[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The New And Almighty Meme Trilogy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 11
File: Kekkuthy.jpg (47 KB, 616x283) Image search: [Google]
Kekkuthy.jpg
47 KB, 616x283
Hey /lit/ you don't know shit, if you wanna go full meme, this should be the new meme trilogy.
Also
>reading Szentkuthy in translation
>eternal_pleburrence.jpg
>>
im up for this, i didn't even know who szentkuthy was
>>
>>7438497
basically a nigga, who outprousted proust
>>
I wrote this back in the other thread, I think that Miss Macintosh, my darling would fit greatly into new meme trilogy.

Anyway, Musil is great; never heard of Szentkuthy before; I would be afraid of Zettels Traum - I read some earlier books by Schmidt and they were so dense already, I can't almost imagine how difficult his later works are, however what I read was unbelievably good.
>>
>>7438527
>Musil is great; never heard of Szentkuthy before; I would be afraid of Zettels Traum

but isn't that the point? like in our current trilogy u have a 'dense' one, a 'hard' one and a final boss
>>
>>7438538
>but isn't that the point? like in our current trilogy u have a 'dense' one, a 'hard' one and a final boss

Yeah, I wasn't against it, just saying my opinion on Zettels traum based on reading 4 early books by Schmidt and read a lot about him. It's just somewhat scary for me - same goes for Finnegans Wake. I admire it, I love reading about it, but when it comes to confront the beast I'm all lost and probably not patient enough.

Btw, it's not translated into english yet, but there's another monster: Die Notizen oder Von der unvoreiligen Versöhnung by Ludwig Hohl.
>>
>>7438492
I just finished the last trilogy a month ago, Jesus fucking Christ! Also, these three will not do as they are all translations. Reading works (experimental/meme esc) in translation is just moronic. Have you ever tried to read a IJ or Ulysses translation? The story changes so much it isn't even worthwhile.

>>7438538
Who is the final boss?
>>
>>7438492
>Reading translations ever.
Pleb hour
>>
>>7438572
>Have you ever tried to read a IJ or Ulysses translation? The story changes so much it isn't even worthwhile.

I hihgly doubt that the story changes even a little. And second guess it that the highly praised 2666 is already being read in translation, so...

btw, I read Gravity's rainbow simultaneously in original and in translation (because sometimes I got lost), and you can get the picture in translation

One last note, Thomas Mann admited that the French translation of Death in Venice done by Philippe Jaccottet was better than his original work.
>>
>>7438572
the japanese translation of ulysses is supposed to be a work of art unto itself
>>
>>7438572
>Who is the final boss?

if i say it it's just gonna trigger a riot, just make your best guess
>>
>>7438527
Miss Macintosh is shit. Fuck off.
>>
File: 1446508967881.png (2 MB, 1560x750) Image search: [Google]
1446508967881.png
2 MB, 1560x750
>>7438492
NO, THIS IS THE NEW MEME TRILOGY. IT WAS DECIDED UPON BY MANY SEPARATE /LIT/ USERS.
>>
Anyone know if this is a good translation?

http://www.amazon.com/Prae-Vol-1-Miklos-Szentkuthy/dp/1940625084?tag=duckduckgo-d-20
>>
>>7438931
do you really think there would be more than one translation of an obscure hungarian book?
>>
File: 1449601349620.jpg (98 KB, 616x283) Image search: [Google]
1449601349620.jpg
98 KB, 616x283
>>7438492
You got it almost right.

I fixed it for you. No need to thank me!
>>
>>7438627
Is it? I just ordered it
>>
>>7438492
I support this
>>
>>7439139
do not be fooled by one angry anon, make your own opinion
>>
>>7439155
obviously i'm going to read it but i'm curious to know why they hate it or pretend to have read it.
>>
>>7439134
Ahh, Jahnn is great, but haven't read much by him.
>>
>>7439134
Fluss ohne Ufer (River without Banks) is 2100 pages by the way. :^)

>>7439164
You should definitely read more by him. In fact, everyone should read more by him. He has one of the most refreshing writing styles I've ever read. Also, he was weird as one could ever be during that period of time he lived in. He's as unique as they come.
>>
>>7438849
I love this trilogy more than the others.
>>
>>7439161
Almost 1 200 pages long novel written in stream of consciousness by a woman. Combine it with the fact you're on /lit/ and there you go.

