[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /lit/. What's on your Christmas list. What should I get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1435720149035.jpg (2 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
1435720149035.jpg
2 MB, 3672x3024
Hi /lit/. What's on your Christmas list. What should I get an aspiring writer?
>seasons greetings from /fit/
>>
>>7441982
Mine is:
>The Divine Comedy
>Kafka short stories
>Paradise Lost
>Ulysses
>The Recognitions
>Some Pynchon novels I don't already own
>>
File: 1435719962043.jpg (1 MB, 4590x2174) Image search: [Google]
1435719962043.jpg
1 MB, 4590x2174
Bump. Help me out guys.
>>
Tristam Shandy, a backup hard-drive, and some records.

Best things for a writer are good pens and a good notebook. It's crucial to write down any observations or thought that may pop into your head before they lose their original wording or quality. Also, if you're into this sort of thing, a typewriter is a neat thing to have. I know that they're a hipster meme, but as long as you don't lug one to the nearest cafe they're fun to use and (in my experience) are an enjoyable alternative to handwriting or typing into Word and staring at a screen.

Happy Holidays, senpai.
>>
>>7442299
f a m becomes s e n p a i automatically. Huh. That'll teach me to use hip internet lingo.
>>
>>7442299
man, i found tristram shandy incomprehensible. i've tried a few times and it was just a wall
>>
>>7442305
A Finnegan's Wake kind of wall or a Ulysses kind of wall? I've never read anything of Tristam Shandy other than the Wiki page. I hope it's the latter kind of wall and not the former, because I can deal with a difficult read but I can't stand writing that comes across as nonsense.
>>
>>7442301
oh boy, try writing "t b h" senpai
>>
>>7442310
desu
>>
>>7442309
it was a neither kind of wall. it was more like "ha, this is all nonsense, everything is a digression and good luck plotting a storyline, by the way, the main character isnt even born until several chapters in!" kind of wall.
>>
>>7442299
I'd pick something besides Tristam Shandy desu. Maybe The Recognitions or The Cannibal, or a nice leatherbound of one of the classics.

As for nice pens and notebooks, definitely look into a nice fountain pen like Lamy Safari and a Rhodia Notebook. They are great, and very affordable.

My Christmas list:
The Seven Madmen by Robert Arlt
The Complete Stories of Clarice Lispector
The Collected Stories of Stefan Zweig
And Quiet Flows the Don by Mikhail Sholokhov
Today I Wrote Nothing: The Selected Writings of Daniil Kharms
>>
>>7442319
Sounds like another slog waiting to happen. Guess I'll go for something else. Thanks for the heads up.
>>
I read mythology in middle school when I would play age of mythology. Guess I need to read it again.
>>
>>7442329
Yeah, you're probably right.
I'll check out those names. Thanks.
>>
>>7442344
Age of mythology reporting in. Because of that game I got into mythology and history in general. Thanks for your tips guys keep them coming. I think I will try and go for the nice pen and journal, and maybe just a gift card that she can use to spend on books. I'm not sure what she'd like and it's tough to pick out books for someone else.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.