[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are subcultures simply groups that allow participants to engage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: punk-fashion-7.jpg (231 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
punk-fashion-7.jpg
231 KB, 800x532
Are subcultures simply groups that allow participants to engage in alternative forms of cultural expression, or do they provide participants with the tools to actively resist political and cultural hegemony?
>>
>>7436645
>>>/his/
>>
>>7436648

My question is just as philosophical as it is historical
>>
>>7436645
>Are subcultures simply groups that allow participants to engage in alternative forms of cultural expression

for weak readings of alternative, sure.

>do they provide participants with the tools to actively resist political and cultural hegemony?

no
>>
depends on what we're talking about
the genuinely subversive 'punk' culture is very different from people playing dressup like you posted above
>>
They're mostly for teenagers.
>>
>>7436651

Yet somehow just not about literature still
>>
>>7436662

I used it as an example, it could be specifically traditional punk or subcultures in general.
>>
>>7436645
I always lol at people calling themselves "Punk" and not realizing that's a directly self-contradictory thing to do.

>You just don't understand what it is to be punk
Oh okay, you're not a trendy shit child, this isn't image consciousness or anything.
>>
>>7436645
I think anyone dressing up and attaching a label to themselves should basically just be ignored until we check again at age 25 whether or not they're worth listening to.
>>
Their alternative expression is one of different consumption patterns, thus they never actually step out of capitalism and are easily absorbed by it. The guys in the OP probably bought that stuff (manufactured in some Indonesian gulag no doubt) in a Hot Topic.
>>
>>7436724
bretty good
>>
hahahahahahahahah you have to read Dick Hebdige's dense prose now, OP.
Subculture: The Meaning of Style (1979) is where you start
>>
>>7436709
Kinda tired of hearing this argument. Yeah, we get it, saying that you're punk is the height of unpunkness. Who fucking cares.

This thread would probably be better suited to /mu/ desu
>>
>>7437720

I had to read it for a university course last year, you're not wrong about the prose.
>>
>>7436645
60s-70s Hippies
80s- Punks
90s- HipHop
00s- Hipsters
2014- Ironic Memers
2015- Neo-christian Nationalists

what's next /lit/?
>>
>>7437668
This. I'm sure someone somewhere used to wear stuff like that just as a sincere fuck you to normies, but if you can buy a punk starter kit at the mall then you're just paying normies to not look like them.
>>
>>7438140
2010's is accelerationists- ur memers and ur nrxers are both in that
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.