[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just need one good history book about the Middle East. Not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: image.gif (50 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
50 KB, 600x451
I just need one good history book about the Middle East.
Not about Islam, not about terrorism, just one good, comprehensive book about the history of the Middle East. Preferably not written by a Jew or an American either. Does such a thing exist?
>>
>>7441159
>one good, comprehensive book about the history of the Middle East

there is no such thing. the region is gigantic and a lot has happened. specify a time period and possibly a specific nation and we can help.
>>
File: 1430816350771.jpg (63 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1430816350771.jpg
63 KB, 960x720
>>7441159
Shouldnt this be posted on /his/?

I fear what may begin with this mere utterance
>>
Mansfield's A History of the Middle East
>>
>>7441163
>specify a time period and a nation
I really can't. I know next to nothing about the region except what I learn about Napoleons campaign in Egypt and that Persia was a thing that existed
>>
>>7441167
Yeah let's send the person to pol 2.0 instead of using our knowledge of written works in order to best guide our fellow traveller.
>>
>>7441170
If you want a famous classical Arab history of Middle East up until Abbasids, Meadows of Gold (beautiful man)
>>
>>7441182
Oh also al-Hamadani's Jami' at-Tawarikh
>>
>>7441187
And Ibn Khaldun's Muqaddimah
>>
If I were you I'd get a good scholastic copy of the Bible and Quran, (Fuck it, and Gilgamesh and maybe the Egyptian Book of the Dead as well), then increase your understanding from there. If you don't understand the belief systems of the people, you'll never why certain conflicts and events occurred.
>>
>>7441159
It's about the Arabs, not the Middle East, but look into Eugene Rogan "The Arabs: A History." Also, Hourani's "A History of the Arab Peoples."
>>
>>7441195
>learn theology to understand geopolitics

rofl

> Gilgamesh and maybe the Egyptian Book of the Dead as well
>read the illiad to understand mediterranean history

pseudo alert
>>
>>7441159
The other big one is Lewis, "The Middle East." But he doesn't pass your American/Jewish filter.
>>
>>7441205
No. God, why do people even think of Lewis.
>>
>>7441208
Why don't you like him?
>>
>>7441213
Read Said's Orientalism. And also Lewis' statements after 9/11.

One that doesn't pass through the filter is Goldschmidt's Concise History which is OK
>>
>>7441205
I hear it's great but also mostly about modern history
>>
>>7441230
It's because Lewis isn't that well-versed on the ME before Ottoman/Safavid Era.
>great
really? Who said so?
>>
>>7441218
I'm reading their exchange on the NY Review of Books now. Found an Atlantic article by Lewis on 9/11 too, I assume that's what you were referring to?
>>
>>7441240
Yes that. Also his writings on the Iraq War and on Iran's nuclear program.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB115500154638829470
http://www.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1033089910971012713
>>
>>7441245
>August 22 was when Iran was supposed to destroy the world
what the fuck
>>
>>7441195
This is just horrible advice
>>
>>7442201
exactly
>>
bump bump
>>
you can look this for starting in classical age 15-16th centuary. Islamic Gunpowder Empires: Ottomans, Safavids, and Mughals
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.