[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suicide is often looked down apon as selfish, stupid and careless
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 380x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 380x375
Suicide is often looked down apon as selfish, stupid and careless -- but should someone have the right to end their own personal life, without the judgement of others?

Why is suicide so often romanticised, particularly by writers and artists who partake in other mediums of personal expression?

Have you ever had anyone close to you commit suicide? Did it change you in any way?
>>
Just do it.
>>
The argument that suicide is selfish is always pretty funny, because they're essentially saying "you should endure for MY benefit."
>>
>>7439530
>but should someone have the right to end their own personal life

Of course.

>without the judgement of others?

I'm not sure 'rights' can even be extended to include such a thing. All you can do is try to sway people toward a different view on suicide, but you cannot restrict how they are going to react.

>Have you ever had anyone close to you commit suicide?

Yep.

>Did it change you in any way?

Not really, but I was already 'pro-suicide' by then.
>>
Fuck does anyone else hate the "suicide is so selfish but don't kill yourself because it would make me sad" argument? I'm not even suicidal anymore and thinking about that makes me want to off myself out of spite.
>>
>>7439530
>he hasn't read Aurelius or The Schope
>>
>>7439553
What this post says.
>>
>>7439530
Up until I was 18 years old I hadn't actually known anyone who died. Not even a grandparent or a pet, so death, as a whole was so forign to me.

I grew up in a Christian home, so we were always taught how 'selfish' suicide was.

One day I went to school, and there was an announcement saying that all classes were canceled and we were told to gather in the auditorium.

Turns out one of the guys in our year level had hung himself the night before. He was always a really nice guy, and no one could believe it. It just didn't seem real. A bunch of us even thought it was some sort of prank, and I remember someone posting 'this better be a fucking joke' on his MySpace page.

It will forever change my view on suicide. I still think about him every so often, and even though 5 years have passed it still makes me incredibly sad.

He was a good person, and he touched a lot of lives. I'm not sure we'll ever know exactly what was going through his head that night, but that's okay.
>>
>>7439530

Rights based language is always tricky. I don't know that one can say "right" at this point in time without presuming some philosophical system of Enlightenment ideal of government/society.

That a person has the ability to kill themselves is clear. That a person may be judged for leaving behind sad loved ones, children, a wife, etc, is obvious. It is my opinion that suicide is selfish.

Suicide is romanticized because of modernist notions of material existence, which has made man a body with the insignificant and pesky property of having consciousness. Suicide is seen therefore as a way out of this predicament, a kind thumbing of the nose at the weird and unruly cosmos that has spit man out of snot and mud for no reason.

I have never considered suicide. I had an uncle commit suicide: he was survived by a wife, daughter and son. The son was 15 and this single event probably destroyed his life.

I have sympathy for the depressed, the suffering, the miserable. Suicide represents a failure of society and of the individual who commits it. For society it is a double-failure: on the one hand the failure of placing impossible demands on individuals, and on the other the failure to let him have his break and the love and care he needed.

It is a sad thing. Like murder, the effects linger long after the act. Nobody wins.
>>
>>7439623
pathetic desu
>>
>>7439554
>>7439551
>>7439530

This is an Ayn Rand-tier argument.

It's not someone's benefit you endure for. Don't mistake benefit for not-harm. Essentially the difference between positive and negative rights.

The phrasing of it being "selfish" is a bit wrong, I'll admit. But...the people who say that it's "selfish" simply don't want to suffer, in the same way that you "the suicidal" don't want to suffer. They just use the word selfish to denote some sort of negative feeling they can't exactly ascribe to anything more specific.
>>
>>7439627
Well spoken, friend.
>>
>>7439653
You're not explaining yourself well at all. Can you try again?
>>
>>7439530
I never really got why people keep themselves alive for other people if they want to commit suicide.

You can't feel guilt, or anything really, when you're dead so who fucking cares?
>>
>>7439706

The point isn't to guilt trip the suicidal person out of committing suicide. They're already eaten up with guilt and pain. It's just a plain fact that your loved ones will suffer by your death. If suicide is a decision (it is) then this should be factored in.

