[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone recommend me a book or books similar to Mulholland
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: md_regular1.jpg (344 KB, 650x975) Image search: [Google]
md_regular1.jpg
344 KB, 650x975
Can anyone recommend me a book or books similar to Mulholland Drive in style or subject.

I've found a few Latin American detective/mystery novels, set in the 80's and 90's with elements of psychedelia and political conspiracies, where the murders or mysteries are never solved and the protagonists are left battered and worse off than before, or dead.
Anyone have any leads?
>>
>>7432435
By the way, I just looked up Paul Auster because of the thread from earlier and the New York Trilogy looks like it's getting close to what I want.
>>
>>7432438

Paul Auster is not like Lynch. Kafka is like Lynch
>>
File: alphonse_leon_noel.jpg (101 KB, 400x513) Image search: [Google]
alphonse_leon_noel.jpg
101 KB, 400x513
>>7432435
what are the Latin American books you describe?

Read the book of Wild at Heart its good
>>
>>7432435
obvious choice but 2666

The Rat Trilogy (with Dance, Dance, Dance) would be up your alley too i think
>>
Early Haruki Murakami is very Lynchian at times.

He's not the most popular author on this board but has his fans, myself included.
>>
That's a pretty dumb poster.
>>
>>7432534
Not OP but can you recommand the most surrealistic ones ?
>>
>>7432541
His first three (Pinball, 1973, Hear the Wind Sing and Wild Sheep Chase) form a trilogy that gets progressively more surreal. The first two are very short and easy to read.

After Dark, again, very short, conveys a great atmosphere that has a surreal feeling to it (one that perfectly captures what it's like to be awake in the early hours of the morning after a long day).

He has other surreal books, but if you're not familiar with his work they are good starting points.
>>
>>7432521
Mario Mendoza's Scorpio City has been one of the best examples of what I'm talking about. Leñero's El garabato is somewhat so, as well as Morirás lejos by Jose Emilio Pacheco. Even moreso, Sábato's two longer novels, Sobre héroes y tumbas and Abaddón el exterminador are sort of philosophical crime novels.
>>
>>7432548
Thans Anon, I'll check it
>>
>>7432438
Came here to recommend that.
>>
Kafka, but it's more lie the "early" Lynch (the short movies, Eraserhead etc.) Lynch himself almost adapted The Metamorphosis to big screen.

Since Lynch adapted Wild at Heart for big screen and Barry Gifford co-write Lost Highway - very similar in theme and structure to Mulholland Drive -, Gifford is a obvious recomendation.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.