[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just realized my current major of music education has no job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 2013-07-26-collegeprofessor.jpg (27 KB, 508x363) Image search: [Google]
2013-07-26-collegeprofessor.jpg
27 KB, 508x363
Just realized my current major of music education has no job security even though it's my passion and I'm sure I'll regret leaving it for the rest of my life, so I'm looking at becoming a reading or writing teacher preferably teaching high school.

How many reading teachers are there on /lit/? What's it like?
>>
>music education has no job security
>so I'm looking at becoming a reading or writing teacher

Living at a toxic waste dump might not be all that great, so I'm gonna go live in the landfill.

They're equally bad, job-wise, so you might as well just do what your "passion" is, given the two options. Or you could just go for a third option that is reasonable and in demand. Or not, whatever, it's your life.
>>
What instruments do you know?
>>
>>7438875
If you are really passionate about your field of study, things will work out one way or the other. Don't let yourself be brainwashed by the drones of global capitalism who think the only thing in life is amalgamation of capital.

You might not become the newest Donald Trump, but something will come up for you that will give you stability enough.
>>
>>7438887
The arts are getting cut in every school, whereas there will always be reading and writing. There's also usually only one music director for the school system that goes to 6-8 and 9-12, so there aren't three different levels for other music teachers to get involved like a reading teacher could choose to do for elementary, middle, and high school.

>>7438910
I'm incredibly proficient at drum set, being one of the best players on my campus in only my second year, but that doesn't matter much when you wat to be a teacher.I'm great with hand percussion and tonal percussion, and okay at piano and voice. Being percussion specialized is what worries me most about this job, there is no demand for anything but a part time percussion assistant at these schools unless you get really fucking lucky.

>>7438929
>things will work out one way or the other
This is what I've been telling myself but I'm starting to crack. I want to believe that but I don't think I can anymore. I'm thinking about starting some kind of anti-depressant to help me.
>>
>>7438950

Have you seen Whiplash? Try harder or give up.
>>
>>7439092
whiplash was a great movie but unbelievably inaccurate. hopefully this post was ironic
>>
>>7439092
lel
>>
>>7438950
It's funny how you rationalize that reading/writing teachers (only marginally) have more spots to fill than music. Reading and writing teachers have held these positions for decades and they're not retiring any time soon enough to ensure you'll take their spot. Even when there is a reading/writing teacher spot open, I'm sure they have hundreds of applicants among which yours will get drowned out.

You have time to salvage your studies, but you probably won't.
>>
>>7439131
that's why you plot to kill them, obviously
>>
Why don't you try making music?
>>
>>7439120
Whiplash is a movie but it's not great. Hopefully this post was ironic.
>>
>>7438875
Former music major here -

stick with music ed. no job security anywhere else in music or thinking or anything
>>
>>7438875
>music education
LMAO

couldn't get into performance, eh?
>>
>>7439135
i'm ashamed of my awful sincere taste. i liked it, sincerely.
>>
>>7439092
Whiplash is one of my favorite movies, I need to rewatch it soon. And you're right, try harder or give up. That's a good rule to live by, I think I'll try it.
>>7439131
I hadn't thought of that.
>>7439133
I do make music, I love composing but I'm too technologically unlearned to record anything that sounds decent.
>>7439158
This was my first pick, I want to have as big an impact on my students as my teacher did on me, and you don't have time to teach private lessons as a full time performer.
>>
>>7439177

I read Julius Caesar a few days ago. These lines struck me as capturing the spirit of /lit/:

Yet if my name were liable to fear,
I do not know the man I should avoid
So soon as that spare Cassius. He reads much;
He is a great observer and he looks
Quite through the deeds of men: he loves no plays,
As thou dost, Antony; he hears no music;
Seldom he smiles, and smiles in such a sort
As if he mock'd himself and scorn'd his spirit
That could be moved to smile at any thing.
>>
>>7438875
music b. of arts degree is bottom of the barrel. get a music degree or go home.
>>
>>7438950
Move to the southern US, almost every high school has a dedicated percussion teacher because competitive Marching Band is a big meme
>>
>>7439262
lol, you'd be lucky to be that busy as a performer.

I think you should just stick with this if you like it though. I kinda regret dropping out of conservatory my first time round.
>>
>>7439330
wait what's the difference bewteen the first degree you mentioned and a music degree
>>
>>7439426
B.A. vs. B.Mus

writing essays about music without actually getting chops is pretty pathetic
>>
>>7438875
I mean if you're working in a school yeah. It can be pretty good money if you do private tutoring tho

but yeah man don't... don't go for the arts. There's better security in the language arts but it's still pretty much a wash and extremely competitive.

Math is obviously one of your better options but there's job security because it's painfully tedious
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.