[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your favourite 'intellectual' podcasts /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3
File: 2332546547.jpg (21 KB, 336x336) Image search: [Google]
2332546547.jpg
21 KB, 336x336
What are your favourite 'intellectual' podcasts /lit/?

In Our Time, and Hardcore History are for sure the GOATs.
>>
> Hardcore History
I dunno that one just kinda sounds like hanging out with your drunk nerdy gen x uncle, who's testosterone levels have finally dropped low enough and whose alcoholism has finally deteriorated his vitality enough that he just wants to ramble about military history with pent up emotions implying that he wished he were there instead of sitting there worried about whether he can afford a new deck.

...I have no point to make
>>
>>7436327
>...I have no point to make

Indeed you don't
>>
>>7436337
errr wait I was gonna suggest that calling him GOAT is a bit like inviting that drunk uncle to give a symposium at Harvard; he could maybe pull it off but 2bh I doubt even he thinks he belongs there, much less anyone else.
>>
>>7436337
Also I'm starting to become convinced that the purpose of lit is for sexually frustrated undergrads to have an environment where they can use words like "indeed" and not feel like prissy autists.
>>
>>7436346
You're not wrong, but you are being a cunt about it.

The goal of Hardcore History is to be entertaining, but along away to maybe pass some insight. Entertaining, it definitely is.
>>
In Our Time is great
I wish Melvin was my dad

>>7436327
Hardcore History is pop history, but I don't think anyone is pretending that it's more.

It's a fun thing to listen to while I'm doing chores, and if the episode I'm listening to is about a topic I know nothing about (e.g. Anabaptist) I can go read up on it later on after getting somewhat of an overview and an entertaining thing to listen to
it's like turning on the TV and watching a fun documentary that doesn't go into all the detail and has those stupid reenactment scenes, if the topic is interesting you go and read about it later instead of taking everything as the word of god and believing that the guy dressed like Charlemagne is a perfect representation of the man and everything that you see on screen is exactly how it happened

My favorite episode is on the fall of the republic, I really like that time period
>>
>>7436371
>You're not wrong, but you are being a cunt about it.
hahahahah yes. Also I love hardcore history. That's why I have a detailed characterization of him ready on the top off of my head.
>>
>>7436365
The pretence in this post. Woah.

My mind is being blown.
>>
>>7436365
False sense of superiority: the post.
>>
>>7436391
You know I love to blow it bb <3<3
>>
can we please talk about podcasts
>>
>>7436398
>implying I'm not a sexually frustrated undergrad who doesn't feel i can use the word "indeed" irl without feeling like a prissy autist
Nigga you're part of my club just like I'm part yours. Were it that neither of us had a reason to talk to each other we'd both be better off hahahah
>>
>>7436407
>>7436400
>>7436386
>>7436365
>>7436346
>>7436327
Can you fuck off?
>>
>>7436402
Obviously have to bring up PEL. It serves it's purpose, rather it exist than not.

In our time I like but large bias because it passed the time while I was having a bad mushroom trip in Thailand.
Everything else I feel makes me sad because it reminds me of having conversations with my friends but it falls very short.
>>
>>7436402
I would love to. Too bad we have autismus maximus in this thread.
>>
No love for Thinking Allowed?
Laurie gets all the love he needs, apparently
Radio 4 thread?
>>
>he listens to podcasts instead of lectures
laughinggirls.jpg
>>
>>7436454
Lectures mostly have shit audio quality
>>
>>7436456
>Lectures mostly have shit audio quality
Better than just having shit quality.
>>
>>7436297
History of Philosophy without Any Gaps is the best podcast I've ever listened to. It's hosted by an excellent scholar of philosophy and who frequently has experts in the field on to talk to. It is erudite, accurate, and not at all superficial. He punctures a lot of myths and misconceptions about philosophers that I had.

