[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, anyone here ever I Ching: book of changes? Thoughts? Gonna
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: ic hing.png (1 MB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
ic hing.png
1 MB, 640x960
So, anyone here ever I Ching: book of changes? Thoughts? Gonna get it tomorrow.

>pic related
>>
It's alright, if you don't read it in chinese you're going to miss a lot of the jokes and puns. The book is just a compilation of ancient memes and times people got trolled but some dank daoists. Taoism was the /b/ of ancient china
>>
I used to be really into it until I realized that it was doing more harm than good in terms of my psychological health.
>>
>>7439982
damn
tell me, if you may, how many pages it had +-? I found a version but not quite sure it is right
>>
>>7439994
there is no "right" translation of chinese. There are simply authors certain people prefer and ones they don't prefer. If you're serious about the book it's best to read a variety of translations
>>
>>7439994
I never had a book so I couldn't tell you how many pages. But a couple of good websites were valuable for interpreting the hexagrams

http://www.iching123.com/
http://www.jamesdekorne.com/GBCh/hex1.htm <--- this guys a little intense. He's really into "The Work" of fulfilling the great Self
>>
>>7440001
but about the number of pages...isn't there a number in which most versions would be kind of near?
>>
>>7440011
Why are you so interested in the number of pages? If I had to guess I'd say probably 200 in a hard cover book
>>
>>7440016
Just because I've found versions with 50, 150, 200, 800 pages
>>
>>7440055
If you just have the text for each hexagram, it will be 50 pages. If you have several pages of commentary for each line of each stanza of each hexagram, it will be 800 pages.

get the yellow copy with a grey dust jacket, it's the best if you actually want to cast coins and make readings while also studying the work.
>>
>>7440074
ok, thanks

>>7440007
also, ty alot
>>
>>7439915
Hey m8. Yijing is super sweet. I've studied it in English and Chinese. What do you want to use it for? It's not actually a book that you can read. If you're interested in using it in a divinatory capacity, the most useful book I've found is Jou Tsung Hwa's Tao of I Ching: Way to Divination.

The Walker translation (the pic you posted) is pretty meh. And the Wilhelm translation, while very interesting, is explicitly jungian.

But the idea that there exists a "straight up" interpretation is a fiction. Everyone is approaching it from whatever angle they're coming from. Even in Chinese it's super opaque. People have been arguing over this text for three thousand years (its oldest strata legitimately go back into the Western Zhou, ca. 1,000 BCE).

If you're interested in its reception history Rich Smith's Fathoming the Cosmos: The Yijing and its Evolution in China is super interesting, if a bit dense.
>>
stupid question to bump the thread:
is it pronounced ee-ching (like the letter "e") or eye-ching (like the eye in your face).
>>
>>7443049
ee like the letter "e"

And the "ching" part is pronounced more like "jing," more like a "j" sound. At least in contemporary Mandarin.
>>
>>7443076
actually more like "jeeng"
>>
Semi-related: Is the Stephen Mitchell translation of the Tao Te Ching as bad as a few posters on /lit/ make out?

It reads very well and I don't plan on learning classical Chinese.
>>
>>7439915
Good luck, A.non. Good luck getting the films to the man in the high castle.
>>
>>7439915
>>7439982
So what is it actually about?
>>
>>7443223

kek
>>
>>7443232
Bumping for this.
>>
>>7443215
Bumping for answers
>>
File: 405px-King_Wen_(I_Ching).png (10 KB, 405x403) Image search: [Google]
405px-King_Wen_(I_Ching).png
10 KB, 405x403
>>7442027
thanks m8, OP here, will look up your suggestions. And the pic is a random one I picked up for the thread.
>>7443232
>>7445225

Its considered one of the oldest books ever, some say its from like, 5000 before Christ, though it is said to be supplemented by other authors through time. It is used as oracle or a book for those seeking knowledge, some say its even philosophy.

>pic related is what the texts looks like, thus why the guy say, a straight translation is fiction, therenare just many interpretations.
>>
>>7445225
>>7443232
>>7445321

OP here again, complementing, there are some varieties of it, like The I Ching of Love (which, once again is just another interpratation) and some stuff like that used as guide and shit
>>
>not skipping all the spooky shit and reading Yang Chu's Garden of Pleasure
>>
>>7445336
Nothing spooky about the yijing m8. It predates every school of Chinese philosophy, and so though it's claimed by both the Daoists and Confucians, it's really neither.

The main reason it became so central to Chinese culture was because of Qin shi huangdi's burning of the books and burying of the scholars. The only genres of literature he spared the flame here agricultural manuals and divinatory texts. Hence the preservation of the Yijing.

Even the name 易經 bespeaks the lack of spookiness here. The normal interpretation of the Yi 易 is that it is a combination of sun 日 over moon 月. But modern scholars tend to view it more along the lines of the 易 from 容易, which means "easy." In this reading the Yijing was basically an ancient "divination for dummies."
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.