[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you actually want to be a writer and actively pursuing that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: neet..jpg (59 KB, 500x397) Image search: [Google]
neet..jpg
59 KB, 500x397
Do you actually want to be a writer and actively pursuing that goal or do you just want to be a 'writer' because you romanticize the idea?
>>
dont want to be a writer. just want to get laid. lib girls are just my type.
>>
>>7434217
I want to write because I have a bunch of ideas in my head and want to coalesce them and also because I love playing with language.
>>
>>7434217
I romanticize the idea because I don't have the talent to be a writer.
>>
>>7434217
What di you mean?
What's the difference?
>>
I don't want to be a writer

I write because I enjoy it, not because of an identity it gives me

jeez, you kids
>>
File: 1439424537319s.jpg (12 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1439424537319s.jpg
12 KB, 250x242
only discernible talent I have in life in in writing. It comes naturally while everything else seems incredibly difficult and painful.
>>
>>7434217
A little of both.

I've written two novels, both unpublished, and a slew of short stories (first paid acceptance a few months ago). So, I clearly have the drive. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy complaining about being a starving artist, though.

I bounce between living with my parents and living with my crazy girlfriend in order to avoid getting a job. I get dropped from my dad's insurance next month, though, so I need to figure out a way to pay my bills.

Part of me enjoys being able to talk about how crazy my life is; the other part is lying awake at 3am wondering what the hell I'm doing with my life.
>>
>>7434217
I wrote a book and I'm trying to get it published
I like to write shit. It's fun and doing anything else makes me want to kill myself
I'll inevitably have to do something else but until then I'll have fun
>>
>>7434217

I want to be a writer because I don't know if I can do anything else.
>>
>>7434392
zoom fast pupper
>>
>>7434380
Enjoying it is as shallow a reason as identity
>>
>>7434217
I don't think i will ever read enough to feel i can write something, eventhough i know i have talent.
I am more concerned about keep reading the things i find interesting.
>>
>>7434217
I don't want to be a writer, but I've recently started pursuing an artistic field again after dropping out of a stem degree because of dissatisfaction.
>>
File: 1438904487542-3.jpg (39 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1438904487542-3.jpg
39 KB, 500x375
>>7434217

I want to be a writer because every other form of work is unbearable and a waste of time.
>>
>>7434392
Zoom fast pupper
>>
>>7434217
all i know is music and books

i really don't have much of a future in anything else desu
>>
>>7434392
zoom fast pupper
>>
I don't have the best discipline but i do write, read books about writing, listen to podcasts about writing, and have an English degree with a writing emphasis.
I also romanticize the idea. Writing is my dream job.
It's possible to do both.
>>
>>7434966
Writing is the best waste of time.
>>
>>7434392
zoom fast pupper
>>
I`m in last year of University and after beating the idea around, decided to start writing since I opted out of having any artistic pursuits most of my life. I hope to be actively pursuing the goal.. trying to start hammering down a solid schedule and all that.

So now, if I`ve just started trying to write more seriously (as in I`ve played around but never finished anything significant) should I be entering contest/using them as milestones? Or just working on the craft before I start putting things out there.

On one hand I don't want to churn out shit but on the other its my last year of school here, would be pretty sweet to pull off a miracle and win an award. There's a lot of free contest out there.
>>
>>7434392
Then you keep at it friend. The worst thing in life is to go on in misery because your passion is deemed unworthy of praise or attention.

zoom fast, based pupper

>>7434414
Get a job, even if part time it will help assuage those 4am sweats at least a little. Not having to rely on other people to eat is a huge step for confidence, and even if you work 9-5 5 days a week, there is still plenty of time to write.

>>7434463
What's your book about, friend?

>>7434957
There's nothing wrong with that. Way too much emphasis is placed on STEM and needing to "le contribute to advancing society," as if even 1/100 BS/BEng students go on to Doctorate programs, and even then manage to do anyhting meaningful besides teach.

Art and understanding it is a cornerstone of Western society that people nowadays are quick to scoff at, and it's really going to mess things up for future generations if we continue down this path.
>>
>>7435442
I took up STEM after I "couldn't" do my work anymore and dropped out of conservatory.
>>
>>7434392
zoom fast pupper
>>
i don't care about the writer identity. i write.
>>
>>7434217
You should be a writer because you value story. Anything else is pure autism and impure art tbhf
>>
I write for a marketing company

Its not literary by any means but i get paid to read and learn how to write so I can't complain. I don't think I could write a book or whatever bc I don't have the talent or originality to bother with it; i really just read to become a more interesting conversationalist if we're being honest
>>
>>7436058
No.
>>
File: zVtwZbb.jpg (139 KB, 579x527) Image search: [Google]
zVtwZbb.jpg
139 KB, 579x527
>>7436058
>>
>>7436147
>>7436156
Being a writer doesn't mean that you'll only write books. There are tons of things that a writer can do, like a drawer could be a lot of things if he wanted.
>>
>>7434217
I'm a writer because i've never read a book that entirely sates my own imagination.
It's an entirely selfless activity that i don't really intend to share with anyone.
>>
>>7436058
Impure art?
What does that even mean?
>>
>>7434217

Its because i want to smoke cigarettes and drink black coffee and not be judged for it. Also become a raging alcoholic
>>
>>7434392
zoom fast pupper
>>
the latter. I don't get what's wrong with romanticizing it. out of all the professions out there, you'd think writing of fiction would be most amenable to romanticism.
>>
File: 1418049443841.png (246 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
1418049443841.png
246 KB, 550x535
>>7434217
Some of my highschool classmates now are married, others have had children.
I want to be a writer in order to give a sense of all these years almost wasted with low wage jobs and closed in my childhood bedroom reading classics.

I just want to give a meaning to all this.
>>
>>7434244

It's effectively the difference between wanting to write and wanting to have written. One is a daydream with no substance and one is an ambition-driven goal.
>>
>>7434217
I want to write, because I want to tell a good story that other people can enjoy.

There is literally no other reason.
>>
I want to be a writer. I've got a huge imagination and the vocabulary to put it on pages where lots of people can enjoy what I have to share. Things are coming together. I've been hard at this for 10 years. Time to cash in
>>
I took up writing because I am very lonely and all the communication I participate in feels incomplete. Writing fiction gives me the feeling of control my life usually lacks. I would like to to make money from my writing so I can continue doing it, and not have to live in the 9-5 world.
>>
>>7434217
Pointless thread everybody who just like the idea will say they is legit. Not like I. True writer need the shitty thread like OP need live.
>>
>>7438183
You wont find any. All you will find is shitty writing
>>
Because I have to come.
Otherwise I won't exist in this world.
>>
>>7434392
zoom fast pupper
>>
Parents have always said I've had a knack for writing. Went into college with no idea what I wanted to do, so I just rolled for it. Studying Journalism, maybe I'll do some creative stuff on the side.

Anybody that says they aren't even somewhat thrilled with the idea of being a writer is a liar. The whole practice is getting money and attention for your sweet ass ideas. It's masturbation.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.