[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so is this his best book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: against the day.jpg (88 KB, 276x438) Image search: [Google]
against the day.jpg
88 KB, 276x438
so is this his best book?
>>
If Pynchon is so for the workingman, then why does he write novels they can't read?
>>
>>7436827
Because writing at an eight grade reading level isn't fun or rewarding for him, and he clearly enjoys writing the way he does.
>>
>>7436827
>people who work can't read
>the unemployed can read well enough to enjoy Pynchon

This logic is completely faulty.
>>
Gravity's Rainbow = Born to Run

Mason & Dixon = Darkness on the Edge of Town

Against the Day = The River

naamsayin
>>
Pynchon is a poor-man's Margaret Atwood.

Margaret Atwood is a poor-man's Ayn Rand.
>>
>>7437447
Bruce Springsteen = Shit
>>
>>7437667
Ur mum = shit
>>
>>7436819
No, Mason & Dixon is.
>>
I enjoyed it but it really is too bloated. Either mason & dixon or gravity's rainbow take the top spot at least for me.
>>
>>7437457
Terrible bait
>>
>so is this his best book?
Not by a long shot. A cluttered steampunk Western? This book is pretty fucking bogus.

I guess I prefer it to Bleeding Edge.
>>
>>7437693
Yes it is.
>>
V. = Psilocybin
Lot 49 = Hashbrownie
Gravity's Rainbow = Amanita Muscaria
Vineland = Smooth Beer
Mason & Dixon = Dark Coffee
Against The Day = Heroin
Inherent Vice = Ghanja
Bleeding Edge = Soda and Cigarettes
>>
Lot 49 is
>>
>>7437447
Against the Day = Nebraska
>>
>>7438251
his worst book
finished that for you
>>
>>7437849
Pretty sure Mason and Dixon is stone-cold sobriety as you trudge through the freezing African night to the observatory where your bro is hard at work so you can bring him some coffee, all the while trying to convince him you don't really care if he likes you.
>>
>>7438264
>it's his shortest so it's his worst, saying that makes me smart :)

nice meme
>>
>>7438277
Nice projecting
>>
>>7436819
no, idiot.

son & xon is.
>>
>>7438274
So tsundere
>>
>>7438282
you don't know what projecting means, so i can't imagine you understand pynchon
>>
File: image.jpg (490 KB, 1280x1256) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
490 KB, 1280x1256
>>7436876
Why?
>>
is V a good starting place for the pinecone?
>>
>>7438576
Yeah, but it's also his best book.
>>
>>7437849
>Against The Day = Heroin
long, kind of substanceless trip, but for some reason you don't really mind
>>
>>7438576
lot 49

then v.
>>
>>7438600
why though?
>>
>>7438600
49 is short and interesting and a good intro to pinecone. like an appetizer before V., then GR, then MD
>>
>>7438607
V. is a great starting place
Fuck the other guy

V. epitomizes his early style you find in Gravity's Rainbow and most purists rank it among his best
It's funny, relatively easy, and covers a lot of themes he comes back to later in his work

gopher it man. The first 50 pages read like a comic book version of On The Road, though. It doesn't open with much of a "literary" mask, so it's easy to get into, though I know some people do hate it for the same reasons
>>
>>7438626
>>7438607
sorry, was for you.
>>
>>7436827
I'm a working class degenerate and have enjoyed every Pynchon novel ive read quite a bit. He seems to be just as well liked by drug users as he is by academia.
>>
>>7438357
Nice strawman
>>
>>7438256
So since I find Nebraska to be the best Bruce album, Against the Day will be a good read?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.