I haven't read it myself, but it sounds so great and tempting I would love to; hopefully one day. And I already somehow know that I won't be disappointed.
>>
>>7438560
>Die Notizen oder Von der unvoreiligen Versöhnung by Ludwig Hohl.
God, I have to learn German someday. Just reading this man's bio makes me excited.
>>
>>7439171
A few of his short stories fell a little flat for me, while, but Die Marmaladenesser and Night of Lead was amazing
>>
>>7438931
>falling for the meme already
don't do this
>>
>>7439171
You should definitely read Ludwig Hohl if you haven't already. I mentioned him above. Outsider in the way of Robert Walser and Arno Schmidt (in a way of lifestyle and being completely ignored by literary scene), eccentic and weird guy and I totally love him. His Notizen are like almost 900 pages of fragmentary modernism.
>>
>>7439186
Read Perrudja then. Also, his plays are the best Expressionist plays written.
I haven't read his short stories yet. You're referring to "13 night ganz geheure Geschichten", right?
>>
>>7439194
I'm looking on Ebay for Hohl as we speak.

Unfortunately, I still haven't read many of the more voluptuous books like Zauberberg, Zettel's Traum, Mann ohne Eigenschaften, and Fluss ohne Ufer. I'll try to read them in 2016. They're on my "too read shelf".
>>
>>7439196
Probably, it was a collection containing 8 or so short stories, and it was a translation

>inb4 pleb
>>
>>7439208
Eh, it's alright. Jahnn isn't for everyone, I guess. Also, he was attracted to horses, I think. But he wrote in the most beautiful language ever.
>>
>>7439204
Don't mention Zauberberg, still on my to read list too. I have just suffered through the Seelandschaft mit Pocahontas by Arno Schmidt and I feel tired. Suffered in the best way possible of course, it's genius, but still already insane.

I am getting to go even more into history, here, next to me, is sitting Blumen-, Frucht- und Dornenstücke oder Ehestand, Tod und Hochzeit des Armenadvokaten F. St. Siebenkäs im Reichsmarktflec by Jean Paul and I am so excited to finally read it. And then Der grüne Heinrich by Gottfried Keller and then complete works of Adalbert Stifter. And Wallenstein by Alfred Döblin, can't wait to get into all that stuff.
>>
>>7439221
And got married to a dude in 1913, of course in St. Pauli. dat sailor boipussi

Only one more of his ouvre is available. a drama Medea or Richard III, I don't remember
>>
>>7439253
>suffered through the Seelandschaft mit Pocahontas by Arno Schmidt

u wot m8

Seelandschaft is probably my favorite Schmidt so far. The storytelling is great and it's full of 60s love and nature and whatnot. Fuck, this novel gave me orgasms from the language alone. It makes me feel inferior just reading it. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>7439260

He loved everything: man, woman, animal. He knew what was good for him.
>>
>>7439283
He hated the city tho, at least, that's what I see from Night of Lead
>>
>>7438492
I wonder how many people on /lit/ are willing to pay like 300 Euro for having an unread issue of Zettels Traum on their shelf just to look smart.
>>
>>7439261
I meant it in the best way actually. I was just trying to keep up with the things he was making references to and so on.

My favourite so far is probably Brand's haide, and if I'm not mistaken there is about 300 pages of supplementary commentary to that little book.
>>
>>7438492

>Arno Schmidt

the god
>>
File: arno shelf.jpg (1 MB, 2891x2285) Image search: [Google]
arno shelf.jpg
1 MB, 2891x2285
>>7439301
I didn't like Brand's Haide that much. It felt a bit stale to me. It's still a great book nonetheless. I enjoyed Faun more, though. It had the best description of an air raid ever.

>>7439311
pic related
>>
>>7439344
For those of you who want to get more into Schmidt:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haidnische_Alterth%C3%BCmer
>>
>>7439344
True patrician.
>>
>>7439299
>implying anyone on /lit/ has three benjamins

kek'd
>>
>>7439344
I didn't like Brand's Haide that much. It felt a bit stale to me. It's still a great book nonetheless.

Ah, I actually like romanticism a lot, so you probably going to know why I liked Brand's haide that much.
>>
>>7439364
Romanticism never did it for me. I always needed experiments and harsh language. Although there is a lot of love in the literature of the early 20th century. You just have to dig a bit.

My second most favorite Schmidt is probably Leviathan for the sheer rawness in it.
>>
>>7439376
Leviathan is great, I agree on that.

What about expresionism? I guess you would love some of it, based upon 'experiments and harsh language'. Right now I'm thinking of Gottfried Benn, his prose is exceptional (as well as his poems): Der Ptolemäer is one of my favourite things ever.
>>
>>7439392
Benn definitely had a great influence on Schmidt. My personal theory is that you can see that the most in the ending of the Gelehrtenrepublik. August Stramm personally, I hate Stramm also is very prevalent in Leviathan and in the air-raid scene of Faun. Although Stramm's contractions probably can be attributed a lot to Schmidt's style where he uses adjectives as verbs or various onomatopoeia.
His topics, though, are more based in 18th and 19th century literature.
>>
>>7439410
Haven't read Gelehrtenrepublik. And haven't touched anything by Stramm.