You probably should have a little background before jumping in though. It can be kind of dense and requires you to be paying attention. It's so worth it though. I've been trying to read along as he goes, and it's a blast.
>>
>>7436717
Reading back on this comment and it's really poorly written, sorry. I'm in the middle of finals and I guess I'm a bit fried.
>>
>>7436722
You worry too much, your comment was perfectly fine
>>
>>7436717
This, In Our Time, and Podcast To The Curious are amazing.
>>
>>7437204
>Podcast to the Curious
Good to see another M.R. James fan around here.
>>
I don't like any of the podcasts. I just thought I'd add nothing to this thread.
>>
>>7437235
I hope you at leasted bumped?
>>
>>7437252
Darn it. I guess I do mean something after all.
>>
Our fair city is one of my favourite dramas. It's fairly comfy tbqh
>>
I enjoy philosophy bytes when I have 15 minutes to spare. They are a bit hit and miss but you should definitely try them.
>>
Definitely more /v/ than /lit/, but Watch Out For Fireballs is a good podcast about video games. The hosts actually have interests beyond video games so it's nice to have people talk about games that are actually aware of the rest of the world.
>>
>>7437254
Gz, you just beat the existential angst. I liked hardcore history and radiolab. But most of the podcasts people recommend seem to be "HEY EVERYBODY ITS ME THE ANNOYINGLY CHEERFUL $host WHO IS TRYING VERY HARD TO BE WITTY" level garbage.
>>
>>7437680
It's all just attention whores, isn't it. It's free in the first place so that's probably why it's shit.
>>
>>7436327
Its pop history extraordinaire. I was not impressed.
>>
Lapham Quarterly Podcasts looked great, I may start them soon
>>
File: dr laura.jpg (62 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
dr laura.jpg
62 KB, 500x500
I listen to this cunt.
>>
Imaginary Worlds, Snap Judgment, TAR, 99% Invisible (though Roman Mars is pretty faggy)
>>
Bumpitybumpbunp
>>
In Our Time bugs me because Melvyn is always rushing the guests. Makes me feel like I'm getting less than I could have if he just took as much time as the conversation/experts deserve. Either way, still a good podcast.

I like Elucidations. Great host, respected scholarly guests, and good editing.

I also like the podcasts put out by the Poetry Foundation. But I might be trying too hard.
>>
>>7438486
It's a radio show, he's got to make sure everything can be fit in.
>>
>>7438490

Right, and to be fair to him he does a good job with the constraints that are put on him because of that.
>>
>>7437741
Add the Allusionist to the list and some episodes of Risk! and we're good.

Risk has some great stories, and good insight into all jobs l kinds of worlds, even if some are beyond gay and some people are just awful. That's part of the charm. You can freely hate people and their perspective, but at least you get some insight into their heads.

The allusionist is just what you'd think, the exploration of language.

My secret dirty pleasure for late night drunk walks is nosleep. Don't tell anybody.
>>
>>7438486
Elucidations is pretty great. I'm not just saying that because I go to the University of Chicago.
>>
>>7436297
there is nothing objectively wrong with Hardcore history (I personally hate the way Carlin talks) but to put it beside in our time as if they were equal in quality is a mistake
>>
>>7436365
"indeed" is not a big word.
>>
I think Philosophize This! is ok. The host is annoying but when I was getting into philosophy the podcast gave me a pretty decent intro to most of the biggest thinkers. I listen to Partially Examined Life now.
>>
>>7436297
i used to like the partially examined life but then they shit on augustine and it made me angry.
>>
i usually prefer in our time to any kind of radio program or podcast but in our time is rad as fuck demonoid had a big as torrent of like all of them
>>
>>7439091
he never said indeed was a big word, fag, learn to read
>>
>>7440091
faglord, learn to interpret, fagget
>>
>>7436297
Stefan Molyneuxs' Freedomain Radio podcasts
>>
>>7440099
bra u gotta admit indeed is wicked faggoty tho
>>
>>7437115
Thanks bro :)
>>
>>7438486
True, it would be a million times better if he wasn't limited to an hour.
>>
Futility Closet
Entitled Opinions
On The Media
Slate's Political Gabfest
The World Next Week
Lore
Partially Examined Life
Radiolab

I mean, they're not "intellectual" but they're nice brain candy. Entitled Opinions has some fantastic podcasts on Dante and T.S. Eliot.
>>
>>7436297
a while ago i was looking at some of the people who've appeared on in our time and i made a list of some of the more impressive

christopher hitchens, susan sontag, eric hobsbawm, harold bloom, galen strawson, roger penrose, will self, steven pinker, ian mcewan, richard dawkins, gore vidal, daniel liebskind, jared diamond, francis fukuyama, amos oz, niall ferguson, nadine gordimer, george monbiot, stephen jay gould

back in the early days they had christopher hitchens and susan sontag on the same episode
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.