[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
best publication series? >pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
best publication series?
>pic related
>>
>>7444593
I like them too. I also love Cambridge, Harvard, Yale, and Brill.
>>
File: penguinhardcover.jpg (185 KB, 1024x366) Image search: [Google]
penguinhardcover.jpg
185 KB, 1024x366
>>7444601
i like the modern library classics too
obviously penguin is bullshit but I see their new hardcover series in bookstores constantly and theyre quite beautiful
>>
>>7444593
My favorites: Minnesota Press, Vintage, Verso. OPs choice is also great
>>
>>7444613
i heard their new arthur miller stuff is good too
>>
Anyone else detest the OUP typeface?
>>
>>7444651
no, what don't you like about it?
it's big and clean-looking. im not so concerned with the font, which is ideal.
>>
File: 1430388532496.jpg (41 KB, 325x499) Image search: [Google]
1430388532496.jpg
41 KB, 325x499
>>7444665

Too stylised imo. I mean, I'll still read 'em, I'm just growing tired of looking at that grandiose typeface every time. Will pick some other publisher if possible.

I also feel like the Penguin hate on this board is mostly contrarianism, essentially disliking what's popular because liking what's popular makes you a pleb. In my experience, most Penguin editions are well edited by an expert in the field/author, who writes an introduction which puts you on the right critical path without overlabouring the point. My Penguin edition of Don Juan was expensive but is by far the best edition of it that I was able to find.
>>
>>7444738
i didnt even know penguin was considered "establishment"
Personally I just dislike them because their covers are gross-- those weard bands? the oxford ones with the whole-page images are much nicer-- and the spacing isnt very pleasing to me
>>
Obv Penguin & Oxford are the best publishers for making pretty much the entire canon available, always.
Vintage International for the feel of the paper (light, recycled, grey) and cover (not too thick, pliable) and nicely line spaced.
>>
>>7444593

Norton Critical Editions are pretty great too. Some are even better than their OWC counterparts.

Hackett for general philosophy, and Cambridge for political philosophy.
>>
>The Karamazov Brothers

WHY?
>>
>>7444797
Just started that exact edition today
>>
>>7444613
Why is Penguin bullshit? I think they're a great publisher, but maybe I'm just a pleb.
>>
>>7444967
They're fine. It's a meme to dislike them. The only flaw is that they sometimes have mediocre translations.
>>
>>7444593
OUP, Penguin, NYRB, Everyman.
>>
>>7444797
>reading it in english

I hope you like 200 word long sentences.
>>
>>7444593
>Authorized

God works for the Oxford publishing?
>>
>>7445043
Yes he started last tueday. He shares the corner office with Stacy.
>>
Agreed, I've been meaning to start this thread for a while. OUP has best translators, editors and notes. Their Joyce and Melville for example. 200-400-paged copies are pretty durable too, meanwhile all penguins dent and bend easily.
>>
>>7444774
Norton Critical Eds with the bible paper are hands-down the best.
>>
>>7445610
This thread gets posted like twice a month there's nothing here that hasn't been discussed 1000 times. Lurk more newfag.
>>
>>7444593
u of minn's Deleuze series is the godsex of paperbacks imo. even if some of the translations are poor
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.