[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>whatever the social effects of talk radio or the partisan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: davidfosterwallace-998x814.jpg (106 KB, 998x814) Image search: [Google]
davidfosterwallace-998x814.jpg
106 KB, 998x814
>whatever the social effects of talk radio or the partisan agendas of certain hosts, it is a fallacy that political talk radio is motivated by ideology. It is not. Political talk radio is a business, and it is motivated by revenue. —DFW, "Host"

Has our Meme Supreme surpassed ideology itself?
>>
>>7442993
I don't think he knew what the word ideology stood for
>>
>>7443086
Le ebin troll post! XD
>>
yes but it stil makes the talk with a ideological filter/manipulation or another or another one
>>
>>7443100
Le what? XD
>>
>>7442993

This was the dude that delivered a speech on fish and water.
>>
>>7442993
ann coulter phenomenon
>posting tautologies as if they were anyones original thought
>>
>>7443281
Either you don't know the definition of "tautology" or you had a _very_ different reading of that article than I did...
>>
>>7443397
I think he meant parroting things other people said.
>>
>>7443401
in a capitalist culture, saying that career-political commentators and the structure that supports and disseminates them are motivated by profit and not politics is banal to the point of tautology.
>>
>>7443460
Oh tautology more in the logic department. Strange that though people know this it's largely accepted.
>>
>>7443460
This desu
It's like saying the same of doctors and scientists (well some doctors only do it for the money but there are ton that do it because it's considered one of the few morally good positions by almost all of society)
>>
>>7442993
He's right. Kind of obvious
>>
>>7443460
fair enough, I was referring to syntactical tautology (conflating "ann coulter" and "phenomenon")
>>
>>7442993
Read the same essay, but it's less true today with Blog Talk Radio and pure ideology and so on then it was when David wrote it back in the time of OJ Simpson.
David would despair over modern people making ideology their identity, like we see now.
>>
>>7443698
which makes no sense regardless of how someone interprets DFW, go autism somewhere else
>>
File: Wallace1.png (64 KB, 270x259) Image search: [Google]
Wallace1.png
64 KB, 270x259
>>7442993
Is revenue/money an ideology, or is the idea that money could be ideology, ideology?
or, replace "ideology" with "spook" if you please
>>
>>7444873
you're mixing up my rummikin pieces, patronis
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.