[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one adhere to a habit of daily writing? I have plenty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: tired hipster.jpg (148 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tired hipster.jpg
148 KB, 500x500
How does one adhere to a habit of daily writing? I have plenty of projects, but between them I could go up to a week without writing, as of late. Especially getting home, and having only a few hours to do things like eat, clean, take phone calls, and get enough sleep to be up at six in the morning.

Obvious answer I guess is keep a journal or just write for five minutes before bed or whenever you can grab the time. But what if you have nothing to say?
>>
>>7437769
Just Do Itâ„¢

If you have nothing to say, make something up. Don't lust after results.

Also what do you mean, "take phone calls?" Is this the 90s?
>>
>>7437791
He means he has phone sex with his ldr gf for three hours each day instead of writing.
>>
>>7437791
>>7437801
>Taking phone calls
Like me madre who insists on me calling each evening, or old normie friends who want to call to keep in touch, which pretty much entails me sitting and listening to them handling their baby for thirty minutes.
>>
>>7437811
Not to be that guy, but you should just tell your mom that you're busy and a grown adult, and you still love her etc. but you really don't have the time to talk every night. If she's not nuts she'll understand.
>>
>>7437826
I exaggerate. Now that she has a smart phone and can text, that's actually not an issue.

Let's ignore the taking calls thing. It was but an example. But boiling down to: if I can only take five minutes or so on a particular day, just to write for the sake of writing, to keep my muscle from atrophying, what the hell doth one write?
>>
>>7437840
If I'm really at a loss for ideas, I pick an object at hand and "sketch" it. Is it really so hard for you to come up with stuff to write?
>>
>>7437846
I suppose I don't try hard enough.
>>
>>7437769
Transcribe the conversations while on the phone, then alter them into fictional scenes of dialog after they hang up.
>>
i just write. like whenever i get bored outside i just pull out paper. and when im inside if i get a neat idea i write about it.
>>
>>7438520
Not a bad idea, I suppose. I like the idea of picking a random object and just describing it, as that's something I'd definitely benefit from exercising more.

I'll be honest, in the year past I've pretty much just written about naked girls.
>>
>>7438574
You'll see things you never thought were there. Tics, habits, even styles. Mamet used to eavesdrop with a pencil and legal pad in beauty parlors while his mom was getting her do.
>>
>>7438525
You sound like a freak.
>>
>>7438601
because i'm not lazy? k. enjoy mediocrity.
>>
>>7438590
One of the better short stories I've written was actually partially inspired by a conversation I overheard on the train, so yeah. Perhaps I should do that more.
>>
>>7438650
List me in the ack of the award edition after you collect your Pulitzer.
>>
>>7438703
I will. Loves kisses hugs.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.