[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greetings from a college freshman far away from home. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: summercamp6.gif (11 KB, 201x175) Image search: [Google]
summercamp6.gif
11 KB, 201x175
Greetings from a college freshman far away from home.

I'm homesick and mostly lifesick and have a conservative lifestyle. I find it overwhelming to incorporate change, and wallow in nostalgia all day long.

Any good books and/or advice concerning this topic are appreciated.

I want something I can relate to on a most personal level, and increase my self-confidence. I want to look forward to the future, not hide from it.
>>
>>7442782
aww that sucks man. maybe try some classics. read counte of monte cristo.
>>
>>7442782
What have you read before hand?
>>
Read Donna Fartt's Secret History
>>
File: hemingway21.png (171 KB, 615x290) Image search: [Google]
hemingway21.png
171 KB, 615x290
>>7442782
You can never go wrong with Hemmingway, maybe in particular to your situation: the short stories involving Nick.
>>
>>7442782
Analyse this poem and then emulate it irl

http://genius.com/Death-grips-i-want-it-i-need-it-death-heated-lyrics

Then you'll be good as gold
>>
The cure cant be found in books.
Find some clubs or sports to get involved in. I volunteered at the local radio station when I was in your shoes.

In the meantime, start with the Greeks. Especially Stoicism.
>>
>>7442782
Stoner
>>
>>7442782
It fucking sucks that you're conservative because everybody in colleges super liberal. Like mentally Deranged liberal. Just make sure you don't change your values , you're in the right
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (263 KB, 895x900) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
263 KB, 895x900
>>7442782
real talk my bro the most hardcore advice your going to get is the BIBLE!

live for the future! praise Jesus, LORD of /lit/! all y'all kids be quotin the book written about Him
>>
>>7442782
Quit caring about what others are doing in uni. Focus on your studies and try to "learn" about yourself.
I can't really recommend any book to help you. Join a book club on campus.

Having goals for the future really has helped me. I realized that college was not really a big deal and that like all things it too will pass. You have to remember that college is most people's peak in life. Don't make it become your peak, just another checkpoint on your journey to the top.

Love yourself OP.
>>7443517
I agree, read the stoics. Or if you are a Christian, get involved in a church or read the Bible. That really helped me during my freshman year.
>>
File: 1427848639148.jpg (84 KB, 650x963) Image search: [Google]
1427848639148.jpg
84 KB, 650x963
>>7443693
Replied to the wrong person, meant >>7443521
>>
>>7443607
"right" and "Wrong" based on general labels that mean nothing about the specificities of someone's view. Shut the fuck up. You and the rest of fox news go read a book written by someone who doesn't already think what you want to think.
>>
>>7442782
Not sure if this is lit enough, but maybe try Going All the Way by Dan Wakefield. The cover of the book suggests that it's very racy (and it does deal with sex, though not in a gratuitous or tasteless way), but it's actually a story of unlikely friendship and an awkward, recent college grad finding his way in the world. And it leaves you with a sense of hope at the end.
>>
fuck off to /b/ you retarded cunt
>>
>>7443517
>>
Try out the Transcendentalists
>>
>>7443607
>reading "conservative" as a political position instead of him living conservatively, as in simply and not doing outrageous activities.
>>
File: feels.jpg (114 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
114 KB, 500x750
>>7442782

get a good girlfriend you can share your feelings with OP, eventually you get used to being away from home and developing your own life.
>>
>>7444535
He can barely get out of his dorm or speak in class, let alone speak to other students on campus. How the fuck do you think hes going to get a girlfriend?
>>
>>7442782
The Recognitions
>>
File: kol.jpg (74 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
kol.jpg
74 KB, 500x667
>>7444537
>He can barely get out of his dorm or speak in class, let alone speak to other students on campus. How the fuck do you think hes going to get a girlfriend?

By getting out of his dorm room and speaking to people a bit every day, socializing with girls, doing stuff, getting a new hobby,etc

Not by hiding behind a book and doing the same thing he's always been doing. Imo to be honest family
>>
You should read something motivational that will give you a sense of purpose in life.

