[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who are some criminally unknown russian authors?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: stoop kid.png (311 KB, 1280x1141) Image search: [Google]
stoop kid.png
311 KB, 1280x1141
who are some criminally unknown russian authors?
>>
>>7437721
That guy who wrote that proto-joyce novel that nabokov vouched for
>>
-Anna Akhmatova
-Vasily Aksyonov
-Leonid Andreyev
-Mikhail Artsybashev
-Isaac Babel
-Andrei Bely
-Andrei Bitov
-Ivan Bunin
-Lydia Chukovskaya
-Sergei Dovlatov
-Venedikt Erofeev
-Afanasy Fet
-Vsevolod Garshin
-Aleksander Griboyedov
-Vasily Grossman
-Ilya Ilf and Evgeny Petrov
-Daniil Kharms
-Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky
-Mikhail Kuzmin
-Nikolai Leskov
-Vladimir Makanin
-Osip Mandelstam
-Vladimir Mayakovsky
-Yury Olesha
-Nikolai Ostrovsky
-Victor Pelevin
-Ludmilla Petrushevskaya
-Boris Pilnyak
-Andrei Platonov
-Zakhar Prilepin
-Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin
-Victor Serge
-Varlam Shalamov
-Mikhail Sholokhov
-Fyodor Sologub
-Vladimir Sorokin
-Tatyana Tolstaya
-Lyudmila Ulitskaya
-Mikhail Zoshchenko
>>
>>7437730
andrei bely? agreed.
>>
Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin (his The Golovlyov Family and The History of a Town)
Nikolai Leskov (The Sealed Angel and other short stories)
>>
>>7437733
That's the one!
>>
>>7437732
thank you.
>>
>>7437732
>Ivan Bunin
fuck yeah, his short stories and The Village are awesome

>Osip Mandelstam
He isn't that unknown, is he? Same for Akhmatova, Mayakovsky
>>
>>7437757
I just assumed unknown meant not Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Chekhov, pushkin, lermatov or gogol. Which in the west is usually the case.
>>
>>7437732
>tfw face to face with your own mortality
>>
yeah, a lot of these i was familiar with or own, but definitely a few i wasnt aware of, thank you.
>>
File: cat drink.jpg (11 KB, 152x135) Image search: [Google]
cat drink.jpg
11 KB, 152x135
What is with the shit-storm of a people in Master and Margarita? Maybe it's because I couldn't keep anyone besides The Master, Margarita, The devil's gang, Homeless, and Berlioz straight. Probably because the had a short, memorable name. It's like Fredmavich Donfdkmavich pushed Donmichvinkin Kiltiliavich down the stairs while Gretchatonavich Grishmanivondrakav and Ivan Komendropoff dance the babushka.
>>
>>7437803
i couldnt get into it either, although i'm not a huge fan of soviet lit anyway.
>>
>>7437730

anyone who's ever read a book knows who he is

>>7437732

some well known and lesser names there. p sure everyone knows mandelstaum
>>
>>7437832
anyone who's ever read a book knows who andrei bely is, anon? i dunno man
>>
I would say Andrei Bely for his works other than Petersburg because they are criminally unread.
>>
>>7437721
>ttw the author of that webcomic was a /lit/itzen
>>
we need more critics to come and show us where the petersburgs are, like nabokov, he can pretend to write all he wants as long as he shows us more petersburgs.
>>
Anatoly Mariengof
>>
>>7437803
There's like fifteen named characters in the entire book Anon. If you can't even keep up with that you're not gonna have a good time with War and Peace.
>>
>>7437772
Outside of those names I can only think of
Aleksandr Solženicyn
But considering his nobel, he is hardly unknown, alas this is who I know.

Oh there's Ivan Goncharov too.
I have Oblomov of him, but I have not read it yet.
>>
>>7439063
oblomov is interesting, a bit dull at times, but interesting.
>>
>>7437721
Tatyana Tolstaya. Double criminal bonus: yes she is related to that one. Triple criminal bonus: She is still alive.
>>
have you guys read anything by alexei tolstoy?
>>
>>7439077
Dont tempt me, I have to read the Sociological Imagination, which is a bit of a pain for me and thus in the meantime read Stoner and then Lincoln Unknown once I am done with the second one.
>>
>>7439126
yer tellin me, list forever growing.
>>
>>7437732
I desire more time.
>>
>>7439138
if I write down the books/movies/games I finished, reading the list reawakens the memories and it makes it worth it...althought for the life of mine I cant remember a damn thing about All quiet on the Western front and I read that this year.