Most of all people who are suicidal need help in a massive way. They need everyone to pull together for their sake. They don't need anti-depressants and therapy, necessarily, though these may help their situation. Everyone ought to see that kind of suffering and forgive everything. Boss should let you have 6 months off work, and should give you a pay advance if he can afford it. Your church should make your family big meals while you recover from your alcoholism or your drug addiction. Your extended family should stop everything they're doing and make helping you a priority. But it's practically pie in the sky. The fact is that our idiotic society won't allow us to exercise love without sacrificing the stability of our "life" (our job, schedule or whatever).
>>
>>7439722
>Most of all people who are suicidal need help in a massive way.

lol no they don't. It's like arguing that you should sit through a bad movie just because it already started and that anyone who wants to walk out needs help. Look man, the movie isn't worth watching, you walk the fuck out. No amount of "help" will suddenly make the movie good.

Everything from
>Everyone ought to see that kind of suffering and forgive everything. Boss should let you have 6 months off work
is so ridiculous it looks like a joke or a parody, so I won't address it.
>>
>>7439530
if hedonism is the amelioration of discomfort, then suicide could be regarded as the ultimate hedonistic act and therefore categorically selfish. However personally I stand by epicureanism so I support the right to take one's own life
>>
>>7439530
I had a friend who lit himself on fire in a parking lot in my hometown. Feels were had.
>>
>>7439746

If suicide appears like a good idea to you then you are suffering from intense distress or an incorrect worldview. I don't expect you to agree with that but this is my impression. As a decidedly anti-modernist individual who believes metaphysical materialism is a crooked view of the world and that human thought in the west took a turn for the worst beginning in the 17th century and reaching levels of total insanity by the 20th, I'm used to people not agreeing with me.
>>
>>7439766
of all the painless,easy ways to die he chose lighting himself on fire?
>>
>>7439770
>If suicide appears like a good idea to you then you are suffering from intense distress or an incorrect worldview
That's a funny way to say "I'm just going to dismiss anyone who disagrees with me"
>>
>>7439772
Don't do drugs.
>>
>>7439776

It only says what it says. I'm open minded and have very few concrete positions. One is that individual persons do not need to live a life of depression, anxiety, alcoholism, self-hatred, mental chaos and delusion. Another is that society makes these things much more prevalent than they need to be. Finally, I'm pragmatic about the limitations of dialogue, especially here.
>>
File: CIr7TvC.jpg (52 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
CIr7TvC.jpg
52 KB, 640x640
>>7439770
>I'm used to people not agreeing with me.

Then you are suffering from an incorrect worldview. See how easy this is?

Pic related. It's you.
>>
>>7439770
>incorrect worldview

Haha, what the fuck?
>>
>>7439802

You are given a great deal of space to explain yourself or ask for an explanation... you've elected to do it this way why?
>>
>>7439576
let's not forget that Epictetus gave his students the go ahead to kill themselves, and even reminded them that it was always an option when they were being lil bitches
>>
If you commit suicide you dpn't give a fuck what those people think. If you do then you're doing it for selfish reasons.

Being selfish even in death, holy fuck you have to be a garbage human being to do that.
>>
>>7439827
because the phrase is
>incorrect worldview
is so absurd that that was the only way he could possibly respond
>>
>>7439627
I'm glad people like you browse /lit/. It's nice to see an outlook that isn't childish defeatism.
>>
>>7439623
>5 years ago
>MySpace
Guy was a fucking loser.
>>
>>7439530
You have the right to end your life, but you can't stop people from passing judgement on what you do.
I got close to suicide. All it did to change me was to take life one day at a time and to appreciate the small stuff more.
>>
they should just change the name of /lit/ to
>/lit/ - teenage angst and wikipedia summaries.

If everyone who threatened suicide on /lit/ actually had the balls to do it the number of neets and baristas would go down at least 30%
>>
I use to think that we have all the eternity to don't existe. why we'll die this little faster?

and, indeed, we idealize suicide a lot. it is a romantic heritage. In the ultra-romantic period was in fashion to kill yourself (after reading goethe or something).
nevertheless, I do like suicide poems and stuff.
>>
>>7440110
Pretty much ya. They bitch and moan that people think suicide is selfish without realizing how hypocritical it is to want people to view it as not selfish when you plan on leaving existence any way.

"I want to die because the world sucks but pls don't think I'm selfish!"

retarded.
>>
>>7440080
>defeatism
>childish
Only children haven't seen enough of life to give up on it.
>>
>>7439770
>incorrect worldview
You're the one who's wrong here, Schopenhauer was right.
>>
>>7440137
Ya I'm sure most of /lit/ has seen everything the world has to offer good and bad, right?
>>
>>7440158
Life is vulgar, there is little good in the world.
>>
>>7440133
I honestly didn't even read that much of the OP I just know we have a thread about suicide every hour and all these teenagers "wax philosophical" about how noble they are for bearing the burden of ennui for so long and how no one understands them. No one mentions a fucking book.
>>
>>7440164
Go kill yourself then.
>>
obligatory
>I get it, but then again, maybe I don’t.

