[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Joyce’s ‘Finnegans Wake’ Takes Off in China
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 15JOYCE-tmagArticle.jpg (46 KB, 592x395) Image search: [Google]
15JOYCE-tmagArticle.jpg
46 KB, 592x395
>The first, iconic sentence (“riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs”) takes up three lines in Chinese but requires 17 lines of footnotes. The challenge began with the very first word: “riverrun.”

>“I have to explain every word, as well as the cultural background and the alternative meanings,” she said.

>“For example ‘riverrun’ could be ‘the river ran,’ and ‘reverend,’ and the German word ‘Erinnerung,’ ” or memory. “Because this book is about the meaning of memory and time, and why. So even the first word in the book you have to explain.”

>“About 8 out of 10 of the words I have to write footnotes,” she said.

>But the book’s mind-boggling complexity — native English speakers struggle with it and many have wondered if it was Joyce’s joke — doesn’t explain its popularity in China, where the first print run of 8,000 copies sold out within two months. Some have pointed to the way Joyce exploded hierarchy and meaning by tearing up language itself in the text when it was first published in 1939. It took 73 years to reach China in Chinese, but its message has appeal here today.

>At the end of March, the private publisher, Ni Weiguo, who has previously published Plato in Chinese, issued another 5,000 copies.

>“They’ve all gone to bookshops,” said Mr. Ni in a telephone interview. “I didn’t publish this to make money. It’s exceeded my expectations.” Why did he publish it? “I published it to give people a great book.”

>Who is buying it? “Professors, people who love modern literature and writers, all kinds of well-known writers. Translators,” he said. Many love the way it lacks a coherent narrative and plot; that shocks readers here.

>“Chinese readers are used to story and plot,” Ms. Dai said. “They want to know why this book is so important, so they try to understand it. But it’s difficult and challenging.”

http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/joyces-finnegans-wake-takes-off-in-china/
>>
It's nice that I now understand the first word of the book, doubt I'll ever understand the rest.
>>
Finnegans Wake in Chinese
>>
>the first print run of 8,000 copies sold out within two months.
>they fell for the meme
>>
File: 1447050013821.jpg (132 KB, 830x698) Image search: [Google]
1447050013821.jpg
132 KB, 830x698
>>7441670
>finnegans wake translated
>>
Great job /lit/. Now we have to make sure they get translations of Infinite Jest and Gravity's Rainbow as well.
>>
>>7441670
> the first print run of 8,000 copies sold out within two months
Seems slightly sensationalist to describe this as 'taking off'. 8k copies over 2 months in a country of 1.35 billion...
Moreover, this is a perfect example of the >translations thing applied to prose. If ever a work of prose has been 'untranslatable' it would be Finnegans Wake-- can you even describe yourself as 'reading' the book when you have to read a footnote for eight out of every ten words?
>>
they probably think its a newer i ching or something
>>
It would be interesting to know how many of them read at least half. And the same for the people who bought it in English.
>>
Maybe it makes sense in Chinese
>>
>>7441846
i see what you mean
>>
To no surprise. The Chinese flock to everything that gives an outward impression of sophistication. That's why they whip their kids to play violin and piano, too.

>associate professor of Comparative Literature

I have not met a single non-autist who studied comparative literature
>>
>>7441846
》河水奔流,流过亚当和夏娃之家,从起伏的海岸,到凹进的港湾,又沿着宽阔回环的维柯路,将我们带回到霍斯堡和郊外

Well it's certainly easier reading. But, though I'm no expert in how Chinese lit sounds, it doesn't seem very poetic- which arguably makes it a bit pointless.
>>
File: Dfw.png (352 KB, 599x837) Image search: [Google]
Dfw.png
352 KB, 599x837
>>7441702
This
>>
>>7442195
>easy reading
nigga i only see a lot of lines and boxes
where are the fucking letters
>>
>>7441670
so much for white privilege
>>
>>7441872
they're probably buying the massive tome to belt their children with as their phonebooks are too cruel to use
>>
>>7441673
I'd recommend everyone spend a bit of time on this
http://www.finwake.com/1024chapter1/1024finn1.htm
>>
>>7442195
>凹
>回
>>
>takes off in China
>one in 70,000 people own it

pick one lad
>>
>>7442240
If you only take the people who can afford buying expensive literature into account, it's probably more than in your country.
>>
>>7442238
凹凸回路
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.