[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a good read? I don't know why but I really feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: dracula.jpg (87 KB, 841x1238) Image search: [Google]
dracula.jpg
87 KB, 841x1238
Is this a good read? I don't know why but I really feel like grabbing this from the library tomorrow and reading it. Is there a specific edition or anything I should be looking out for?
>>
I've never seen the accent over the A like that.
>>
>>7444684
If Victorian language doesn't bother you. Also: epilstilary and he repeats story points over and over from different characters points of view, so repetitive. Always go for the Norton Critical Edition, bro! It gives lots of footnotes for antiquated words and references.
>>
I disagree, I didn't find it repetative at all. I found the form very engaging and well crafted, and each person's individual style and voice is very well done. seriously one of the best written works I've read.
>>
If you've ever read a victorianish novel you'll have no trouble. The language isn't difficult and it's pretty fast-paced most of tbe way through. Had some really creepy parts. Just dive in.
>>
>>7444701
Is it read Drake-ula?
Anyway Yeah I like Dracula all of the (what are now) tropes of the vampire genre are the big twists here.
It's worth your time though. The prose is good and the characters are really strong.

My English teacher had an edition that is made to look like the newspaper clippings and diary pages that the text is written as. It was super neat- but I also think it's like a 120USD. Not needed for just the story.
>>
>>7444684
A pleasant, engaging and a quick read.
Dracula is the basis of many vampire stories, age and gender independent. It is accessible to them all, while also carrying the inspiration and enjoyment to make it last in the readers' minds.
I have read it many years ago, yet it still is something I have memories reading, and I keep being reminded of it in pop culture.

No need to buy a book like this. Any library version will do, as long as it's the novel, not a film version.
>>
It's actually surprising how well it's written given how shitty a writer Bram Stoker actually was. Worth a read if you like atmospheric Victorianism and vampires.
>>
>>7444849
How was Bram a bad writer if his story was well written?
>>
>>7444853
prose retards hate any plot
>>
>>7444853
It's his other works that are terribly written. Just try reading The Lair of the a White Worm.

>>7444869
>actually believing the prose-plot meme
>>
>>7444880
>The Lair of the a White Worm

What?
>>
>>7444684
give it a read op, it was one of the first books i read when i picked up reading...
go for english edition.
bram stoker was an athlete- and i read it back to back with king's salem's lot.
stoker is by far a better writer much more finesse
>>
>>7444931
Stoker has written other books as well, not just dracula
>>
>>7445917
he was questioning the "the a" part when he said what
its the lair of the white worm
not the lair of the a white worm
>>
>>7445952
oh okay
>>
Thanks for all the great responses guys, gonna pick in up in a couple of hours!
>>
>>7444684
Yes, but my opinion is very biased because I love almost every gothic novel to see.

>>7444701
I suppose it's a spanish edition, the accent needed to fix the correct pronunciation.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.