>When someone negates their existence, they cancel themselves out in my mind. I have many records, books and films featuring people who have taken their own lives, and I regard them all with a bit of disdain. When someone commits this act, he or she is out of my analog world. I know they existed, yet they have nullified their existence because they willfully removed themselves from life. They were real but now they are not.

>I no longer take this person seriously. I may be able to appreciate what he or she did artistically but it’s impossible to feel bad for them. Their life wasn’t cut short — it was purposely abandoned. It’s hard to feel bad when the person did what they wanted to. It sucks they are gone, of course, but it’s the decision they made. I have to respect it and move on.

>A few years ago, a guy I’d known for many years hanged himself in a basement. Weeks later, I went to the spot and picked up bits of plastic coating from the cord he used, which were on the floor after he was cut down. I liked the guy, but all I could think of then is all I can think of now — the drawings his kids had made that were pasted up on the walls of his kitchen.

>Almost 40,000 people a year kill themselves in America, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In my opinion, that is 40,000 people who blew it.

>Fuck suicide. Life isn’t anything but what you make it. For all the people who walked from the grocery store back to their house, only to be met by a robber who shot them in the head for nothing — you gotta hang in there.

>I have life by the neck and drag it along. Rarely does it move fast enough. Raw Power forever.
>>
>>7440173
Reported to the FBI
>>
I experienced a psychotic break from reality one time and after that I totally understand why some people off themselves.
>>
>>7440187
My biggest fear is being put into a position where I want to kill myself out of sheer horror of the world and not being able to change my world view because I am too negative a person.

I literally get depressed about being afraid of being depressed.

I also have OCD and an anxiety disorder though...

fuck me I got to get more sleep and eat properly again before I go crazy.
>>
>>7440197
Got some details on that? Sounds interesting.
>>
File: booze.jpg (659 KB, 1600x1064) Image search: [Google]
booze.jpg
659 KB, 1600x1064
>Fun fact:

There is a high rate of suicide in chronic alcoholics, which increases the longer a person drinks. Approximately 3–15 percent of alcoholics commit suicide,[149] and research has found that over 50 percent of all suicides are associated with alcohol or drug dependence. This is believed to be due to alcohol causing physiological distortion of brain chemistry, as well as social isolation. Suicide is also very common in adolescent alcohol abusers, with 25 percent of suicides in adolescents being related to alcohol abuse
>>
>>7440214
>Sounds interesting.
it really doesn't
>>
>>7440214
>>>/x/
>>
Suicide is far too general of a category to make universal moral statements about. I blame Kant and popular stupidity equally for the commonality of universalized prejudice, such as prejudice for and against suicide.

Think how if the tendency to universalize common prejudices into categorical imperative can bring harm against a family. A mother has a fatal cancer, and will spend the rest of her life in pain. But the world has told us suicide is always wrong. So what happens when a human self-destructs in due to persistent immense pain, far beyond the scope of the sorrow and pity of family members? In this situation, the mother kills herself in complete secrecy, for "farewell" would thwart the end to her pain. So in secretly killing herself she hurts herself more because there is irrational guilt, and she hurts her children and husband by depriving them of closure, of goodbye, and leaves them in a neglected state.

>>7440110
Nobody threatened suicide in this thread, stop talking out of your ass.
>>
>>7440214
I had a bad acid trip which left me completely dissociated from "my life", if that makes any sense. Everything became meaningless dull patterns. Goals and desires evaporated. My friends and family became just objects. I felt like an observer, going about daily tasks imprisoned inside my head looking out. I thought about killing myself several times.
>>
I have sort of taken it upon myself to commit a different sort of suicide. I am going to kill my sense of individual consciousness by immersing myself in neuroscience
>>
>>7440247