Mein Kampf and the Bible are foundational to a growing boy
>>
>>7444535
Sharing my (negative) feelings with gf was a mistake, do not recommend
>>
>>7444555
Nice trips and suggested readings family

But really I think the best thing he can do is watch something motivational. Slowly adjust out of his element.

Its not something an anon on 4chan can help with, you just have to one day say "GOD DAMN IT IM TIRED OF PEOPLE SEEING MY TRANSFORMERS TSHIRT AND THINKING THATS ALL I AM AS A FUCKING HUMAN BEING. IM GOING TO GO BUY SOME NICE PEARL SNAPS AND NEVER WEAR ANY TSHIRTS AGAIN."

You just gotta do it. Dont let your dreams be dreams. You'll always feel like you wasted college, thats inherent in the nostalga you WILL feel in the future, but it is up to you to decide WHAT you are sad you missed out on post graduation.
>>
>>7444569

what happened?
>>
>>7442782

I recommend poetry. Pick up a book of Frost or Ashbery, or look up "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry" by Whitman, that one was a big help for me. They're great lyric poets and they write intensely personal stuff; they really do want to reach out and touch you (not in that way--unless you're talking Whitman). Read them over and over, you'll find that these poems are alive.

I also recommend C.S. Lewis (work other than Narnia). He's helped me out a good deal.
>>
>>7444569

really depends how you share them, how you come off and what kind of person she is.
>>
>>7444607

Narnia is pretty comfy though and has a good message.
>>
>>7444602
She started to lose attraction to me
>>
>>7444628

maybe that was a good thing, for both of you.
>>
>>7444535

Definitely do no do this. OP needs to learn how to be self-reliant, not to put all of his emotions on some fickle girl.
>>
>>7442782

Read the Iliad and imagine living in a time when honor meant something.
>>
>>7444690
>OP needs to learn how to be self-reliant

being able to share your feelings and thoughts with others is part of being self-reliant.

He's homesick and alone by the sound of it, so becoming more introverted could actually harm him
>>
>>7444712
>being able to share your feelings and thoughts with others is part of being self-reliant.
no, that's literally the opposite. not that there's anything wrong with relying on others.
>>
>>7443845
>think's he's smart
>responds in earnest to trolls
>>
>>7444742

it seems paradoxical, but it's not .
insecure ppl have problems opening up to others and sharing feelings, due to anxiety, fear of judgment, etc
>>
OP I can empathize with you on being homesick. I would feel most homesick when I was alone in my room by myself. I didn't know anyone nor did I have any friends (thankfully my sister was nearby though).

I recommend going to your school library and leisure reading or studying for class. Try and get out of your comfort zone and room as much as possible. If you feel anxious or nervous about something, like going to a party for example, just do it anyway. Trust me on this.
>>
Suggestions/recs for people moving to a nation overseas away from family?
>>
>>7444809
Yikes that sounds terrifying.

I suggest Game of Thrones. Read a book that you ca n immerse yourself in.
>>
>/lit/ - my blog
read the sticky and go away
>>
>>7444811
no thanks :s
>>
>>7444817
Have you ever read GoT? I realize everyone here shits on it because it's popular and redditors like it, but it's actually a fun read.
>>
>>7444607
This. I read the shit out of Bloom's Best Poems of the English language in first year. Say what you will about his criticism, that's still a good anthology to get started with.

Also in a similar boat to OP. Moved away from a tight nuclear family and girlfriend of a few year. I was always aloof and introverted so I was slow to make friends. Things get better though OP. I find that I still am aloof and introverted but I make friends slowly and stick with them a long time. Hang in there.
>>
>>7444836
Actually, this is first time I've thought about this in years. I put so much mileage on that copy that I broke the spine. Instead of getting me a new one my dad got mine rebound in that nice library binding. I still have it, looking through it now with so much nostalgia.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.