[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone else like this book as much as I did? It's seriously
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: OryxAndCrake.jpg (46 KB, 322x475) Image search: [Google]
OryxAndCrake.jpg
46 KB, 322x475
Did anyone else like this book as much as I did? It's seriously the best dystopian sci-fi ever written.
>>
absolute shit book

dude has an opportunity to rebuild civilization and spends all his time telling them bullshit stories instead of teaching them basic math and science what the actual fuck
>>
>>7436190
I love it. Read it in a graduate course. Professor said the sequel was horrible, so I've not continued on.
>>
>>7436476
Did you somehow not get the point of the book? Snowman isn't Crake. Because he was a "words" guy, he was never coveted. It's what and who he is, so yeah, he's going to do that.
>>
She lacks the intellectual rigour needed to write SF, it reads more like a fairytale told by someone whose understanding of scientific advances ended in the '90s, whose understanding of politics is as naive as a teenager. I read all three. The best part of the trilogy was the part told in the third one, near the beginning where it's an ageing woman's perspective on her relationships or something. That bit was really great.
>>
>>7436190
Eh. Doesn't really hold up to multiple readings.

I can appreciate the use of perspective and, compared to Handmaid's Tale, the treatment of the female character is remarkably subtle. The book does spend entirely too much time justifying its premise when its real strength was in comparing the motivations and characteristic tendencies of its characters. The sequels do a better job of making the premise feel natural and relevant instead of being a means to an end.
>>
>>7436507
Yeah, I agree. The Handmaid's Tale was such a disappointment for the same reason, and then even worse because of the half-baked political commentary and annoying feminist rhetoric.
>>
>>7436927
I could appreciate THT for the message but yeah, the world it was set in was just... hollow. Empty, undeveloped. That wasn't the point of the story, but in the Oryx & Crake trilogy it sort of was, and failed at it.
>>
>>7436507
>intellectual rigour
>science fiction

laughinggirls.fu
>>
>>7436190
I enjoyed it. I actually let a pal borrow it a few days ago. Only thing I've ever read by Atwood and it sounds like I'll keep it that way.
>>
She says she writes speculative fiction, not science fiction, which is more patrician.
>>
It's pretty good. The fall from grace. The STEM vs humanities divide. Genesplicing future.
>>
>>7436190

You seriously need to read some more dystopian science fiction then

fucking canadian woman sitting in her shed, terrified of men, computers and the internet, smoking handrolled cigarettes and trying to be relevant
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.