For me is, and now I'm really simplifying it, Schmidt ( I'm talking only about his earlier books) sort of mixture of 18th and 19th century literature and expresionistic prose of Alfred Döblin (see how is Döblin working with language, he called it Erzählerschlendrian if I'm not mistaken, almost cinematographic style of writing in some ways). At least I think so, and I'm not some scholar or academic, I just like books.
>>
>>7438572
>Ulysses translation
I have a translation of Ulysses. I'm considering to read it before reading the book in english.
>>
>>7439344

consider yourself envied.

>tfw have the same wood statue

also your setup is very aesthetically pleasing
>>
>>7438492

Pretty sure I was the one who mentioned Prae a while back in the thread ages ago to make the new meme trilogy but nice to see my choice has been taken.
>>
>>7439442
So far, 've only read Döblin's Berlin Alexanderplatz, so I can't comment too much on similarities. But I think it's not wrong to say what you said. He grabbed stories from all over literature and re-told them with a Modern sensibility while trying to advance Modernist narrative techniques. You could see that in Seelandschaft when he tried out his mnemonist technique to use "photographs" to reclaim the protagonist's memories and the story itself. It's similar to some passages of Lolita where the story has to invoked first by Humbert to be able to be told.
Later, Schmidt tried all sorts of crazy stuff. I'm eager to find out what Kaff is like where he advanced his techniques.

>>7439458
>>7439357
Thanks, m8s!
>tfw always getting called a pleb when posting your shelves in the shelf threads
>>
>>7439139
its interesting in the sense that its over 1000 pages of plot less purple prose
musils man without qualities has more /lit/erary value imo
havent read the other two
>>
>>7439490
>technique to use "photographs" to reclaim the protagonist's memories and the story itself

Yeah, exactly I wanted to add it into my post, but I'm always getting lost in my thoughts while trying to express something.
For me this technique of photographs and his whole idea of using these little papers with notes, which he started while working Seelandschaft if I'm not mistaken, correlates with this cinematographic style I mentioned. And it would not be that far mentioning old expresionistic movies and so on.

For Döblin, definitely try Wallenstein, I read only bits of it so far (I'm keeping it for later), but I think it's monumental piece of work.

Anyway, this is one of the best threads I've seen on /lit/ for some time. Thanks for it!
>>
>>7438492
Is there a list of books like these somewhere? Big labyrinthine memes that I can inundate myself with and die having understood nothing
>>
If you read translations you are a pleb.
>>
File: too read shelf.jpg (1001 KB, 3003x1601) Image search: [Google]
too read shelf.jpg
1001 KB, 3003x1601
>>7439563
I'll get more Döblin eventually. It's weird I haven't already. I usually try to get more of authors I enjoyed.

Pic related is stuff I'm going to read soon.

>Anyway, this is one of the best threads I've seen on /lit/ for some time. Thanks for it!

It's always a pleasure to bring some quality to 4chan!
>>
What's wrong with the old meme trilogy ? Why does everyone want to create a new one ?
>>
>>7439711
The new meme trilogy is better. Also, there is no one on /lit/ who has actually read all three.
>>
>>7439837
Which one, there are round 3-4 new meme trilogies that are currently circulating around the board.
>>
>>7439847
This one >>7439134
From now on it shall be known as the German Meme Trilogy™ and we should all strife to read it to become better patricians.
>>
>>7439164
>>7439171
can u two rec some reads for someone who is not quite on this level (think plebeian)

it sounds like u read a lot tbqh family
>>
>>7439882
Here's an honest advice: Read a lot. Try to read 100+ books a year. Find out why you read. Find out what to read. Reading is a journey you can't use a train or an airplane for. You have to go by foot. Musil, Jahnn, and Schmidt are destinations. You don't start with them.
>>
>translations
>dated books

lol... meme trilogy, more like pleb trilogy, or easy mode trilogy for those who cannot handle the normal meme trilogy.
>>
>>7439895
köder
>>
>>7439893
thanks m8

who r u favorite authors. i need a goal
>>
>>7440189
No, you don't. Your goal is to read more. Start with the shit you find in bookstores and work your way up. Find out what you like.
>>
>>7439882
>>7440189
Yeah, just read what and through that find out what you like. It's nonsense to say something like 'they like Schmidt, and he's dificult, so I'm going to read my way to him'. It doesn't work like that, you even may dislike his books (yeah, nothing is universal).

