[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I write fiction? Nothing interests me enough to write
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
How do I write fiction?
Nothing interests me enough to write a story about it. And when I do try to do it, I'll usually get around 2000 words in before I completely resolve the story and there's nowhere else to go with it. If I try to push it beyond that it feels like I'm fluffing it and not actually adding any new content.
How do you actually tell a story? I can't imagine writing 50,000 words about one story. Person has to do something. They do it. The end, that's the story. Right?
>>
Maybe you should get a different hobby.
>>
>>7432525

Well, how do other people do it?
Let's say I want to write a story about something like a guy trying to get started as a professional MMA fighter. I could write a nice little fight. That's a couple thousand words. Now if I do that again in the story it seems repetitive. So now what do I do? Add in a love interest? Well, that's not necessary information. He's a fighter, it should be about him fighting. Talk about why he got into fighting? Okay, maybe that's another 500 words at the most. Everything seems like unnecessary information. So now I'm left with 2500 words about why a guy learned to fight and showing him fighting someone. That's not even worth reading. And that's how every single story idea I have goes.
>>
>>7432520

What fiction books have you read?
>>
>>7432530

Let's say you wanted to write a story about a guy that wanted to get started a professional MMA fighter. Why would you already be writing a fight? That start as a prompt but your story is everything that got him to that point (and what comes after it). Just start asking yourself questions.

Why does he want to be a fighter? How did he get this fight? How did he train for this fight? Is there any one in the audience supporting him? (Why or why not?), etc.

Between describing the hell out of shit and actually making room for the characters to do some stuff it should work out. Probably. 2500 words is a good summary though.
>>
why don't you try reading a fucking book
>>
>>7432578
basically this
>>
>>7432520
Why are you asking for advice on how to do something that doesn't interest you? Are you a best-selling genre fiction author with a tight publishing deadline and severe amnesia?

...because that would be pretty cool.
>>
>>7432578
This.
>>
>>7432520
write about philosophy then hide it under allegories and metaphors + skeleton dragons if you find it necessary = proffit
>>
>>7434795
Are you speaking of the Malazan books?

Because those shits reads like some philosophical ramblings.
>>
>>7432643
>Why are you asking for advice on how to do something that doesn't interest you?
For some reason this happens all the time on literature-related forums.
You would never see something like this anywhere else-- you wouldn't see a person go on /mu/ and say "I can't sing or play an instrument, how do I create my own album?", or a person go on /biz/ and say "I have never taken an economics class in my life, how do I start a hedgefund?"-- but for some reason people constantly come on here with bullshit like
>I can't really describe things, how do I write my fantasy book?

It's like people have a strange conception that they possess divine prerogative to write a book/poem and even if this is an obvious impossibility they will try to frame things as a small setback (see: "can't write" becomes "I have constant writers' block")
>>
>>7432520
I don't know man, but that dragon is pretty righteous.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.