You're bogus comprehension and abuse of the word "universal" indicate you've never read or thought about Kant.
>>
>>7440254
How did you pull through, if you did that is?
>>
>>7440279
I probably shouldn't have namedropped him. I probably meant something else. I haven't read him, I have to admit.
I'll concede here.
>>
>>7440290
you could say you were "talking out your ass"
>>
>>7440290
Furthermore, I cannot claim to understand categorical imperative. What I guess I'm trying to say is that most people who I've heard talk about suicide put their emotions and opinions often act like what is behind their stance on suicide is based on some sort categorical imperative, just knowing what those words mean literally.
>>
>>7440290

Good on ya for owning it. It's not a big deal. I had the same bad habit for many years. In the last few years I've come to really respect scholarship as a virtue and the flip side of that is hating fake knowledge (it just spreads information and not knowing things isn't a big deal).
>>
>>7440309

misinformation*
>>
>>7440304
>I cannot claim to understand categorical imperative.
I'm gonna redpill ya right quick you can thank me later

the categorical imperative is just "it's wrong to do X because what if everybody did X?"
>>
>>7440301
Based on the lack of arguments surrounding both of your posts, and the fashion in which you vaguely, insubstantially insult without saying anything useful, as is common of 4chan and pseudointellectuals in general, I'd like you to convince me why I'm such an idiot.
>>
>>7440288
Never got fully back to normal but I've gradually adapted. It's been long enough though that I only vaguely remember the really bad times.
>>
>but should someone have the right to end their own personal life, without the judgement of others?
Absolutely not. Everyone has the right to their own life, and to end it if they wish, but god knows no one has any right to do anything without judgement of others.
>>
>>7440092
Turns out it happened in 2008.
I'm so fucking dense
>>
>>7440309
I'd like to add that though I haven't read Kant, I've thought extensively about what I've read about Kant.
>>
>>7440110
Tfw I was a barista in the height of 17 y.o angst.

Oh god, kill me
>>
>>7440332
that guy wasn't me but lets just go over your conduct in this thread
>talks about a philosopher you've never read in relation with a topic you admit you don't understand
>types redundantly and pretentiously like a 12 year old who was recently gifted a thesaurus and wants to get every penny out of it.
also you criticize him for point out that this thread is posted every day with almost no intelligent insights and then you contribute no intelligent insights except "LOL it depends on the situation" an utterly banal epiphany not worth the time it took you to type it.
https://warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text=suicide&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post
>>
>>7439627
My father committed suicide when I was 15. He had bipolar disorder. My family was pretty dysfunctional growing up, and I was a moody adolescent. His suicide note basically said that he did it for us.

At the time, it really did feel like it destroyed my life. I withdrew, stopped going to school, became NEET, slept most of the days away. It wasn't a good time in my life. Long story short, with the help of a girl, I managed to turn it around, went to college, and I live a normal life.

I don't know if it was really the right decision on his part, and I don't know if my life would be better today if he hadn't done it. But I'm fairly satisfied with how it turned out. And I don't blame him for making the decision for himself. He probably would never have leveled out the turmoil of his life, and he probably would never have been happy. So if it's a selfish decision, it's one I'm okay with every person making for themselves.
>>
>>7440504
>Waa waa, me, my life, me, I, waa.

Suck it up, you goddamn baby. No wonder your dad killed himself.
>>
>>7440504
dude if i was your dad idve bit it by now too
>>
Why bother killing yourself you're just going to be born again. No escape, lads
>>
>>7440504
nice blog post. Tell me where I can subscribe to suck your dick you fucking fag.
>>
>>7440504

thanks for sharing and sorry about the trolls. Congrats on turning yourself around and not harboring ill will after all that happened. It's sad to know people feel so broken that dying seems easier than fixing, but it's good to know there's hope for people in such rough circumstances as yours. Love is incredibly redemptive isn't it?
>>
>>7440599
If love is redemptive you're doing it wrong
>>
File: 1446528847527.jpg (168 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
1446528847527.jpg
168 KB, 375x500
>>7439722
anit-depressants and therapy are exactly what they need. "they need everyone to pull together for their sake" are you fucking kidding me anon, first of all you should kill yourself for writing that and second that's a pretty shit solution since the world is always going to be tearing people down and at some point it is up to that person to have the resilience and life-positive habits and thought processes to stay afloat- which is where the antidepressants and therapy come in.
>>
File: howwww deeeeeeeeeeee.jpg (19 KB, 237x305) Image search: [Google]
howwww deeeeeeeeeeee.jpg
19 KB, 237x305
>>7439530