I can assure you, there is real joy in finding some obscure, unknown and great authors and books. Because it's your work, not just someone telling you read this.
>>
>>7438849
I thought Europe Central was in a trilogy with 2666?

When will we get a post-DFW meme trilogy starring Joshua Cohen's Witz? Tao Lin mentions it alongside IJ in Taipei, so you know it has meme-potential
>>
>>7439344
>those beautiful books
God damn, Germans truly must be the master race. Gotta catch up up learning that language, then
>>
>>7439344
>oh look at me I order everything off Zweitausendeins now I'm Patrizier

Oppermann - Hundert Jahre, fuck off, as if anyone reads that terrible shit

and /lit/ swallows it up like the ameritards they are
>>
>>7439582
>Nightwood
Not the anon you're replying to, but I'm about to read that myself. Picked up Hawkes' The Cannibal at my uni library and the editor's preface kept namedropping Kafka, Faulkner, and Barnes as important experimental/modernist writers whose traditions Hawkes carried on, so I just had to grab Nightwood before even beginning Hawkes.

It's a shame my podunk little Florida university doesn't have any of the German tomes listed in this thread
>>
We've gone too obscure.

At least with the original meme trilogy the books were wildly available to everyone and you had no excuse to not read them.

But now half of these books are either out of print (like Women and Men), haven't been translated yet (Zettels Traum), or are otherwise hard to find.

If the point is to only ever have maybe 2-3 anons read the all three books of the new trilogy (whichever one it is) then good job I guess.
>>
>>7441587
>We've gone too obscure.
Not obscure enough. We need to make up fictional novels, complete with mock cover art, etc.
>>
What's the current trilogy?

I am new be gentle
>>
>>7441594
Ulysses - James Joyce
Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon
Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
>>
Is there room for a trilogy trilogy?

Dos Passos' USA to represent modernism
Auster's New York for pomo
Can't think of a third to fit the theme though
>>
>>7438617
It should be understood the "Ulysses" is the best work in that set.
>>
>>7441618
I like that idea.

maybe Beckett? Molloy, Malone Dies and the Unnamable?
>>
>>7441600
>>
>>7441618
Murakami 1Q84
Gunter Grass --Danzig Trilogy
>>
>>7441637
Beckett's perfect. Someone finalize this.

>>7441646
Grass could be good, too. It may be better to remove Auster and have Grass, Dos Passos, and Beckett, as they are all within the early-to-mid twentieth century together
>>
>>7441643
kek does Ruskie GR make Tchitcherine the main character over Slothrop?
>>
>>7438931
Read it.
It's good, the book's design is fucking horrendous, idk enough Hungarian to comment on the translation
ily friend <3
>>
File: memelosophy.jpg (137 KB, 969x467) Image search: [Google]
memelosophy.jpg
137 KB, 969x467
>>
>>7441643
I've read Ulysses in English but I'm thinking of picking up a translation for it just to see how much of the original is lost or have changed.
>>
>>7441677
>memelosophy
>no Ego and Its Own
>>
File: zizek-012.jpg (126 KB, 700x420) Image search: [Google]
zizek-012.jpg
126 KB, 700x420
I can't understand ulysses, an I dumb?

I am a med student, and my autism level is pretty low.
>>
Lol all you faggots have to read the new, shittier translation of The Man Without Qualities when I've got my out of print and seemingly not online Willa and Edwin Muir swanky hardcover (pic related but with dust jacket) translation.

I tried reading this when I was 15 and got halfway through. Thought it was genius but got fatigued. I'm 18 now, will probs give it another shot soon.
>>
File: themanwithoutqualities.jpg (175 KB, 498x400) Image search: [Google]
themanwithoutqualities.jpg
175 KB, 498x400
>>7441706
>>
>>7441699
Which should go out for Stirner?
>>
>>7441704
It's a book of almost nothing but references to other books and if you don't have enough background knowledge it usually goes over people's heads.

Using an internet guide or buying an annotated copy helps greatly with understanding the book. I guess some people would call that "cheating" though.
>>
>>7441711
idk all seem pretty integral. May as well just make it a tetralogy
>>
>>7441718
Thanks man. I'll give it another shot when I will get trough more of the Canon literature than
>>
>>7441718
>It's a book of almost nothing but references to other books
no
no
no
no

it's readable even on its own, couple sequences aside
>>
fuck musil. boring ass nigga.
>>
>>7441783
I agree. He's clearly very smart but he's a mediocre writer. I enjoyed the sociophilosophical ramblings but the plot made me want to annex Austria.

