[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How quickly could I learn to read Portuguese if I'm fluent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: 1302-Fernando-Pessoa[1].jpg (156 KB, 919x959) Image search: [Google]
1302-Fernando-Pessoa[1].jpg
156 KB, 919x959
How quickly could I learn to read Portuguese if I'm fluent in Spanish?
>>
Also what are the best translations of Pessoa?
Spanish translations are acceptable if they're better than the English ones.
>>
File: 85368616_o.jpg (212 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
85368616_o.jpg
212 KB, 720x576
>>7440269
If you're fluent in spanish you should instantly get 70 % of Portuguese. All the people I know, myself included can understand Castillano perfectly fine being that Portuguese is our first language. There are grammatical variations but nothing to overwhelming. Most of the diferences are vocabulary but most times the words are a lot similar. In regards to your other question - não existe melhor tradução que a língua original !
>>
File: 1448165888113.jpg (131 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1448165888113.jpg
131 KB, 800x600
>>7440439
t. Alberto Barbosa
>>
Tenho certeza absoluta de que você é capaz de entender esta frase. Sério, aprender português vai ser fácil para você que já fala espanhol.
>>
>>7440521
You guys are right, took me a while, but I was able to get the gist of what you said.
>>
>>7440663
Só se preocupa em estudar o verdadeiro português, o brasileiro. Seu americano de merda.
>>
>>7441286

How different is brazilian and portuguese portuguese when it comes to the spoken language?

I can read portuguese and understand 75% or so of it but spoken portuguese is almost as hard as french.
>>
>>7442163
Different accent: Brazilians speak slower and pronounce the vowels a lot more. They also use the Gerund a lot more often than Portuguese people, and they tend to commonly use the 3rd person when talking to someone, while Portuguese people use the 2nd person.

Besides that, some vocabulary differences.
>>
>>7442253

Does brazilian portuguese conserve some older features that european portuguese doesnt? Like quebec french and french french?

Can you write me a sentence that would show the differences?
>>
>>7442285
>Does brazilian portuguese conserve some older features that european portuguese doesnt?
Brazilians use the nominal form "gerúndio" for verbs, which is out of use for the European Portuguese, and I believe it is out of fashion most places in Africa where they speak Portuguese (Brazil became independent way sooner, so it diverged a fair bit earlier).

European Portuguese prefers the nominal form "infinitivo".

Brazilian: Estou comendo.

Portuguese: Estou a comer.

Both are technically correct, still.
>>
>>7442285
Not really, I don't think so anyway. Portuguese is the one trying to become more like Brazilian, at least that's how I feel after the new accord.

Here's two sentences:

>You really have to stop eating that, it's bad for your health.

>PT: Tu tens mesmo que parar de comer isso, é mau para a tua a saúde.

>BR: Você tem mesmo que parar de comer isso, é mau para a sua saúde.

>I'm eating right now.

>PT: Estou a comer agora mesmo.

>BR: Estou comendo agora mesmo.

As you can see from the first sentence, BR uses the pronoun "você" and "sua" (3rd person possessive pronoun) to address someone, while PT most commonly uses "Tu" and "tua" (2nd person possessive pronoun). "Você" isn't wrong in PT, it's still a 2nd person pronoun, but it forces the verb to be conjugated in the 3rd person, and it's much more formal in PT than in BR.

Second example is just a case of how BR loves to use the Gerund. Again, second sentence isn't exactly wrong, but the PT one is a lot more common, they use the infinitive a lot.
>>
>>7442285
European Portuguese have mostly replaced the pronoun for the second plural "vós" with "vocês", which is a bastardization of "vossa mercê" ("your mercy/highness/fancydude"). "Vós" is still taught in school, though you'll never hear it outside a class room (well, maybe in some places up north and extremely stuffy texts).
>>
>>7442163
A brazilian can perfectly read a portuguese text and vice-versa (supposing said brazilian can read), but the pronunciation of words is different.

Also what >>7442253 and >>7442307 said
>>
>>7442328
>supposing said brazilian can read
:^)
>>
>>7442323
>and extremely stuffy texts
Do those even exist anymore? Even tu I just see and hear from people trying to write good lit and being retards who think 200+ old style is the way to go. And nobody in their right mind read them.
>>
Knowing spanish, the brazilian version "looks" more natural to me than the Pt one.

Is there a dialectum continuum between spain and portugal?

Spanish seems to be the only language that had the latin F transformed into an H, even if it was a more recent thing. "Hacer" "hierro" etc.
>>
>>7442352
>Even tu I just see and hear from people trying to write good lit
What? Tu is very common. In Portugal, at least.
>>
>>7440515
>>>/int/

>>7440269
Português is harder than spanish
>>
>>7442332
It *is* only a 1 in 10 chance.
>>
File: Ofelia.jpg (68 KB, 470x347) Image search: [Google]
Ofelia.jpg
68 KB, 470x347
ITT: Aula de Português do ensino secundário
> The feel
> Não ter aprendido decentemente as orações
> 8 anos depois ser argumentista
> mfw
>>
>The only interest in translations is when they are difficult, that is to say, either from one language into a widely different one, or of a very complicated poem, though into a closely allied language. There is no fun in translating between, say, Spanish and Portuguese. Anyone who can read one language can automatically read the other, so there seems also to be no use in translating. But to translate Shakespeare into one of the Latin languages would be an exhilarating task. I doubt whether it can be done into French; it will be difficult to do into Italian or Spanish; Portuguese, being the most pliant and complex of the Romance languages, could possibly admit the translation.
(The Selected Prose of Fernando Pessoa)

You can compare Spanish and Portuguese with this
>https://u.pomf.io/amwtij.pdf
>>
File: 1342706703554.png (27 KB, 620x743) Image search: [Google]
1342706703554.png
27 KB, 620x743
>>7442880
>mfw PTchan tá morto
>>
File: iss.jpg (1 MB, 827x1248) Image search: [Google]
iss.jpg
1 MB, 827x1248
>>7442443
Galician is somewhere between pt portuguese, br portuguese and spanish.

To all your lusophones out there, I strongly recommend this book (specially for other huestanese, since it's a brazilian edition). It's great to understand the beginnings of our language and literature.

To the tugas out there, am I (generally speaking) gud with Assírio & Alvim translations?
>>
>>7442916
The leader of the Portuguese Communist Party, Álvaro Cunhal, translated King Lear to Portuguese while in prison during the 50's, after being tortured and being in a 5 year solitary confinement sentence.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.