It's fucked up but nowadays I am happy if all they do is kill themselves and not everyone around them first.
>>
>>7440542
le time is a strange loop meme. Even if you experience everything in your life perpetuum ad infanitum, you only feel it once in any given iteration
>>
>>7439653
>This is an Ayn Rand-tier argument

then your "argument" was the scribbling of a two year old.
>>
is being a virgin of 25 years a good enough reason to kill yourself?
>>
>>7441108
Nah. Being a virgin has nothing to do with quality or value of one's life, unless you attach enormous significance to it, which is just stupid.
>>
>>7441113
>this is what virgins like me actually believe
>>
>>7441113
well its not the social pressure but I subscribe to hedonism. It creates a cognitive dissonance
>>
>>7441117
Do you understand what hedonism actually is and not the pleb interpretation of the word?
>>
>>7441120
maybe not.
>>
>>7441123
Well when plebs say hedonism they're actually thinking of sybaritism
>>
>>7441126
I would rather a working definition for hedonism famiglia. I am probably really just an epicurean. My balls are blue as fuck, this is real tangible discomfort
>>
File: fgdd.jpg (94 KB, 434x640) Image search: [Google]
fgdd.jpg
94 KB, 434x640
>>7441084
>you only feel it once in any given iteration
your point? and i never mentioned repeating the same life. i was pointing out the fact that one is doomed to be apart of this universe so you may as well ride this life out because you're not going to be making any progress either way.
>>
>>7441138
I think you probably know if you know who Epicurus is. Basically laymen definition of hedonism is like sybaritism--all out luxury, drinking, sex, etc. But hedonism is about maximizing pleasure so they think about consequences as well and aren't these all-out YOLO types
>>
>>7441145
but I can dematerialize into some non-sentient state no longer beleaguered by a consciousness fraught with anxieties and vexations. Its pretty simple family
>>
>>7441150
>I think you probably know if you know who Epicurus is.

you really don't, you know an outdated use of the word hedonism. these days it's a subset of utilitarianism.

also epicurus was a pleb at hedonism. cyrenaic school woo.
>>
>>7441156
we'll see about that, friendo. you'll come crawling back to consciousness before you know it
>>
File: 1447469704074.jpg (30 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1447469704074.jpg
30 KB, 640x640
>>7441156
you will only ever know the high tonalities of your soul!
>>
>>7439623
I think you're really missing out on a whole dimension of thought re: that guy here.
>>
I think suicide is always justified with the exception of having children. Putting people into a world which you can't bear and then abandoning them is the worst thing you can do.
>>
tbqh the only reason I haven't killed myself is because I know it would destroy my family
>>
>>7441157
Epicurus' notion of the good life has probably been the closest to any (soft) scientific findings on happiness though.
>>
File: 1449027223529.jpg (72 KB, 651x768) Image search: [Google]
1449027223529.jpg
72 KB, 651x768
>>7441200
If they really loved you, they wouldn't make you carry a heavy burden just for their sakes.
>>
>>7441200
Have you ever considered that some part of you doesn't want to die and that you use your ties to your family as a convenient way to deal with the cognitive dissonance of somehow wanting to die but continuing to go on living?

I feel like that's how it was for me for a long time.
>>
>>7439627
>It is a sad thing. Like murder, the effects linger long after the act. Nobody wins.
I feel like it is society, then, who needs to realize that the man has merely exempt himself from their clutch, and has chosen himself to win.

Suicide is 'selfish' in that society demands its dues.
Even after one is dead, society says "hey that's bullshit, SELFISH YOU OWE US SO MUCH MORE"
That is the reason suicide is considered selfish.
>>
File: fb.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1380) Image search: [Google]
fb.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1380
ITT: people afraid of pain, anguish, regret, emptiness, purposelessness, boredom, failure, void, horror and death: the most exquisite and ripe fruits life has to offer
>>
>>7441215
Hah. I can picture widows counting up "lost wages" like a trial lawyer.

"Goddamn it, John. You coulda made me over a million in 20 years. I hate you, you selfish bastard."
>>
>>7441206
they don't know
>>
File: you are garbage.png (54 KB, 540x239) Image search: [Google]
you are garbage.png
54 KB, 540x239
>>7441219
Two major mistakes:

(1) advocates of suicide or those who say it ought to be perfectly acceptable are not necessarily suicidal themselves; they simply see that some people are suffering and it ought to be socially acceptable for them to opt out.