He has good themes and characters but he's a shit novelist
>>
>>7441817
yeah, that was my difficulty reading it, i never was heavy on philosophy, (inb4 pleb plotfag) and it just wasnt relatable for me, i guess. no question he was brilliant. i tried mann's doctor faustus and i'm worried that it might be a german theme to never get to the meat and potatoes.
>>
File: infographic.png (2 MB, 1376x2372) Image search: [Google]
infographic.png
2 MB, 1376x2372
posting this here just because
>>
>>7441868
I love Mann. It is definitely more European not to treat themes simplistically like American authors. So there usually aren't any definite answers, authors don't tell you that they perfectly understood what the whole world is about. I like this approach better.

The meat is there but it's a French dish instead of KFC.
>>
>>7441583
Heh, I recently picked up The cannibal too (as well as The lime twig) and I'm now internested in Barnes as well.

And it's sort of interesting to think about The cannibal (or some parts of Gravity's rainbow) in the same way like about Kafka's America; and vice versa of course. This hallucinatory hyperbolic view on events and landscape, and the fact it captures the true nature of it all even though it completely differs from the reality.

I think that Dalkey Archive is putting out translations of Schmidt, no? Not sure about publisher, but there surely is Nobodaddy's children which contains three of Schmidt's short novels (Faun, Brand's haide and Schwarze spiegel). Just saying so.
>>
>>7441868
Jesus christ, whining about plot in this book.
>>
>>7441916
Yup, Dalkey is doing the english Schmidt. Still waiting on Zettel's Traum.
>>
>>7441920
If you can't write a good plot, write essays or a Nonfiction book. No point in your ideology in a story if it sucks gipsies balls.
>>
I read some of Schmidt's earlier works (Leviathan etc.) and he talks about a lot of random stuff at times. Like using n-dimensional manifolds and the corresponding tangent spaces as metaphors for relationships between people. And this is supposed to be his more accessible stuff.
>>
Is Marianne Fritz any good?

>(..) her third book, the 3,400-page 'Dessen Sprache du nicht verstehst', was picked up by Suhrkamp, whose director,the legendary Siegfried Unseld, hoped to market Fritz as a “female Joyce.” The book was a minor scandal: her proofreader gave up a third of the way through, declaring it impossible to distinguish errors from the author’s own idiosyncratic orthography, and reviewers spoke openly of the point at which they’d abandoned reading it.

http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2015/10/01/the-nonessential-on-marianne-fritz/
>>
>>7442259
Does that book even exist
>>
>>7442282
Yes. It was published in two versions (3 and 12 volume). There are 5 used copies in amazon.de of the 12 volume version.
>>
>>7442282
>tfw Borges doesnt have a short story on an insane feminist essayist who meets her end in typical fashion
>>
>>7442297
Are they translated in English? I can't imagine anyone masochistic enough to want to subject themselves to that, but I'd be interested in reading it
>>
>>7442317
Only her first novel, "Die Schwerkraft der Verhältnisse" (The Weight of Things) is translated.
>>
File: Trilogy Trilogy.png (335 KB, 607x277) Image search: [Google]
Trilogy Trilogy.png
335 KB, 607x277
>>7441658
The Trilogy Trilogy
>>
This board has fallen so far since 2010. The difference is fucking night and day. Holy shit.
>>
>>7442503
You're free to leave any time, grandpa.
>>
>>7442471
>McCarthy's Border trilogy isn't on the list

>>7441583
I've read parts of Nightwood which made me want to read the whole thing. I think I should pick up The Cannibal as well. I've heard it's bretty gud.

>>7441581
Here is your reply.
>>
>>7438627
>This book is incredibly, abhorrently repetitive, and has an unforgivably limpid vocabulary considering its length. It felt as though I were reading the same paragraph again and again, with the same phrases and descriptors coming up over and over and over, like hundreds of pages of poor, beginners' poetry read in sequence. There is a barrage of, for example, "shadow/shadows" (appears 489 times in the novel), "day/days" (474), "black" (362), "heart/hearts" (497), "night" (503), "dream/dreams" (618), "dark/darkness" (803), "cloud/clouds" (838), "eye/eyes" (895), "star/stars" (924), and "dead/death" (1248!). Yes, the words "dead" and "death" appear between them 1,248 times in this 1,198 page novel, to say nothing of "died" (259), "dying" (223), and "die" (135). Gee, I wonder what sort of please-take-me-seriously theme the author is attempting to browbeat the reader into paying attention to? How very edgy, how very important; surely this is the first time someone has dared approach these weighty topics, these dark and black and shadowy ideas in the night! Just kill (43) me now, Miss Young.

Is this you anon?
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.