting what he calls reading idlers. Their problem is not that they read, it is that they read superficially and cannot comprehend or don't have the capacity to comprehend writing with blood/spirit or depth and profundity that will challenge them to grow, thus their spirit stagnates.

> He who knoweth the reader, doeth nothing more for the reader. Another century of readers—and spirit itself will stink.

If you read something that simply reaffirms your pre-existing beliefs it will do nothing for you. You have learned nothing and spent your time idly. Spirit will sink because idle readers are writing for other idle readers what these idle readers already know and have ingrained in themselves as truth. No progression.

> Every one being allowed to learn to read, ruineth in the long run not only writing but also thinking.

With widespread literacy the number of these idle readers will begin writing for idle readers, the pool of knowledge is watered down with shallow thoughts and redundancy. Over time this will lead to the destruction of writing and thinking since no new thoughts or ideas are being generated and people aren't reading to learn and grow but to reinforce what they already believe.
>>
>>7889131
just look at the great influence academic 'intellectuals' have had on society
>>
He's just saying when reading becomes a thing for the populace it becomes just another stinking political meaningless sphere

Of you assume he means people who read a lot then lol
>>
>>7889096
He had contempt for almost everyone and in Ecce Homo he said he reserved his harshest criticism for his friends.

Some people argue he was simply nuts when he wrote the book but I like to think he was just entering smugfrog.jpg territory and had led everyone on a wondrous wild goosechase for meaning in his works, believed they understood him and BOOM, he says all is inverted, now go back and figure me out again *tips fedora*

It gels with his philosophy well though, in Zarathustra's first part he basically says the final act one should make as a disciple of Zarathustra should be to spurn Zarathustra's teachings and go his own path. Ecce Homo was a book written to make people who read him do precisely that.
>>
File: soqvZPH.png (273 KB, 600x583) Image search: [Google]
soqvZPH.png
273 KB, 600x583
>>7889320
>tfw the flies in the marketplace punish me for my virtue
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.