(2) people who want to die either don't have access to these "exquisite and ripe fruits" you wax gay about or they're just not as remarkable to the suicidal as they are to you. Some people go apeshit about crap others find totally boring, as I'm sure you've noticed when you told others about some "awesome" one-liner you posted on 4chan.
>>
Are there really people commenting ITT that haven't suffered depression that is
1) PROTRACTED (2+ years)
2) INTENSE (thoughts taking up several hours a day about how life is unbearable
3) RECURRING (pops back up after it has left
just lawl, famiy. Pls don't think a word you say on this topic is relevant unless you understand living life in this way
>>
>>7441232
You're like the women who say men cannot have an opinion on abortion.

Stupid, in a word.
>>
>>7441231
he's being sarcastic in all probability, you tremendous autist
>>
>>7439553
Nice.
>>
>>7441241
>you tremendous autist

Was that really necessary?
>>
>>7439530
That's just kind of an American thing.
In other countries, like Japan and Germany, there are honorable forms of suicide.
>>
>>7441200
also I think there will be some wars coming up so I can still suicide in a way that is less traumatic
>>
File: ffddd.jpg (34 KB, 373x478) Image search: [Google]
ffddd.jpg
34 KB, 373x478
>>7441231
it was at least two lines thank you

1) utilitarian opportunism - people don't want to look after these people and address the suffering. easy solution, working life can continue on merrily into the happy sunset
2) they can still seek out the fruits. there is still time. the fear is there though you can't refute that. especially in those who are undecided. they're afraid all round. i should have extended this list to include happiness, love, life as that's what they're afraid of too. and if they were so apathetic as you claim them to be then why would they care if they lived or died? there's no such thing as complete and utter apathy outside of a brain-eating illness. which in that case they won't think twice!
>>
>>7441274
I sincerely hope this wasn't drawn fr fetishistic purposes
>>
>>7439627
good post, anon.
>>
Suicide is often the attempt to hurt others.
>>
>>7441334
Yeah right.
>>
File: whore.jpg (58 KB, 480x648) Image search: [Google]
whore.jpg
58 KB, 480x648
>someone who commits suicide
>>
>>7441334
it can be but this thought is the epitome of narcissism

you probably do think that song was about you
>>
>>7441379
suicide is the epitome of narcissism
>>
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7441356
>>7441396

this is a joke, right? whose attention is the suicide supposed to get? maybe people who talk about it are, but commit? You are dead, how the fuck are you supposed to receive the attention in death? You are a stupid person
>>
>>7441411
DFW got tons of attention for his suicide. He still gets it here, the last place still talking about him.
>>
>>7441415
and yet he cant enjoy it. you know why? Because he is fucking dead!
>>
>>7441396
lol 0/10
>>
>>7441419
Nobody said he had to enjoy it.

Are you the OP in the Neil Postman thread, btw?
>>
File: 1449121275362s.jpg (4 KB, 124x125) Image search: [Google]
1449121275362s.jpg
4 KB, 124x125
>>7441415
>the last place still talking about him
>>
>>7439788
>if enough people are against me it means I'm wrong

I don't know about the worldview but your logic is utter shit.
>>
>>7441424
Did you even read the post he's responding to? He's obviously mocking someone else's logic.
>>
>>7441411
Almost 100% of Earth's population would say they want to be remembered after they're dead, even though they would be dead and couldn't possibly know about it, or feel any pleasure from this fact.

Same thing with suicide. Once they're dead, they won't care, but it doesn't stop them, while they're still alive, from fantasizing about all the fame they would get post mortem. I'm not saying it's logical, but most suicidal people aren't very right in the head so it makes sense for them, which is why they do it.
>>
>>7441430
i think a dominant factor is feeling genuinely dissatisfied with life. It is sad they waste tuitions on people like you
>>
>>7441430
hey everyone we got freud over here

he figured out the psychology of the suicide and he's sharing it with us instead of writing the next Studies on Hysteria

we're so lucky
>>
>>7441439
It's been figured out for a long time.
>>
>>7441443
oh, "been figured out"? not by you, huh?

who would have guessed that you're actually some random armchair psychologist who has no idea what he's talking about.

it doesn't show anon. not a bit.
>>
File: spo1448601172975s.jpg (10 KB, 222x225) Image search: [Google]
spo1448601172975s.jpg
10 KB, 222x225
“When I die, and if I have to arrange it myself, I will consult nobody,and do it unassisted if I can. I entertain not a flicker of moral or practical doubt on the subject, and never have. Speaking only for myself — in such matters one should never judge for others — if Nature does not do the job in a timely manner I shall consider it a duty to take matters into my own hands.