Back on OP's topic, I read a collection of Tolstoryes (eh) and looking back at it, it seems rather true.
>>
>>7439165
oh, no worry, i'm OP. the guy who wrote Peter the First? or are you talking about someone else?
>>
>>7437730
Everyone knows what Petersburg is you dolt
>>
>>7439189
I read some Tolstoy stories and there is a kind of cold atmosphere that I can pick up but not truly understand, maybe is the translation, maybe is because I cant immerse myself into that mentality.
>>
>>7439203
yeah, tolstoy isnt much of a heartstring tugger for me, from what i've read so far.
>>
>>7439207
I would love to read War and Peace but I want to do so in russian, and learning by oneself, while having to learn french, eh.

I wonder if these days the modern russian writer is much as suicidal as it once was?
>>
>>7439216
you know, i never really had much of a worry about learning a new language to read these works, i feel as though perhaps i'm missing everything, and it's a shadow of what it once was, but that i can still enjoy it in my limited capacity. i don't read to prove anything to anyone, i read for pleasure, so if these translations are pleasing, then why the fuck not? not going against your desire to learn russian, good on you, but i've just always felt that it was a distinction that i made when i was first getting into russians.
>>
>>7439229
well, recently, my english while not being perfect by any means has gone through enough that I automatically play a game when watching a movie, (which I usually watch with dubs), I imagine what they say and those little snippets lost in translation, althought the biggest loss is usually poetry anyway, which like songs it can hardly be translated without becoming something else entirely.

I am afraid then, that I might be reading something and not enjoying it because the translation has lost the author's intents.
>>
>>7437732
Artsybashev is probably the least worth reading on the list. His works are trying too hard to be edgy and aren't even well-written.
Also, I don't think Sholokhov could be considered criminally unknown considering he won the Nobel.
>>
Vyacheslav Shishkov
>>
artmyov sudoivich
>>
Reallly really underrated.

Mikhail Artsybashev
Leonid Andreyev
Fyodor Sologub
Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin
>>
>>7442171
don't even know what to think of sologub, it almost shocked me to see such perversion in russian literature, i had to put the book down to save it for later.
>>
>>7442179

You innocent baby
>>
>>7442233
i know, i know. i'm sorry.
>>
none of the authors mentioned in this thread for sure. Probably ones whose works have been lost
>>
>>7441210
Maybe criminally under-known would be a better description.
>>
1) Isaac Babel. Some of the warmest, comfiest reading I have ever done. Not sure how he holds up in translation though.

2) V. Veresaev. Not quite a literary genius like the other 2 russian doctor writers, but still very worthwhile, especially for those interested in the emotional/ethical side of medicine.

3) Lermontov is overrated as fuck
>>
Turgenev is probably the most underrated out of the famous ones, at least in the west. Everybody talks about tolstoy, chekhov and dostoyevsky while turgenev is not as discussed.

Bunins short stories are really, fucking, good. Like theyre on pars with chekhovs. And him being originally a poet, it really shows in his prose.
>>
Victor Serge
>>
>>7442334

Decent but not russian.
>>
>>7442428
Just because he was born in Belgium, doesn't mean he's not Russian.
>>
>>7442322
are there any good translations of those?
>>
Pushkin
>>
>>7437868
>>
>>7442437
Actually, that's exactly what it means.
>>
>>7437732
Seconding Kharms
Probably my favorite Russian author (which puts him high in the running for favorite of all time)
>>
>>7438960
I don't know.... There's the girl with the moustache and the aide de camp. Also some old guy that shot a cannon once. No one else is memorable. Napoleon is mentioned, but never appears.
>>
>>7443230
There's some Constance Garnett translations, and people love her War and Peace.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.