[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ like to listen to while reading? (I tried asking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: 10308085.jpg (75 KB, 719x960) Image search: [Google]
10308085.jpg
75 KB, 719x960
What does /lit/ like to listen to while reading? (I tried asking /mu/ but they're mostly plebs who have no experience reading)

I live in a shitty apartment with thin walls, you can always hear some combination of street traffic and obnoxious neighbours.

As such I've taken to listening to music while reading and studying to block out the noise.

I've been mostly listening to Chopin and Ambient (Stars of The Lid, The Dead Texan and A Winged Victory for The Sullen are favourites) but I'm starting to grow bored. Any recommendations?

tl;dr what does /lit/ listen to to create a nice headspace for reading?
>>
>>7434481
marin marais.
>>
>>7434481
I used to listen to Stars of the Lid for every single book I read. It does get boring.
Personally I can't listen to classical or anything like that as it's too distracting so I stick to ambient.
Try The Caretaker - An Empty Bliss Beyond This World, William Basinski, and Gas.
Also Rubycon by Tangerine Dream.
>>
>>7434481
I have the same problem but I bought earplugs instead. I can't focus with music playing.
>>
>>7434481
try ambient noise. like, hours of it on youtube of absolutely anything.

Personally? I listen to just fucking whatever. 80s prog rock, electro swing or sometimes even just tv shows..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6-TWRn0k4I
>>
>>7434580
these are all so good. this will distract from hearing fox news blaring in the other room. (marin marais guy here)
>>
File: 1400969807744.jpg (175 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1400969807744.jpg
175 KB, 960x960
>>7434597
>listening to tv shows when reading
>listening to high energy music that requires concentration while reading
>listening to anything with vocals while reading
>>
>>7434597
>electro swing
Epic taste my friend! 10 internets for you!
>>
Anything with Johnny Hodges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxBCEuHQVms
A treat
>>
File: idcjoey.gif (348 KB, 192x231) Image search: [Google]
idcjoey.gif
348 KB, 192x231
>>7434606
>>
File: x3ea8EJ.jpg (56 KB, 400x254) Image search: [Google]
x3ea8EJ.jpg
56 KB, 400x254
I listen to low-impact ASMR

Nothing with spoken words, because that can distract me from the text. That's the reason I can't listen to music, I get too easily distracted by the lyrics.

Try searching 'ASMR Inaudible Whispers.' It's from this Aussie name Dmitri, I think his channel is called MassageASMR on Youtube and Souncloud. The file itself runs for ~36 minutes, so it's good for a few play-throughs while reading or writing.

Enjoy.
>>
>>7434495
>>7434580
>>7434612
OP here, all great recs tyvm
>>
>>7434626
ASMR freaks me the fuck out.
>>
>>7434627
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAnkU9hqJbE
>>
>>7434597
>electro swing
Why would you listen to this unironically?
>>
>>7434658
I don't understand irony.
>>
>>7434612
thank you anon
>>
>>7434626
I feel gay when I listen to a male ASMRtist
>>
Boards of Canada - Campfire Headphase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2zKARkpDW4

Check it out, very ambient easy listening electronic music. Clip sounds like the theme song for a CSI show in the wild west.
>>
If you like ambient, I highly recommend you look into Celer. They were a husband and wife duo, wife passed away some years back, dunno what the husband's been up to since, but the music they made before she died was amazing.
>>
>>7434694
No problem, senpai. Thank Hodges and his sexy tone.
>>
>>7434597
>electro swing
get back to reddit kid
>>
>>7434724
Another album I listen to when I read
I think every artist/album that I listen to while reading has been mentioned in this thread besides Brian Eno
>>
>>7434724
yeah this board is dying when people start describing BoC as CSI music

see ya folks it's been pleasant
>>
File: yoshimura-green.jpg (41 KB, 354x352) Image search: [Google]
yoshimura-green.jpg
41 KB, 354x352
I listen to these >>7434580 and Japanese minimalism (Hiroshi Yoshimura) and classical music

all at the same time
>>
>>7434851
this needs to fucking stop.
>>
>>7434481

i've had some success with christina vantzou, ian william craig, julianna barwick, and gareth dickson
>>
>>7434481
Mostly radio stations that either play ambient or instrumental only music. I don't like listening to the same albums over and over again when I'm reading, the freshness of new music keeps my mind more alert
>>
I always just listen to white-noise/nature-sounds via 'mynoise.net'.
>>
>>7434890
i think soma.fm might have some stuff like that.
>>
get some earplugs if it's too noisy to read.

Listening to music while reading is really distracting for me personally.
>>
>>7435729
This
>>
I listen to Bach, but only when it's non-fiction. I do listen to some flute sonatas when reading Plato however.
>>
>>7435719
>>7434890
soma.fm is fantastic
>>
>>7434481
rainymood.com

with headphones, obviously. Also when studying. I rarely listen to that music selection they provide though.
>>
Ryoji Ikeda
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TlG7Rf6rEU

bull of heaven senpai
>>
>>7434864
great ambient album

sparse music is perfect for reading

for drones:
tim hecker- dropped pianos
lovesliescrushing- chorus

for structure:
kraftwerk- kraftwerk 2
john fahey- the dance of death and other plantation favorites

also just turning the music down is pretty helpful
>>
Manfred by schumann works for me. And then, when reading hard shit like phylosophy i hear something like "the velvet underground - black angels death song". Pretty much you need to find you songs. Also try Max Richter, he has some really calmed and peaceful songs.
>>
the metronome at 144 bpm
>>
>>7434481
Ony ambient works with reading. Try Eluvium. Look at /mu charts for the ambient recommendations.
>>
>>7434481
>What does /lit/ like to listen to while reading? (I tried asking /mu/ but they're mostly plebs who have no experience reading)
Sounds like they told you that you might as well just listen to easy-listening trash since you can't appreciate classical music while putting your attention elsewhere and you got butthurt about it. I bet if I came to /lit/ asking what books to read between loading screens in video games you'd tell me the same thing.
>>
>>7434481
Earplugs, similar to those youse to shoot a gun.
If not jazz or classical... well any instrumental music will do.
>>
eliane radigue is the best
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.