[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't imagine the current generation of young British
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: ww1-trenches.jpg (117 KB, 1000x400) Image search: [Google]
ww1-trenches.jpg
117 KB, 1000x400
I can't imagine the current generation of young British men being capable of producing the plethora of poetry which their great-grandfathers did.

Is this evidence of a decline in literary ability?
>>
>>7438312
No, it's evidence of personal bias.

Your musings mean nothing, objectively.
>>
>>7438312
islamic culture discourages literature
>>
>>7438329
>Who are the Sufis?
>>
>>7438312
British culture is over. They gave it all away to women and betas in the wake of the world wars (I can hardly fault them for this, the wars were horrible and it makes sense they thought they were doing something wrong) and the British masculinity of the age you speak of is gone.
>>
>muh current generation

People have said the exact same sentence as OP for literally thousands of years already. The wheels of history will keep spinning.
>>
>>7438329
What? hahaha
Poetry, philosophy, and law is more important but that's a cultural artifact not a religious proscription and literature is definitely not discouraged.
>>7438336
More than just Sufis have dealt with and deal with lit.
>>
>>7438336
>less than 5% of the total muslim population of the world
>>
>>7438365
Where did you get this number? And tasawwuf isn't a separate sect. It influences and meshes with religious legal schools. Like irfaan in Shiism
>>
>>7438352

Civilization has been steadily declining since Socrates, tbqh.
>>
>>7438352
Yeah, the world's not going to end, but the exact circumstances that brought about the kind of Brit poetry OP likes probably won't occur in Britain again in his lifetime. Why's everybody sperging out about this?
>>
>>7438352
juvenoia
>>
No, look at the people who produced great work in the past. Milton was a fucking piece of shit NEET who dropped out of college, moved back in with his parents, and lived with them for more than a decade while not publishing anything.
It's kind of like how people expect actors who play hypermasculine characters to be masculine themselves, but then you realize they were theatre geeks their whole lives. When we think of Milton, we think of a blind poet writing Paradise Lost in his twilight years, and not the man living with his parents writing mediocre poetry about how God forgives him for being a NEET.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.