I can’t tell you how simple I find these arguments: so simple that I’ve hardly bothered to write about the issue. Suicide is the greatest of human freedoms, underwriting all the others, for it gives us the possibility of defying every thing and every one there is. The possibility of suicide is what makes life voluntary and each new day an act of will. No wonder the faith community gnash their teeth at suicide. God Himself, if He existed, would gnash His teeth at suicide: the supreme act of defiance, the final rasberry. The knowledge that I’m here by choice, that every breath I take I take by choice, injects into my soul a transcendent joy”

[....]

“Is suicide not the greatest of all tokens of the primacy of the human will ? How shall a man ever demonstrate with more finality that he is the captain of his soul, the master of his ship, than by taking it by his own choice on to the rocks ? Self-inflicted death is the ultimate defiance, the one freedom in your life and mine which nothing and nobody -- not even God -- can take away…. I have never contemplated suicide and hope I never shall. But to know that I can — to know that tomorrow I too could make that splendid, terrible two-fingered gesture to creation itself is more than life-enhancing: it is sublime”
>>
>>7441219
Edgy
>>
I'll start this with a quote from Seneca the Younger:

"To such a life, as you are aware, one should not always cling. For mere living is not a good, but living well. Accordingly, the wise man will live as long as he ought, not as long as he can."

Suicide is one of the most difficult decisions one can make. I don't cosider it selfish or stupid at all. Of course, I'm not talking about people that kill themselves like that bitch that drank the bleach. No. Sometimes, you just no longer feel the need to live, or the joy of living. It is not fear, it's just that you feel there is nothing else worth living for, and therefore you should stop living. At least that has been for me. I've unsuccessfully tried to kill myself 4 times, and I like how it feels afterwards, it feels romantic and artistic in a way.

As I was saying, suicide is the hardest decision. You need to have the balls to take your own life. Who the hell cares if other people is left behind?

Is it good? No, but I respect and understand if someone wants to kill himself.

Also, I probably didn't write anything good here, because it's 4 AM and I'm almost falling asleep... Good thread.
>>
>>7441473
how bad is your shit fucked up?
>>
>>7441473
>I've unsuccessfully tried to kill myself 4 times, and I like how it feels afterwards, it feels romantic and artistic in a way.
are you a girl?
>>
>>7441488
JUST
>>
>>7441492
according to that statement and statistcs on suicide this is likely true.
>>
>>7441488
kinda lol.

>no money for college
>no family
>lost the love of my life 2 times
>lost the will to do the things that im good at (architecture and literature)
>addicted to tobacco

and some other things you guys might consider faggotry
>>
>>7441473
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>7441499
I wish I'd lose the will to do the things I'm good at already, because that would mean I had nothing left to live for, which in turn would mean I could kill myself without any reasons left not to.
>>
To forbid one from committing suicide is to infringe on one's freedom, lads
>>
My view is that it's probably just rude to kill yourself when there are persons who have obvious attachments to you and are in the immediate vicinity (that is, parents and shit, not qts secretly crushing on you). If you live with or near your parents, don't commit suicide, as it will be quite an offense to them. If you live in a different state/country, go ahead. No one can stop you, unless you have a wife/gf, kids, close buddies who do not themselves entertain the idea of suicide.

I personally don't have any real interests outside of literature, so I'm going to live a few more years, reading books and shit, then kill myself somewhere far away after finishing Finnegans Wake
>>
>>7440254
topkek one of my best mates had a bad acid trip and jumped off my other friend's third-story balcony while the other friend and some more dudes were at Moe's eating burritos. He survived, of course, which is why I continue to make fun of him to this day. Fucking boner
>>
>>7439623
hanged*
>>
sort of feel like I'm missing something essential as a person
I experience everything on the surface level, I care for nothing especially deeply (I don't even read I just like the people here)
I also feel like people only experience me on the surface level, I have friends but they don't call, like I only exist when I'm physically there but even then that's all it is, existing
my friends would hate me if they knew my politics anyway
>>
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>7441411
No, the person committing suicide is stupid.
>>
>>7439530
>should someone have the right to end their own personal life, without the judgement of others?
You don't have the right to do anything without the judgement of others, anon. Otherwise you're stepping on their freedom of thought, which is pretty much the most basic freedom there is.
Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.