[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where am I supposed to meet people with an interest in literature,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 300x175) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 300x175
Where am I supposed to meet people with an interest in literature, the arts, and philosophy? I've managed to carve out a pretty wide social circle for myself over the past few years, but it primarily consists of people who just want to drink or smoke all the time. Those activities are fun and certainly have their time and place, but I want some patrician friends as well.

So far /lit/ is the best I've got
>>
>>7434113
/lit/ basically.

There are plenty of women that read but they are almost always consumers of best sellers and sympathetic low-lit novels. Sometimes they will read something good (my mom shocked me reading death comes for the archbishop) but mostly the top tier is Franzen.

There are very few men I know who read other than news. The nerds i hung out with in hs read forgotten realms and warhammer stuff, and some of the guys in college were into GRRM, and some of the medical residents I know will read something ideological or non-fiction, but no one into award winning contemporary /lit/ or meme books or anything else you see here. Honestly, if you are young and move to NYC you could probably fall into a /lit/ crowd if you hang around st marks or local book stores, or are at an ivy league, but im not that young anymore.

I may be totally wrong, but when I go to local libraries I see lots of older well dressed people, fat older moms who arent well dressed with terrible books, nerdy teen boys reading YA, and teen girls sitting in circles with their phones out talking.

someone please be my book friend.
>>
I'll be your cohort. Meet me at the café downtown on friday afternoon. Bring a notepad.
>>
I've had the same issues. Back in high school, I made a friend who liked to read and we had half our classes together so we'd literally made sure we had the same book and read it so we could talk about it the next day. We were girls so we read the Divergent and Hunger Games crap. Eventually I grew out of it and started reading classics, and I found another 2 other friends to talk /lit/ but they both were beyond my level at the time, so I just stuck to forums and reviews to help me talk about /lit/.
>>
>>7434113
You can meet them in graduate school, around graduate schools, at academic conferences, in academic indie bookstores.
>>
I don't know. I have two friends who read but they aren't artist types really, just normal guys with research jobs. They read stuff like Murakami or McCarthy. Whenever a sort of popular, sort of alternative book comes out I can talk about it with them. I only know one guy who reads classics, I met him in college. He's a poet and does readings, so maybe go to readings or smaller bookstore events?

I would say 99% of guys I meet don't read fiction at all. It's tough.
>>
>>7434301
So is academia really the only hope?
>>
>>7434837
You could also have children and teach them to become patrician so they can discuss with you once they can articulate themselves well.
>>
>>7434846
But I'd need to find a patrician woman for that to work, or I run the risk of my children taking after the plebeian side of the family
>>
>>7434869
I think any educated woman would support your endeavor if she loved you and would try to elevate herself in the process for her children.
>>
>>7434837
You don't have to be in it yourself to attend those events and areas where academics hang around.

But yes, if you want someone with a significant level of knowledge in humanities, you would want to look around places where people devote their lives to that.
>>
>>7434113
It's probably a lot harder if you don't go to a top-tier college. People at Ivy-league schools have all sorts of problems and aren't necessarily super-interesting, but they by and large have read a lot of books worth talking about and will talk about them for fun.
>>
>>7434878
Most of the people I knew who went to top tier schools don't care about literature or philosophy or anything like that. Many of them were the types who felt such pursuits were pointless because they weren't likely to make you rich.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.