[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is original sin?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
Lay it on me, folks.
>>
Idolatry probably
>>
knowledge of good and evil
>>
The real Original Sin, that we know of, is Satan's rebellion against God.
>>
File: G_d isn't real.png (299 KB, 730x366) Image search: [Google]
G_d isn't real.png
299 KB, 730x366
The belief that humans should reproduce.

Prove me wrong.
>>
The inherent ignorance that comes from innocence and unknowing.
>>
>>7440221
yeah it's this you fucking edgelords.
i'm an atheist but satan's rebellion against god is still what is known as "original sin."
>>
>>7440206
isnt augustine black?
>>
>>7440223
Wasn't It the exact opposite that fucked Adam and Eve over?
>>
>>7440239
Not all Africans are black.
>>
>>7440233
>i'm an atheist
oh it shows.
>>
>>7440258
thanks pal, anything worth contributing to the discussion?
>>
>>7440206
>original
Actually there's nothing new under the sin.
>>
>>7440315
satans rebellion against god isn't whats known as "original sin" in theology even if it may be the first act against God chronologically, as it doesn't directly relate to human sin. The concept of Original sin is somewhat ambiguous but generally refers to the fall Of Adam and Eve from the Garden when they ate the Fruit of the Tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil.
>>
The fact that since you are born with a self, you have the capabilities to be selfish.
>>
>>7440252
no they were ignorant and didn't know any better. Snake wants me to eat the forbidden fruit? eh fuck it why not. my biddie wants me to try the fruit? eh fuck it who cares really. oh shit that was dumb of me.
>>
>>7440410

They knew better; it's mentioned explicitly if you look at the text:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+3
>>
>>7440418
You can tell a small child "fire is hot" all you want, they're still gonna touch it cause they don't know any better. And that's the implication, that the original sin is, and resulted from, general ignorance.
>>
>>7440460
Not that anon, but wouldn't this completely contradict the order to not eat the apple of "wisdom"?
>>
>>7440206
Free will.
>>
Disobedience to god.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 200x252) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 200x252
Propensity to evil
>>
It's a fiction designed so that the Church can cast a wide net—the widest net there is, in fact, since it means every person ever born or will be born.

It's a hospital telling everyone that they are born sick and cannot be well again until they take the first step (the first Sacrament) that binds their life to the institution.

It's a political and marketing ploy on par with "buy 7, the 8th free!" except the eighth doesn't happen till after you die, so there's no management to argue with and no refund coming.
>>
>>7440338
Yes, original sin refers to humanity. We are imperfect due to the original sin, Adam and Eve eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. We are like loaves of bread baked in a dented pan. We all have dents.
>>
>>7440662
>We are like loaves of bread baked in a dented pan. We all have dents.

If they can get you to believe that, pretty much anything could be next.
>>
>>7440661
both the tone of your edgy metaphor and your sense of humor suggest to me you should go back to reddit
>>
>>7440669
So useless a rebuttal it might as well not exist.
>>
Enjoying the penis.
>>
>Original Sin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Q3cp3cp88
>>
>>7440672
only a redditor would think rebutting a middle school "religions are greedy businesses" metaphor wouldn't be a waste of time
>>
>>7440669
>reddit
>>7440700
>redditor
>middle school

You're not an intellectual, and you have nothing to say here except boring but ready memes.
>>
>>7440672
>i am an idiot and these are my idiot views
>you're an idiot please leave
>that's not a rebuttal

why do idiots always think posts insulting them or telling them to leave are engaging them?
>>
>>7440706
you must be pretty proud of the immense contribution you made to a thread about the christian concept of original sin, again a shitty middle school metaphor about how religion is stupid that you probably saw on r/atheism
>>
>>7440550
I'm sure I could come up with some retarded mental gymnastics that would make it justified
>>
>>7440709
Because you are?

>>7440712
Still nothing.
>>
File: 1449613584646s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1449613584646s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>7440728
>Because you are?
>>
>>7440728
>Because you are?
Hows the 8th grade treating you, lad?

Good bait though.
>>
>>7440605
This
>>
>>7440206
The inherent tendency for humans to sin as a result of Adam's disobedience
>>
>>7440222
trips speak the truth
>>
The rejection of God's ultimate authority and appropriating to ourselves the judgment between good and evil. This lead to the estrangement between God and his creation and the essential incompleteness and depravity of our existence
>>
>>7440338
>>7440626
>>7442068
The only correct answers ITT. This is a well-established and uncontroversial bit of theology, why are so many people acting like it's an open-ended question? Adam and Eve's fall is the original sin, end of story.
>>
>>7440206

>tfw climate change due to our gluttony is going to cause the deluge
>>
>>7442192
?
>>
>>7440206

Original sin refers to the constant state of 'sin' we are all born into due to the actions of Adam (interestingly enough, while the bible recounts that Eve ate of the forbidden fruit first that she was 'greatly decieved' while Adam was not, suggesting that he is mostly responsible for the sin. This is backed up by the fact that no consequences were brought upon the pair until Adam, who was thought to have understood that eating the fruit was wrong but did it anyway, had eaten).
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.